Graphics question

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

FM WarB

Graphics question

Post by FM WarB »

I've been looking at AARs and screenshots from various sources. The Armored vehicle graphics appear much worse than those I remember from the original game. I liked the old grapics. Are the new graphics as bad as they look in the screenshots I've seen?
marcbarker

RE: Graphics question

Post by marcbarker »

some are but remeber thus us just a game with a ton of enhancements...rather have the enhancements the the fluff
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re
cw58

Post by cw58 »

ORIGINAL: FM WarB

I've been looking at AARs and screenshots from various sources. The Armored vehicle graphics appear much worse than those I remember from the original game. I liked the old grapics. Are the new graphics as bad as they look in the screenshots I've seen?

A lot of the new graphics were introduced in 1.03 & 1.04 (I think). The new armored graphics incorporated camouflage(sp?) which a lot of people like because it's more realistic. Others prefer the old icons because they're easier to see. If you have the original game(s) or the Matrix versions 1.0-1.2, you can replace any new icons that you don't like with the old ones. I use a mix of old and new icons, whatever works best for my tired old eyes. [;)]
FM WarB

Post by FM WarB »

I just purchased the Matrix version. I notice 3d pictures coming from both EFII and WF (TS editions) in the Matrix WF file.
Do the numbers match up in all cases?
Does the game use only in the Special folder to display in game?
cw58

Post by cw58 »

I just purchased the Matrix version. I notice 3d pictures coming from both EFII and WF (TS editions) in the Matrix WF file.
Do the numbers match up in all cases?
Does the game use only in the Special folder to display in game?
I'm not sure I understand the first question so I'll try to answer the second. The icons in the "Special" folder are used depending on the date of the scenario. The "E-Up" files are used for early scenarios, the "L-Up" files for late scenarios and the "S-Up" files for winter or snow scenarios. If a unit does not have an icon in the "Special" folder, it will use the default icon in the main folder.
FM WarB

Post by FM WarB »

Thanks for your responses. It must have taken some time, getting the old icons back. Infantry is very difficult to see, 3d with the new files.
Maybe its my screen resolution? I currently use 1280x720, 32 bit.
umbro

Post by umbro »

Turn unit bases on makes things a lot easier...

umbro
FM WarB

Post by FM WarB »

umbro,
I dont remember needing bases in the good ole TS daze. Are my eyes that much worse?
umbro

Post by umbro »

'Fraid so brother...

umbro
FM WarB

Post by FM WarB »

where are my specticles?....lol
FM WarB

Post by FM WarB »

cw58,
Changing color form 32 bit to 16 bit on my monitor has seemed to help. Are you also using some old infantry icons?
Do you have the old inf and armor icons you have successfully integrated conveniently bundled to send?

I can do it with JSMGE if that helps. thanks, incase.

Warren
cw58

Post by cw58 »

FM WarB

Sorry about the delay in answering. I've been preoccupied with moving to another house. That is such a drag.

Yes, I am using some old infantry icons but unfortunately I don't have them 'bundled'. I doubt that would work because of the difference in people's preferences.

I borrowed mine from earlier versions of the Matrix release. I just picked the old ones I liked and replaced the new ones. I think you could use the graphics from the Talonsoft version if you have that. But I've heard rumors about some icons being upgraded to 32-bit or some such thing. I don't know how that will effect things.

Wish I could be more help. Good luck.
FM WarB

Post by FM WarB »

I have found, and downloaded a version 1.02 upgrade. I originally downloaded the game from Matrix and updated to 1.04. Can I "upgrade" to 1.02, for the purpose of saving the grphics files elsewhere, then RE upgrade to 1.04 without any problems?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

I have found, and downloaded a version 1.02 upgrade. I originally downloaded the game from Matrix and updated to 1.04. Can I "upgrade" to 1.02, for the purpose of saving the grphics files elsewhere, then RE upgrade to 1.04 without any problems?

As long as you don't try to run the game in after you installed the 1.02 UPDATE, saving the files (BMP and BIT) you wish to a new folder, then updating the 1.04 UPDATE, finally adding the BMP and BIT files you saved into the new folder.

Jason Petho
FM WarB

Post by FM WarB »

Thanks, Jason
I am guessing the bit files are animation files, which I cannot edit. I also guessed that for the various changes to bmp files I might like, it would be better to start with Matrix files than those which I could copy from old TS disks.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Thanks, Jason
I am guessing the bit files are animation files, which I cannot edit. I also guessed that for the various changes to bmp files I might like, it would be better to start with Matrix files than those which I could copy from old TS disks.

BMP are the graphic. [ Up01201.bmp ]

BIT are the outline. [ Op01201.bit ]

You can edit both in most graphic software (Photoshop, Paint, PhotoPaint, etc).

You need both files.

Jason Petho

FM WarB

Post by FM WarB »

thanks, again
FM WarB

Post by FM WarB »

May I also guess that I can use JSGME for this process, justincase?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

May I also guess that I can use JSGME for this process, justincase?

I would imagine, but I am not sure. I would hope a JSGME user will stand up and let you know.

Good luck!

Jason Petho
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Assuming you have installed JSGME in each game folder and it has created the Mods folder within, just gather up all your prefered bmps and bits, put them in a folder with a name that you remember what it is, and place that folder in your Mods folder. Then install with JSGME.

I'm still not sure what you think was better in TCS. I suspect you played back in the 800x600 days and things look different now with larger screens and smaller icons. LCDs might look different than CRTs too.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”