UV Manuals

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

SKillelea

UV Manuals

Post by SKillelea »

I am a long time follower of this forum and of Grigsby games (back from Guadalcanal Campaign on my Apple II forward) and I am extremely excited about the game's pending release.

With that I have a question:

I understand the manual for UV is going to be a .pdf file. I am (and perhaps others are) a manual hound for games. I would like to know if it would be possible to have the manual accessible on the UV site prior to release so that I can be pouring over and devouring its contents while I wait for the final release?

I understand if this isn't possible. I am without question buying this game, I would just like to get a head start on the manual to build up my anticipation to yet another mind boggling level.

Thanks.

SKillelea
Zenra

Post by Zenra »

Ah, Guadalcanal Campaign - my brother and I used to spend hour after hour, night after night hot-seating games of GC in front of my Apple II+. It's hard to believe that was what, almost 20 years ago? Then came War in the South Pacific, and then the great (and still great) Pacific War, with PBEM a reality - boy, did I get my butt kicked when I started playing PacWar with people from all over the world! A most humbling, and enjoyable, experience; but I digress...

I certainly do understand reluctance to post the PDF manual, but I will second SKillelea's motion that such be done - we've all been living vicariously through IChristie and Snigbert's AARs, and it would be wonderful to sit back with a fresh copy of the manual while we are forced to wait for the presses to churn out and distribute this sure-to-be-classic game. Like SKillelea I am a definite sale, and I have several friends (and at least one brother!) who will definitely buy as well. At least there shouldn't be any shortage of opponents...

Anyway, great work getting the game to the gold stage, we're really looking forward to playing. Please keep giving us what you can, though, screenshots if not the manual, to keep us from going crazy with anticipation while we wait!
Mitchell
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

We thought those games on the Apple II+ were hot s**t. But we always wanted more. Took a long time but it looks like we got what we wanted. But you know how it will be - we'll want more. WITP will supply it. But after that we will want more.:D
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
SKillelea

Those heady days of youth

Post by SKillelea »

This game has me so excited I am trying to track down old High School buddies I used to play Guadalcanal Campaign and all the other old classics with. Days upon days of hot seat Apple II action! I figure once you are bitten with the love of this type of game it would never go away, right?

SKillelea
Zenra

more, More, MORE!

Post by Zenra »

Right your are, SKillelea - once bit, infected for life...

And I definitely have to agree with you, too, Sonny - we will always want more :) . However, it has been a looong time that we've really had only PacWar covering this genre & subject, so UV is most welcome. Sheesh, if I play UV for as long as PacWar has held my attention then 2x3 will have like 10 years to fininsh WitP (Yikes - don't tell them I said that...).
Mitchell
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Mitchell,

I agree. WITP will most likely be finished before I get tired of playing UV. But lets keep it to ourselves so the 2X3 guys don't get lazy and think they have years and years to make WITP.:D
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

We discussed this issue quite a bit and decided that the game should be kept as a single entity.

We are confident that this game sets the new standard for full sea-air-land operational level games. Everyone who has played it has been bowled over by the quality, rock solid stability and engrossing game play.

I know folks want a taste, but its in the works as we speak and will be available soon. Hold on and you will be amply rewarded!
mogami

Patience

Post by mogami »

'O dreary life,' we cry, ' O dreary life ! '
And still the generations of the birds
Sing through our sighing, and the flocks and herds
Serenely live while we are keeping strife
With Heaven's true purpose in us, as a knife
Against which we may struggle ! Ocean girds
Unslackened the dry land, savannah-swards
Unweary sweep, hills watch unworn, and rife
Meek leaves drop yearly from the forest-trees
To show, above, the unwasted stars that pass
In their old glory: O thou God of old,
Grant me some smaller grace than comes to these !--
But so much patience as a blade of grass
Grows by, contented through the heat and cold

Hi, I remember when I first heard about this project. I was very excited at the prospect. I bought Pac War right when it was first released and carried the rule book to work to read on my breaks.
I worked 12 hour shifts and as soon as I got home I went straight to the computer and played till I passed out during my orders phase several hours later. I was not on the internet back in those days but I taught one of my friends to play and we hotseated the War over and over. Like all things new it occupied all my spare time and after a year or so we began the inevitable wish list "I love this game but wouldn't it be nice if...."
When the UV forum first opened I was busy with other other projects (designing my battles in MCNA and MCWT) so I only peeked in from time to time. After 9/11 I was busy trying to get back on active duty (I almost made it) Then one day I saw the beta testers had been picked and was really upset with myself for not paying better attention. (Want to bet I live in the Witp forum starting in about 6 months)
For me the experiance of reading this forum and following the progress and then having the AAR's to read has been like watching Mt Rushmore being carved. You know it's a great piece of work and you admire the artists but you really want to see the finished product. It's almost home.
I wish I worked for Matrix, I consider it my internet home it has become my favorite war game site. (In fact it is my first and only war game site) I stumbled across it through Rich Dionnes website concerning Pac War if I recall correctly. At that time I was waiting for a never finished project (Civil War Generals III) I discovered Matrix was a group of wargamers as crazy about war games as I was. SPWaW WIR and PacWar where and remain my 3 favorite games. Seeing what Matrix has done to them I can only gasp at what I think UV will be like. (Rapture)
I think UV is going to end a long and beautiful relationship. Ultimatly it will be Witp I am sure.
I can hardly wait....Thank you Matrixgames for making a dream come true.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Mike Wood

Re: Patience

Post by Mike Wood »

Hello...

Not only your dream. I had long wished to work with Gary on a game and having become familiar with the way he and Keith coded from earlier projects (PacWar: Matrix Project and SPWaW) I was delighted to find working with them on a daily basis to be such fun.

I played the living beans out of PacWar, which was my favorite game of all time (until Uncommon Valor), but was aware of many limitations in the game that could not be overcome in a DOS environment (I kept running clean out of memory programming PacWar: Matrix Project). With no such limitation developing for the Windows environment, Gary, David, Joel and I went feature crazy and added more and more features (which put the release date off later and later). We finally decided the rest of the features would have to wait for the patch (really an upgrade).

We tried to make the game so that the ships, aircraft and officers would behave the way the player might expect them to in real life. We tried to face the players with the same decisions and issues that the field commander would face. Basically, we tried to make a good war game because we like to play good war games.

We Really Hope You Like the Game...

Michael Wood

P.S. If you like the game tell all your friends, if not tell us and we will try to fix it.

Post by juliet7bravo »

Ever play the old game "StarFlight"? Only game that ever came close to matching PW in depth and playablility...my two all-time favorite games and they're both "stone age". Doesn't say much for "modern games". They're kinda like extremely good looking women. Look really good when you're shopping, but have no depth/replay value, usually lousy in bed and require alot of maintenance, LOL.
Zenra

OT: Good old games

Post by Zenra »

He he - StarFlight, now that does bring back some good, old memories :) ... I remember being crazy for the game for a while, but for whatever reason not for as long as for some others. Is StarFlight still around / available somewhere? I recently started playing another great old DOS game: Star Fleet II Krellan Commander - it turns out that one of the original developers, Dr. Trevor Sorensen, is still involved and has fixed up a lot of problems with the original. It's depth and play value still ranks with the best of them, IMO, despite being largely text-based. Thanks for the memory...
Mitchell
Dugthethug

Post by Dugthethug »

To fellow wargamers. anyone know where i can download the manual to War In The South Pacific on the net? I tried the apple II emulator wargame page but could not find the manual.

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”