I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Gem35

RE: I can't see the Japanese ships anymore in combat

Post by Gem35 »

before i try and install 1.804 comp, can I install just that patch to a different directory/folder and try it?
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Do you have a stable installation of regular (non-mod) WITP? If so, you might try it... if not, start over.
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Ok, all the way up from 1.21 to 1.3 to 1.4 to 1.5 and to 1.6 all is well. I am afraid to load 1.804 comp now....
I even downloaded the patch 2 times and saved it to 2 different locations.
A bit gunshy at this point....

Yeah installing all those intermediate patches might be the problem. I wouldn't install them. I would jsut install the original media and then 1.8.0.4 comp and then 1.8.0.6 incremental.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Ok, all the way up from 1.21 to 1.3 to 1.4 to 1.5 and to 1.6 all is well. I am afraid to load 1.804 comp now....
I even downloaded the patch 2 times and saved it to 2 different locations.
A bit gunshy at this point....

Ecchh... don't do it this way... just go from original to 1.804 comprehensive... then 1.806....

i'm with Joe - trying to install each and every patch is probably going to cause problems.
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Do you have a stable installation of regular (non-mod) WITP? If so, you might try it... if not, start over.
Yes, that is what I am installing, vanilla original recipe witp version 1.21.
That works , what does not appear to work is when I go from 1.21 to 1.804 comprehensive and the glitch happens.
I only install those two(1.21 and 1.804 nothing else) and I have the problem of not seeing the jap ships.
The reason I tried using all of the patches(1.3,1.4 etc) is to see if this issue appears and so far it does not appear UNTIL I install that 1.804 patch.
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Yes, that is what I am installing, vanilla original recipe witp version 1.21.
That works , what does not appear to work is when I go from 1.21 to 1.804 comprehensive and the glitch happens.
I only install those two(1.21 and 1.804 nothing else) and I have the problem of not seeing the jap ships.
The reason I tried using all of the patches(1.3,1.4 etc) is to see if this issue appears and so far it does not appear UNTIL I install that 1.804 patch.
Sounds like you have a corrupted download of the 1.804 download.

Try again - and make sure you have the COMPREHENSIVE download (it is pretty large).

i installed using this method a few months ago (1.21 - 1.804 Comp - then 1.806 rev) and it should work just fine.
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

I'll try downloading it one more time and hope it works.

[center]Image[/center]
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

I tried re-downloading the 1.804 patch and for whatever reason that patch is the one causing my headache. I updated my video drivers and that didnt help.
I guess I will just have to run the game with 1.6 patch and live with it until AE comes out.
I hope I can still play AE without having latest patch , otherwise I sadly have to say I cannot play in anymore reindeer games.[:(]

[center]Image[/center]
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

Update!! The problem disappeared after I did a fresh install of Windows!!
Thanks to all who tried to help me.[&o]
Back to the action!!![&o][&o]

[center]Image[/center]
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

All's well that ends well - glad you finally recovered!
[:)]
AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Yes, although iirc, there was something about (maybe) recently installing Xp Service Pack 3 recently that is disturbing... if that is the case, we may have to be on the lookout for more problems like this.

i suspect that another person's suggestion that that CODEC was screwed up by something Windows did/installed might be the underlying problem.
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Yes, although iirc, there was something about (maybe) recently installing Xp Service Pack 3 recently that is disturbing... if that is the case, we may have to be on the lookout for more problems like this.

i suspect that another person's suggestion that that CODEC was screwed up by something Windows did/installed might be the underlying problem.
Thanks.[:)]
For the record , though I have re-installed Windows XP Home with Service pack 2, I have not installed Service pack 3 this time around as I did earlier about the same time i started seeing this strange issue and my PC seemed VERY sluggish.
I am not implying that service pack 3 was the problem but the coincidence is there.

[center]Image[/center]
RRStewart

Post by RRStewart »

So you're not the only one with this problem!  Since XP SP3, I've had the exact same "arrow issue".  After more WITP reinstalls than I can explain... both mod'd and unmod'd... the arrows persevere.  I have not tried a reinstall of XP or a roll-back to SP2.  Did you ever find a fix, Gem35... other than not updating to SP3?  Thanks much for any suggestion!

