WF Bootcamp #1 Question

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

sparty_slith

WF Bootcamp #1 Question

Post by sparty_slith »

Is it possible to win this scenario?

I know that sounds totally pathetic...I've tried like 2 or 3 times and the best I can do is dislodge and take the northernmost village hex. The rifle platoon in the entrenched village hex seems extremely difficult to dislodge.

Let me run my quick strategy past you guys and you can tell me where I'm totally blowing it...

1st turn I double time into range of the village.
- Typically the AI shoots at me and has no effect.

2nd turn I move to take out the non-entrenched village hex. I usually get 1 shot in on the entrenched rifle platoon.
- AI 50/50 for causing a reduction by 1 and a retreat to one of my rifle platoons. Sometimes a disruption.

3rd turn I shoot into the non-entrenched rifle platoon from 1 or 2 hexes away. That typically causes a disruption.
- AI 50/50 causes a disruption with a reduction on one of my platoons.

4th turn I shoot into the non-entrenched rifle platoon and reduce it. I once caused it to retreat.
- AI typically does no damage to me this turn.

5th turn all my units are back to stength except the mortars which are low on ammo. I assault with a leader and 2 rifle platoons into the non-entrenched village and win it. My MG shoots into the entrenched. My mortars (which up to this point have been shooting into the entrenched position) continue to do so now at like 6 strength.
- AI typically can't do a thing.

6th turn I typically disrupt the entrenched rifle platoon. I once even reduced it. I then assault it with my rifle platoons and leader. I always get no effect on any of the combatants though.
- AI typically can't do a thing. I had the AI make my mg retreat once.

7th turn I once again disrupt, sometimes I reduce. I then assault with everything again and typically get no effect.
- AI typically cannot do anything.

So... In the end I end up with like 2 or 3 German Reductions & the 25 VPs while the Germans have inflicted 5 or 6 reductions with 25 VPs for that entrenched position.

I'm not sure how to dislodge the entrenched German position. They seem invincible and once I get my units in the village and my supporting units in trees the AI can't really touch them so it seems like a stalemate.

Is there some special command I'm supposed to be using? Is there a way to change the facing of a unit when it has ended it's movement? I see it in the EF demo that came with the 1.04 patch. I searched the in-game help and found nothing about anything other than armor facing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I play with Germans as AI w/ Fog of War & all special rules turned on.
cpdeyoung

RE: WF Bootcamp #1 Question

Post by cpdeyoung »

You are very lucky for Jason Petho has gone all Hollywood on this Scenario.

See mcs_bootcamp1_20070820.wmv in the Manuals folder of your JTCS folder.

Chuck

Oops : I think it might be EF, but the techniques are still valid, especially his use of assaults.
sparty_slith

Post by sparty_slith »

Yeah it seemed exactly like the EF bootcamp one that Jason did. (Loved the video btw!)

It seems like the only problem is the way assaults are handled in 1.04 and the time limit on that scenario are in direct opposition.

The only tactic I have to try (I think) is taking one of my squads around behind the entrenched rifle platoon and doing an assault from 2 directions. I believe, with a disrupted squad with 1 reduction sitting in that entrenchment I *should* be able to do it then...

It just seemed strange that the bootcamp scenario had such a tough nut to crack!
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

That is interesting. I had not considered that the assault rules might have had that effect. I apologise for not reading your first note as carefully as it deserved. I was just about to zip home.  As far as I know that Bootcamp has been with us awhile and it may be that the changes have made it a good bit tougher than intended.

It seems you have learned the lessons there well.  Some nuts are just too tough to crack, especially with less time.  As we used to say in "Squad Leader" : "Let me buy a Brumbar!"

Chuck
sparty_slith

Post by sparty_slith »

Yeah I bought the Matrix version because I loved the originals but have long since thrown out the discs. So I was incredibly happy to find all of the core games, expansions, and "best of" mods in 1 package.

I didn't remember the bootcamp scenarios being that hard they were really just a way to walk through all the information screens, commands, and terrain types.
cw58

Post by cw58 »

ORIGINAL: sparty

Is there some special command I'm supposed to be using? Is there a way to change the facing of a unit when it has ended it's movement? I see it in the EF demo that came with the 1.04 patch. I searched the in-game help and found nothing about anything other than armor facing.

You can change the facing of a unit by pressing "delete" (counter-clockwise) or "page down" (clockwise). However, that only has an effect for armored units so it won't do any good in the situation you describe.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”