Where’s my Generals?

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderator: Gil R.

Xerkis

Where’s my Generals?

Post by Xerkis »

Why does it seem that when I call in for reinforcements they come in without most – or all – of the generals that army has?
2ndACR

RE: Where’s my Generals?

Post by 2ndACR »

I have noticed this too. Sort of sucks to have a division show up without that great division commander. Always bothers me that my help also arrives without any supply wagons. Just brutal when the Union attacks your army right after you lower the supply level and start a battle with everyone at 5 supply and only 2 supply wagons to try and supply an army of 100,000 troops.
Xerkis

Post by Xerkis »

I can sort of understand the supply wagon issue. They would have been slower and farther behind the troops and if it was a hasty call for reinforcements then the supply wagons would be even more behind the forced marched troops. But they should come in maybe on the 2nd or 3rd day after the call for the reinforcements.

But how can troops be commanded without their commander? I don’t yet see the logic in the generals not being with their men.

Someone please explain this.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Well, you have to remember that in FOF generals by their mere presence function as a bonus of sorts -- that is, every unit has a commander, but unless there is a general attached that commander is an abstraction. (This has some history behind it: brigades were often led by colonels, especially early in the war.) So these units have commanders, even if you don't see them. Also, I'd point out that what you're describe is not unlike history, since generals often missed parts or all of battles in which they were supposedly in command. I've recently been reading about Williamsburg, for example, where McClellan was uninvolved though just a dozen miles away. He also missed Seven Pines because of a bout with malaria that limited his involvement to ordering one corps, I believe it was, to move south of the river to join the fight. Sheridan missed the start of 3rd Winchester and had to gallop back. Grant didn't get to Fort Donelson until mid-afternoon on the day of the Confederates' breakout attempt. And Gettysburg, of course, began with Lee nowhere near the battlefield. So generals not infrequently did not show up with the army/corps/division they were commanding, for health or other reasons. So FOF is not being unrealistic when this sort of thing happens.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Xerkis

Post by Xerkis »

All very truw Gil (and I agree totaly) but it seems to be almost all the time - or at least more often than not.
Realistic game play is one of just coutless great points to this game - Maybe with this issue it seems a bit too real.
[:D]

Return to “Forge of Freedom - Support”