I just hope that the Devs make AE "arrow free".
tabpub

Post by tabpub »

It's a memory issue; I turn off all extraneous programs before watching the replay now, otherwise I have the same thing. I guess I have to dig up some more RAM now.....
Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: tabpub

It's a memory issue; I turn off all extraneous programs before watching the replay now, otherwise I have the same thing. I guess I have to dig up some more RAM now.....
i strongly recommend that
1) always run the replay from a fresh boot and
2) never have anything else running in the background unless it is absolutely necessary.

This will help avoid replay bug, as well as other problems like this.

i had one WITP problem that i could reproduce consistently, but the troubleshooters never could... the problem was solved when i disabled the screensaver i had...[8|] [:D]

EDIT: turned out the screensaver was a memory hog.
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

It's NOT a memory issue, my machine has more RAM(4GB) and an E6600 overclocked to 3.0 ghz along with a 3870 video card which shreds any recommended WitP requirements. I am a PC geek who builds and "plays with" PC hardware. I know what I am doing.
It either was a spyware issue which perhaps "ate" up all of my RAM or a compatability issue with  XP Service pack 3.(some motherboards do not like service pack 3 for some reason)
The only fix was re-installing windows and problem disappeared.
I am now running Vista Home premium 64-bit without ANY issues so far.
Sorry you are having problems RRS.
It is not fun, I empathize with you my friend.[:)]

[center]Image[/center]
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

I've seen those image placeholders, but only when playing witp via VMWare Fusion on my mac. Is it a memory issue? I'm only allocating 1GB of ram to the virtual machine, so I wouldn't be surprised in my case.
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

It's NOT a memory issue, my machine has more RAM(4GB) and an E6600 overclocked to 3.0 ghz along with a 3870 video card which shreds any recommended WitP requirements. I am a PC geek who builds and "plays with" PC hardware. I know what I am doing.
It either was a spyware issue which perhaps "ate" up all of my RAM or a compatability issue with  XP Service pack 3.(some motherboards do not like service pack 3 for some reason)
The only fix was re-installing windows and problem disappeared.
I am now running Vista Home premium 64-bit without ANY issues so far.
Sorry you are having problems RRS.
It is not fun, I empathize with you my friend.[:)]
Perhaps, but certain programs (including some screen savers) will soak up ALL available memory, leading to problems... i could see how virus/worm/malware could do this as well, although certainly other effects could be in play.

BTW, i am finding some malware can and will get through the router firewall, Windows firewall, antiviral programs, and various anti-spyware/anti-malware programs... best solution i've found is Malwarebytes AntiMalware (download free)... my brother in-law just installed it on his machine protected by at least 4 different layers of security (including all the things listed above)... Malwarebytes found no less than 20 different infestations (and removed them all).

EDIT: Windows Xp Service Pack 3 has been reported to cause problems with WITP by several reports, although i don't think everyone is affected... i have elected not to install it.
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

SP3 might be my problem FWIW. My new macbook has a fresh copy of XP Home with SP3. Only time I've ever had problems with witp, including a few freeze-ups and missing images during combat resolution. ONly run through a couple turns but we'll see.
Salamandra

Post by Salamandra »

Hi there,

I had the same exact problem :

MS XP SP3
symptoms:
no japanaes ships/ subs
no ships at all during naval combat
when selecting a scenario, when you read the background and stuff, there should be 3 buttons (confirm scenario, go back to menu..) but it only shows arrows like the arrows for the dissapearing ships.

How did i solve this ?

I reinstalled the game under another folder e.g. c:\bis\Matrix\...

I moved all my art, sound, map etc to this folder by extracting in a loose folder and from there copy paste in my new directory.

What i suspect ...
1. corrupt installer from time to time...
2. problem with izarc my extracter ...?

so this is resolved for me for the time being...

Good luck
Salmandra

Return to “Tech Support”