Arena Football League Suspends 2009 Season

A forum for discussion of real world football leagues, teams, players, and coaches.

Moderator: David Winter

Brockleigh

Arena Football League Suspends 2009 Season

Post by Brockleigh »

New York, NY (Sports Network) - The Arena Football League's board of directors has decided to suspend the 2009 season while the league works on developing a long-term plan to improve its economic model.

"Every owner in the AFL is strongly committed to the league, the game, and, most importantly, the fans," said acting commissioner Ed Policy. "Owners, however, recognize that, especially in light of the current unprecedented economic climate, the AFL, as a business enterprise, needs to be restructured if it is to continue to provide its unique brand of this affordable, fan- friendly sport."

The board made the move to cancel the season, which is subject to the agreement of the players' association, in a conference call on Sunday.

"We, the owners of the Arena Football League, realize we have the most fan- friendly, affordable and accessible sport anywhere," said Jon Bon Jovi, co- owner of the Philadelphia Soul, who bested the San Jose Sabercats in ArenaBowl XXII in July. "These are trying economic times. The revamping will ensure that the AFL continues to provide value to its fans and not only survives, but thrives in the years to come."

The board had originally voted on Wednesday not to cancel the upcoming season.

The league, which was founded in 1987, has faced trouble in the offseason as longtime commissioner David Baker resigned in July and no replacement has been named. Also, the New Orleans VooDoo franchise was disbanded in October despite being near the top of the league in attendance for the past two seasons.

It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum.

Brockleigh

RE: Arena Football League Suspends 2009 Season

Post by Brockleigh »

So does this mean that now we'd be able to put rebound nets into the game?
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum.

Great White

Post by Great White »

[font="Courier New"]According to what I understand a business law, no. Remember it is just a pause in business operations; plus it would depend upon if they have patented it. If so, then it would be no, until MF was allowed to buy the right to and actually bought the right to.[/font]
Thank you. Not racist/favorite animal. Hate Madden/NCAA/Industry is behind. Past-coach/player/sports radio/referee, now-private: teacher/coach/owner-Great White's Sports Association-FootBall/Rugby/Lacrosse, planned-late ‘2010. Student/industry person? PM
mbsports

Post by mbsports »

Actually they patented it and the patent exclusivity expired and was not renewed as an so far as my patent attorney has been able to see<yes I have a patent... on a marketing system though, nothing for football>

It may have missed our desks but in all reality I'd love to have it.

On the bad side no AFL this year which is idiotic that we're playing the... "in order to save the league we need to essentially not have a league" card

Stupid.

MBFL - MB Sports Net - Simulated NFL, AFL, CFL, NFL-E
Frido1207

Post by Frido1207 »

ORIGINAL: mbsports

On the bad side no AFL this year which is idiotic that we're playing the... "in order to save the league we need to essentially not have a league" card

Stupid.

Its a little kinda "shot to death in purpose of their own security."
Hopefully they will survive, as the NHL overcome the cancelled season some years ago.
Great White

Post by Great White »

[font="Courier New"]WOW! The AFL is gone.

So, are all the rest of The AFLs gone too? I am guessing they are.
[/font]
Thank you. Not racist/favorite animal. Hate Madden/NCAA/Industry is behind. Past-coach/player/sports radio/referee, now-private: teacher/coach/owner-Great White's Sports Association-FootBall/Rugby/Lacrosse, planned-late ‘2010. Student/industry person? PM
mbsports

Post by mbsports »

No AF2 is actually pretty healthy so they're still running.&nbsp; This is more a product of the AFL itself trying to be more then it is.&nbsp;

The pricing structure for contracts, advertising, oh and David Baker's mysterious loans with apparently usurious interest mean that the entire monetary system in the AFL is out of whack.&nbsp; IE no one is making money and at least 3-4 of the owners apparently want out.&nbsp; Even if AFL returns later in 09 or in 10 you can count on the NFL owners to bail out - IE Denver, Dallas, Atlanta buh bye.&nbsp; Also don't be surprised if a few other teams want to pull the plug.&nbsp; It's a really bad situation there and a good example of what happens when you try to get too big by ways that aren't from the ground up.

Their plan seems to have been to attract big name owners and if you do that well then the fans will follow.&nbsp; To a point they had growing gates and growing revenue but at the same time they were vastly outstripping those gains by tossing a lot of money around trying to make themselves the 5th major sport.&nbsp; In all reality they're behind NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, PGA, The idioticly stupid Indycar Series<F Tony George, I hate him and the Indy 500 died after 1995 - Jacques Villeneuve was the last Indy 500 Champion>, and probably even the PBA to some extent.&nbsp; Yes Arena Football Fans - you watch the league as much as fans of the Pro Bowling Association.&nbsp;

Raise your hand if you're surprised... you shouldn't be.&nbsp; The AFL is a niche sport and attracts a niche audience.&nbsp; They tried to play with the big boys and ended up burning the house down.&nbsp; Hopefully they come back or figure some way to get a 2009 season in but I am not optimistic.

But hey MBAFL will still launch early in 2009 so I'll have something to watch for the off-season!

MBFL - MB Sports Net - Simulated NFL, AFL, CFL, NFL-E
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

I hear ya, Michael.
&nbsp;
Leagues like the AFL have to work together to keep a product stable and profitable for all of the teams.
&nbsp;
David Baker was no Wellington Mara.
Great White

Post by Great White »

[font="Courier New"]Well, I am suprised about the pricing themselves beyond what their customers will pay.
I tried, but NFLEurope was better because I like fundamentals and defense, thus cannot appreciate the all offense at the expense of fundamentals of FB. I just wish more FB fans could appreciate the fundamentals of FB and entertainment of defense.

The fact that have not heard any thing about AFL demise is proof itself in how far it had fallen, maybe partly had to do with the less fluff and more sports/higher quality of sports talk I listen to; thus, I will take your word for all that.

Having monopolies of industries is never good, I think we will continue to see professional and lower levels of FB quality get worse.
[/font]

Return to “The Red Zone!”