Division of LCU

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Micke II

Division of LCU

Post by Micke II »

I post again my question here having receiving no answer so far from the war room section.

What are the benefits and inconvenients when a LCU (division or brigade)is divided in smaller components (regiments)
I have readen somewhere it's could be considered as gamey when the split is done during a combat due to the reduction effect on disruption and fatigue.
What is the general opinion on this subject ?
2ndACR

RE: Division of LCU

Post by 2ndACR »

I will split rear area divisions for garrison purposes, but when on the line, they stay full strength. There is a reason why I have a full division on the front line.

I have seen and heard about the split to protect troops. But you also have to remember, the is only so many "split" slots. So if your opponent splits alot of units, you will not be able to split yours. Hence, he gets the perks and you get the bad stuff.
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

ORIGINAL: Micke II

I post again my question here having receiving no answer so far from the war room section.

What are the benefits and inconvenients when a LCU (division or brigade)is divided in smaller components (regiments)
I have readen somewhere it's could be considered as gamey when the split is done during a combat due to the reduction effect on disruption and fatigue.
What is the general opinion on this subject ?

Nothing "gamey" about it. The original code paid no heed to the size of a unit when it determines replacements and reduction of disrupted units. So a battalion recovers just as quickly as a division. So a player that divides his units to recover faster isnt doing anything in the world wrong.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

There are serious problems with splitting units to consider..If the entire unit is set to re-organise with newer weapons, and one of the rgt's is not in sufficient supply to make the change, it will continue with the older weapons and not be able to recombine with the parent unit..
Too, the computer will read the number of men in each unit and if you allowed the rgt's to get over-strength while divided, they will not be able to recombine.
I have learned my lesson and stopped splitting them unless as the previous poster stated, I might want to use them as garrison troops.

An exception to this is the following: In Frisco, I might get an aviation support unit, with say 150 aviation support points..I will load that unit onto maybe 10 ships and send them to 5 differnt locations..Each locatio will get av support and the computer is smart enough to rename the units as 1/32nd, 2/32nd, etc...These units can later be recombined but the end result will still say something like 1/32nd(for the entire unit)..
IMHO this is not "gamey" whatsoever, and is the easiest way to get av support up and down the Australian coast since the civilian av support (historical), is not represented in game(unhistorical)..

Micke II

Post by Micke II »

Thank you for your answers.
Yes, I have already seen that the recombination of a unit it not always that simple.

I have an another question a little more specific on the same subject.

During a combat in a hex what is the best option for the defender
- keep his division in one entity or split the division in 3 components.

Same question for the attacker.
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

Nothing "gamey" about it. The original code paid no heed to the size of a unit when it determines replacements and reduction of disrupted units. So a battalion recovers just as quickly as a division. So a player that divides his units to recover faster isnt doing anything in the world wrong.

Its not the way the units recover, as the problem with the way they take damage. A division that is split into 3x Regiments, the 1st Regiment in line will take damage, and far less so to the other 2x regiments. Furthermore, the 1st regiment takes a disprorportionately FEWER casualties than when the unit is whole. Whereas, if the Division is whole, the larger (singular) unit, will take the whole damage (and greater casualties than if split). It -is- gamey.

A risk of dividing units is that, if one regiment is perma-destroyed, you can never recombine the unit. The sub-units will pull replacements, but you'll never be able to recombine/recreate the full division.

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

Casualties are casualties. Doesnt matter if they are all in 1 regiment or in the division as a whole, they arent going to take less losses because the division is broken down. Thats a myth. The only differences are these: recovery time (which will be faster because of the 3 units) and AV. The modified AV will actually be LOWER with the units split up because the "B" and "C" regiments wont have as good of a commander roll as the "A" regiment. So in combat, you are actually worse off by splitting them.

Dont believe me? See for yourself. Look at the AV of an intact division, then split it and total the 3 regiments.

Edit: keep in mind in the combat you wont see the leader rolls, but you can see the "modified AV" if you have the cartoons on and watch the numbers next to the units.
rominet

Post by rominet »

I completely agree with Yamato Hugger concerning casualties.
But what about diruption of a unit?
If you have only 1 one division in a hex suffering a bombardment (artillery i mean), the entire division will suffer a disruption.
But if you split the division in 3 parts, the first one will probably suffer the same disruption and what about the 2 others? I think they are protected by the first one so will undergo a lower disruption!

Hum, in fact, i am not sure the first reg will suffer the same disruption than the entire division. As it will suffer more casualties (in percentage) than the division, perhaps it will suffer a higher disruption. I am in the fog[&:]
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

Japan can split all those Mongolain Cav units in China to garrison multiple bases without losing the use of front line troops. This in the main reason I would split a LCU up.

Another reason would be if I was paying PPs to change the unit's HQ. Rather than wait until I had enough for the whole unit I may break it up and change the HQ of each sub unit as I get the points.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

Gamey example via PM.

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

I always disliked it as it increases the EFFECTIVE AV of a big stack as air attacks will disrupt a far smaller proportion of the total force if split.

Destroyed devices is the same (and it could be argued is a touch to high) but disruption is far far less and this increases and makes big stacks far far harder to beat

Andy
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

I always disliked it as it increases the EFFECTIVE AV of a big stack as air attacks will disrupt a far smaller proportion of the total force if split.

Destroyed devices is the same (and it could be argued is a touch to high) but disruption is far far less and this increases and makes big stacks far far harder to beat

Andy

This may be true Andy, but I have played a lot of games, and I dont see a lot of bombing of LCUs in games, so net effect: nothing. Players dont typically do a lot of bombing of ground units mainly because (I think) it isnt a secondary mission of naval attack. So unless you have an exceptional number of aircraft in the area to cover enemy naval units moving around, ground attack is about the lowest priority mission there is.

And its been my experience that if 1 regiment DOES get hit, once you re-combine the division that disruption is spread out over the division about the same as it would have taken if the unit had been whole to begin with, but I will admit I have never done extensive trials on it.
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

Splitting a unit because you are forecasting an impending attack would be a little gamey if playing in a PBEM, but there are alot more gamey tactics one could perform.
Unless you plan to split and disperse a division to separate hexes, it is fair to assume you are trying to be "gamey"[:)]
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

Not trying to be "gamey", trying to recover the disruption at the rate it SHOULD be if the original designers had taken unit size into consideration. Then again, maybe that breaking down a unit to recover WAS intended to begin with. No one could say really except Mike Woods.
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

I'll say that CAS (Ground Attack) can make a significant difference in a ground battle.  You definately need to use more than a squadron of Wildcats with the 2x 100# bombs.  Yes, I wish it was a secondary mission to NavAtk.  But bombing the snot out of a defending stubborn position, can make a significant difference in a battle (even in WitP).

-F-

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

I split my divisions in frontline bases to make my oppentent believe that there are 3 defending units rather then only one.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”