Defending the dam

Post tales of your great victories and humiliating defeats here to share with other gamers.
ShadoWarrior

Defending the dam

Post by ShadoWarrior »

My "B" team, which I left defending the dam (while my "A" team of six goes off and makes me money). The pic below is from a couple of turns after I let the enemy close in on my position. (The enemy starts off on the east side of the map, and they cross at the footbridge over the 'river'. You start off on the west side of the dam, north of the road.) I placed two shooters in position to guard against anyone coming across the dam, or along the west bank of the river. My third guy (which you can't see in the pic), doc Pitbull, I placed behind the sandbag MG emplacement furthest west on the road, to guard my flank against anyone trying to sneak around behind my frontline shooters.

As can be seen, by this time I've already killed one and wounded two others.
ShadoWarrior

RE: Defending the dam

Post by ShadoWarrior »

A couple of turns later. Two of the enemy (including the now-dead officer) were caught trying to move around to my flank. A such close range, a .30-06 round to the head is usually fatal.

ShadoWarrior

Post by ShadoWarrior »

After another couple of turns, the attack has all but been broken. The none-too-bright AI continued to try to charge my prepared position, or to flank it at too close a range. (If you're going to flank someone, you don't do it where they can see you. It works much better when they don't know they're being flanked.)

ShadoWarrior

Post by ShadoWarrior »

The last enemy standing. But not for long ...

ShadoWarrior

Post by ShadoWarrior »

Aftermath and overview of my position.

Chris Bisson

Post by Chris Bisson »

I like these reports. I see it as enemy delivery of needed supplies and ammo for you to use for the next battle ;) I hope some of it fits your Garand rifles though. Maybe a screenie of the looting screen would be interresting too. All in all you need to see it as easy xp. No challenge, but easy supplies as well. Lemmings just keep comming at you. ;)
What's with the negative waves?
ShadoWarrior

Post by ShadoWarrior »

No .30-06 ammo at all, alas. I acquired 3 laser-equipped AKSU-74 ARs, along with hollow-point ammo. And a bunch of 5.56x45 AP ammo that I may have to send via runner to my other squad. By this point in time HP ammo isn't very useful versus the armored enemies, so the couple of hundred rounds of 5.45x39 HP that came with the AKs doesn't do me much good. Fortunately, I left ALL my .30-06 ammo with my "B" team, and only two of them use the Garands. (Pitbull uses a .357, for which he has plenty of ammo.)
Mraah

Post by Mraah »

ORIGINAL: ShadoWarrior

No .30-06 ammo at all, alas. I acquired 3 laser-equipped AKSU-74 ARs, along with hollow-point ammo. And a bunch of 5.56x45 AP ammo that I may have to send via runner to my other squad. By this point in time HP ammo isn't very useful versus the armored enemies, so the couple of hundred rounds of 5.45x39 HP that came with the AKs doesn't do me much good. Fortunately, I left ALL my .30-06 ammo with my "B" team, and only two of them use the Garands. (Pitbull uses a .357, for which he has plenty of ammo.)

ShadoWarrior,

Thank you for posting your battle. I'm just downloading this game now ... things to look forward too!

Question ... With regards to HP ammo, in previous JA's the HP was good for hitting the legs (blew their breath away) ... Do you find the HP helpfull in this respect for HiredGuns?

Thanks,
Rob
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

nice kill zone, I never have seen them bunch up that badly yet, close, but not that badly

would be a dream for a Blooper or grenade man, if it would hit !

ShadoWarrior

Post by ShadoWarrior »

@Mraah: Hitting them in the legs with HP will do more than normal damage, and knock them down. But it is by far more effective to use ball ammo on their heads. At this stage of my game I'd only resort to using the HP ammo (aiming for the legs) if I ran out of non-HP ammo.

I took the Northern Road, Roadblock, Dam, Northern Base, and Safari sectors using HP ammo (torso hits). But I've had to switch to AP for the Rail Station and Detour Road. Based on my experience in a prior game, I'll also need AP for the Coastal City.

@Hard Sarge: silly me didn't notice that Moby Dick had a mini-grenade until after the battle was over. (I thought I'd given them all to my "A" team.) If I do send a runner with the 5.56 ammo to my "A" team, he'll bring back some grenades. I'm certain that the AI will repeat its crappy tactics. Which is good for me, since these three are my worst shooters.

Return to “After Action Reports”