Older Hardware

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

ralphtricky

Older Hardware

Post by ralphtricky »

I want to get an idea of how many people are using older hardware.

There are two things going on. One is that the new compiler (VS 2008) doesn't support Window 98 any more. There may be some options to get it to work on Windows 98, but it makes it more likely that something will break for a windows 98 version.

If I set some special compiler options I can get TOAW to run faster, but it requires Pentium IVs.

One possibility is to provide a normal distribution for people with faster machines, and either on demand or part of the package a second set for people running Windows 98 or slower computers.

If you're not sure or have two machines, please pick the older machine.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
L`zard

RE: Older Hardware

Post by L`zard »

Ralph;

Specs: P4 2.4 and XP pro....expect to upgrade to next gen puter (duo-core) around May....Vista only when I'm forced to, LOL!

Hope everyone gets with this poll,eh?

Kurt
"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I am running Win98, but it really doesn't count as I had the machine built for gaming, around 2002. I'm not sure exactly what it is or how to tell, but there is a sticker on the front that says 'Pentium 4'. Stickers don't lie, right? And I guess to answer the poll, would I pick Pentium IV?
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

I want to get an idea of how many people are using older hardware.

There are two things going on. One is that the new compiler (VS 2008) doesn't support Window 98 any more. There may be some options to get it to work on Windows 98, but it makes it more likely that something will break for a windows 98 version.

If I set some special compiler options I can get TOAW to run faster, but it requires Pentium IVs.

One possibility is to provide a normal distribution for people with faster machines, and either on demand or part of the package a second set for people running Windows 98 or slower computers.

What will happen if we vote more than once? Some of us have multiple platforms. I've got a Win98 desktop and an XP Celeron laptop (and there was no "Celeron" option for hardware).
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
I am running Win98, but it really doesn't count as I had the machine built for gaming, around 2002. I'm not sure exactly what it is or how to tell, but there is a sticker on the front that says 'Pentium 4'. Stickers don't lie, right? And I guess to answer the poll, would I pick Pentium IV?
The CPU inside the machine ( hardware ) might be a Pentium IV but you say the operating system is Win98. So the hardware is capable of running P4 code but the operating system isn't ( probably ) running P4 code because it doesn't have the routines. That's my guess.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

Sadly, you'd pick 98.

It looks like I'll probalby need to support it in some manner.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

I have an athlon 3000.  I suppose that counts in the p4 category?
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

AMD Duron with 1300 MHz.. i selected Pentium III, the OS is WinXP.

For you Win98 folks, check this out: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=91
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: rich12545

I have an athlon 3000.  I suppose that counts in the p4 category?
I think so. Accoriding to the wikipedia, anything AMD introduced compatiple processors in 2003 with the AMD 64 series.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
Jeff Norton

Post by Jeff Norton »

Low end P4-esque with a single core.

My backup machine has the same one - gotta love those Socket A boards - tough as nails.
-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite
Boonierat

Post by Boonierat »

Whatever you do Ralph, please don't turn TOAW into a ressource-hungry hog [;)]
alexzhz

Post by alexzhz »

The old one is Celeron 1.33G ,still working stably and being used to play TOAW.
It seems I have to give it up. [:(]

secadegas

Post by secadegas »

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

(please)
Ditto
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: Boonierat
I'm keeping it lean and mean. Actually the new supply calculations are a lot faster than the old ones.

I'm trying to make it easier to learn, though. There are some of us that haven't memorized the manual, and don't know that the defense is for defending as infantry in a light woods. It's some details like that I'm trying to make more accessible with the tooltips.

I'm also adding some of the social aspects. For isntance, I think I can do JPEGs and AVIs which makes posting AARs easier.

I'm also using a newer compiler which does a better job of writing faster code, but it doesn't support Windows 98. There's a debate on whether MS did that intentionally or accidentally.

I may be able to just buy a cheap tool to make it runnable on Windows 98, and it looks like that's what I'll try first. My second option is to put the old compiler on my machine and use it for the Windows 98 builds. It's a bit of a pain, but not too bad.

I'll create two versions. A ''TOAW3forNormalPeople.exe', and a 'TOAW3forCheapGrogs.exe'[:'(] I'should be able to put together a TOAW3 launcher that checks to see which version to run by doing a Windows version check and CPU check.

Ralph
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Well, if I'm the only one using Win98, I think I'll jump out the window. Wait, I'm too cheap for the hospital bills, instead I'll just go outside and lay on the ground and pretend that I had jumped out the window.

I can figure out something here. I'm actually not cheap, I have three computers, it just happens that the W98 machine is what I use for gaming. I should be able to switch something around so that I'm compatable.

Cheers!
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I should be able to switch something around so that I'm compatable.
If you CAN switch something around to be compatable then you'll make Ralphs' life a lot easier. LOL.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Jeff Norton

Post by Jeff Norton »

There's always one in the crowd....[:D]

What's next - TOAW3forthenonMSheathens.exe?[;)]
-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite
Heldenkaiser

Post by Heldenkaiser »

I have a Pentium IV, built 2002. I am thinking about getting a new machine because some newer games run veeeeery slow on this one. TOAW, OTOH, does fine (though loading a huge new scenario can take from a few seconds up to half a minute).

I find it excellent that TOAW does not expect one to have THE newest machine available. [:)]

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”