Internet Security Software

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

junk2drive

Internet Security Software

Post by junk2drive »

I have been using Zonealarm free for firewall and McAfee paid for antivirus for years and never had a problem. Except for one time when I tried the trial version of McAfee and it fixed my computer and then I felt it was worth buying.

McAfee is up for renewal and I am debating my choices.

My ISP, Frontier, offers CA internet package for free. I installed it. So far it has been less of a resource hog than McAfee.

AOL offers a free McAfee package.

AVG is highly touted but the free version doesn't seem to offer much.

Opinions?
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Arjuna

RE: Internet Security Software

Post by Arjuna »

We use ESET Smart Security. Very low overhead, very fast. Has caught everything except one recent incident where a transaction site was being hacked and it installed some malware on one of our machines. However, ESET came to our rescue within 24 hours. Excellent service.
http://www.eset.com/
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

Avast is a good one:

http://www.avast.com/

And it's free.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

I use Kaspersky (think that is the right spelling).
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

I've been using Avast, myself.  Hell, it's free.

If you feel like paying for a good one, I'd go with PrevX as I've used in customer's computers that were lousy with viruses and other junk.  It actually got rid of even the ones other AV software couldn't.  None of them are perfect, but that one is the best I've seen in the past couple years for outright nuking the bastids.

There's a cheaper version that you can install along with other AV software that just scans & removes and then the premium one which does it all. Using a free AV and then the scanner version isn't a bad option.

http://www.prevx.com/
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Avast is very good. It's non intrusive, so doesn't bug you and it's free. I've never had a problem with Avast and  I've never had a virus either.

Drop McAfee and go avast...you save money AND protect your PC. [:D]
Alba gu' brath
Arsan

Post by Arsan »

Another Avast happy customer.[&o]
4 years with it and no virus infection!
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look this weekend.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I've been using AVG - free for many years and I have had no problems.
hadberz

Post by hadberz »

I use Symantec Endpoint Protection v11. It's free from my works home-use license. If I had to pay for one I would probably stay with Symantec. I never had any virus since using it. 
AMD 5800X 8 core 3.8 GHz
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi (F63d Bios)
32 GB G-Skill DDR4 3200
MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6950 XT 16GB
Dell S2721DGF 2560x1440 165Hz
Dell S2719DGF 2560x1440 144Hz
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe drive
Win 11 Pro
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

I also use Avast v4.8.
Free and does the job.
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

AVG and Zonealarm are very good. I have used them for years, unfortunately I couldn't get Zonealarm to work on Vista so now use Comodo's firewall - another good free one.
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

I use AVAST as my antivirus and COMODO Firewall Pro and Defender as another layer of security
... additionally my entire home network is behind router with built-in firewall that drops all uninitiated incoming packets
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Arkady

I use AVAST as my antivirus and COMODO Firewall Pro and Defender as another layer of security
... additionally my entire home network is behind router with built-in firewall that drops all uninitiated incoming packets

Your post brings up a good discussion question. Do you need all of that with a router? I admit I don't know much about computer security. I was told, that multiplying security programs really slows down your computer. So I took this persons advice to use only the router with its firewall. I still use avast anti-virus. It was also suggested to not use explorer but firefox when doing this. Does this approach sound right?
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

yes, you're right, if you have firewall on your router then anitvirus should be enough, with carefull behavior during net surfing

I use COMODO package with firewall and defender - defender is something like Intrusion Prevention System, it check what is running and what resources (files, memory, registry) are accessed by runnig processes.

The reason for two firewalls is simple, router's firewall is good in filtering transport layer, but for comunication on application layers I need another level of defence. ROuter's firewall is not able detect that current connection on port 80 is good or not, it is just http session. Firewall within my computer then need check values and found if response packets in this http session are not malicious.
ORIGINAL: Zap

ORIGINAL: Arkady

Your post brings up a good discussion question. Do you need all of that with a router? I admit I don't know much about computer security. I was told, that multiplying security programs really slows down your computer. So I took this persons advice to use only the router with its firewall. I still use avast anti-virus. It was also suggested to not use explorer but firefox when doing this. Does this approach sound right?
Cmdrcain

Post by Cmdrcain »

One thing to consider in buying an anti-virius is does your ISP
Scan incomming email?

Mine does, it uses Nortons, so one buying Nortons would be just
pretty much duplicating... other then maybe your definations updated more...or less then ISP, the email gets scanned by same companys product...

In such a case, one might be better off buying an anti-virius from a different company... then email is being scanned double by different programs and more effective, what passes nortons may not pass the one on your PC, but if using same as ISP, neither may stop a virius
then, because if using like Nortons same as ISP... Both miss it.

So check if your ISP is providing antivirius scanning.

Also if does don't presume to not need own, since antivius
is real time its scanning when visit websites etc... ISP only scans email.

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Battlestar Pegasus
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Buy Norton.

It's a wonderful way to learn 6 dialects of Indian whenever you need their help desk.

Here's some of my favorite friends:

Response (Azhar Valangaar) - 11/16/2007 07:21 PM
Hello Adam,

Welcome to Symantec Online Technical Support.

This is Abraham from Symantec Online Technical Support.
Hi Abe!

And:

Response (Yogesh Bhardwaj) - 06/10/2008 05:18 AM
Hello Adam,

Thank you for contacting Symantec Customer Support; this is Yogs.

As requested, I have placed a refund request for you.
Good ol' Yogs!

Return to “General Discussion”