Pulling Guard

Questions, comments, suggestions regarding the use of the PDS to create and modify plays and formations for Maximum-Football

Moderator: David Winter

Brockleigh

Pulling Guard

Post by Brockleigh »

For when I'm back up and running...

Has anyone come up with an effective means of having a guard pull for a trap or sweep? I've experimented a little with it, but nothing where the Guard is doing anything but leaving a hole in the line.
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum.

DAWUSS

RE: Pulling Guard

Post by DAWUSS »

Same here. I know for one play, I had to have a QB and any other non carrying players block where the pulling linemen used to be.

Stretch plays are miserable for me.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

I've pulled guards for sweep, power, and trap plays.  I know others have as well.

I back him up and move him over.

Brockleigh

Post by Brockleigh »

I've pulled guards for sweep, power, and trap plays.  I know others have as well.

I back him up and move him over

Can you post a screen shot? I've tried a couple different angles without success.

It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum.

Marauders

Post by Marauders »

I posted one some time ago. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Until then, here are a few helpers.

Trap Plays
Deft stated: I have been able to run several trap plays successfully. You can get my plays from FBMax.com

Some hints:

Use move to commands for pulling guards until they are into the hole.
Evaluate the movement of the pulling guards in practice for interference with other blockers. This really effects timing of the play.
Pass Blocking for the opposite tackle can pickup some of the rushers on the backside of the play.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

Here is a good explanation from nmleague:
I create the first movement point about a half yard back and the side of the pull. Then give there OL a move to that point logic. I then create the next movement point, depending on the play and the need to block anyone blitzing. For example for a sweep, for the front side OG I will have him pull back and start to lead (as above) the second movent point will be in a straight line to the side run probably to point outside the OT, the OG will be given move to logic to get to that point. From there i create another point about 5 yards upfield and anglling to the outside. Here I give the OG lead block and move to point logic. At the last point I give them block nearest.

The problem is if you give an OL lead block logic, if an defender is within a yard of them they target that player instead of follwing the movenment path.

For a OF pulling from the side away from the play I probably have him move to a point behind the C, then create a point about behind the OT and give him a lead block logic. THat way if a DL or LB is penatrating on the side of the play he will hopefully pick it up. I no on penatrates they will continue outside. Then at that point give them lead block logic again and move to a point outside and up field.

Play with this and see how it works out. Also check the sweep and count plays in the stock one back offense to see how it works.

Here is the play referenced from the playbook:

Attachments
Pulling.jpg
Pulling.jpg (109.35 KiB) Viewed 220 times
hack153

Post by hack153 »

here's an example of what i use for traps and counters. 

here are the things that i do:
1.) pull a TE or move the FB to fill the hole left open.
2.)have a OL-man block left or right (depending where the opening is)
3.)have a OL-man slide over then block,
4.)have a OL-man move forward at an angle (lead blocking, then block)

Attachments
Ace Big Counter.jpg
Ace Big Counter.jpg (65.4 KiB) Viewed 220 times
UPFL is in the off season...
United Premier Football League
hack153

Post by hack153 »

here's an example of what i use for a sweep. i pull the tackle or guard, and have the player to the outside of them, block out.

in a no TE formation, i drop tackle back at an angle (usually to the hash mark behind then) and pull the guard to lead the way.

Attachments
Ace Big Sweep.jpg
Ace Big Sweep.jpg (52.36 KiB) Viewed 220 times
UPFL is in the off season...
United Premier Football League
Old Coach

Post by Old Coach »

Here's some more guard action. In order for them to block effectively, guards must be the fastest linemen on the OL and should be given an SPD about equal to a FB. That may seem unrealistic, but in the real world, guards can have a good burst of speed for a short distance. To make plays work in the MaxFB world, sometimes, you have to fudge a little on atrributes.

Old Coach

Attachments
SweepPlay.jpg
SweepPlay.jpg (185.99 KiB) Viewed 220 times

Return to “Play Development System (PDS)”