Worth $24.99?

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

elmo3

Worth $24.99?

Post by elmo3 »

With AGEOD's WWI turkey not ready for Thanksgiving I'm wondering if GoA is worth $24.99 on sale? Heard the interface was hard to navigate. True? Also, how is the AI? Can it attack as the Germans or do I need to play that side and let it defend to get a challenge? Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
anarchyintheuk

RE: Worth $24.99?

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Definitely worth it.

Until you figure out the system, the AI can challenge you. As irl, its harder for the CP than the TE, so its harder for the CP AI.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
ILCK

Post by ILCK »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

With AGEOD's WWI turkey not ready for Thanksgiving I'm wondering if GoA is worth $24.99 on sale? Heard the interface was hard to navigate. True? Also, how is the AI? Can it attack as the Germans or do I need to play that side and let it defend to get a challenge? Thanks.

Interface takes some time but no more than any other strategy game.

The AI is good and can challenge but is better as the stronger (Triple Entente) side than the Central Powers.

The game offers a unique challenge and is the most fun I've had with a wargame in awhile. Definately worth $25.
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Definitely worth it.

Until you figure out the system, the AI can challenge you. As irl, its harder for the CP than the TE, so its harder for the CP AI.

A no brainer. Great game. Take a little getting used to the interface, but I quickly understood it and find it very fun and challenging.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

OK, thanks again.

WitE alpha/beta tester
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Just another thumbs up for this game. Definitely worth it!
Kaliber

Post by Kaliber »

Yes, this game is definitely worth the money. Together with SC2 the best strategy game I've played. Could probably use a couple of final tweaks and changes, but Franks seems very commited so I wouldn't hesitate.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Decided to spring for it after the positive comments and seeing the designer here on a regular basis.  Just reading the rules and the AAR's so far but it looks like a keeper.

Back in the late 60's I worked at my father's business for a summer with a German fellow.  He was as nice a guy as you'd ever want to meet.  My father let on that he had been a machine gunner in the German army in WWI.  I never got up the courage to ask him about the war.  Wish now that I had although there is no way to know if he would have been willing to talk about it.

WitE alpha/beta tester
hjaco

Post by hjaco »

One of my forefathers was in the German army during war.

Living in the southern part of Denmark some 30 km from the German border that part of Denmark was in those days part of Germany due to the war with Germany in 1864 he was drafted but being an ethnic Dane deemed unreliable for field service at the front.

So the poor bugger had to spent the war in a safe rear area doing service with a kitchen staff enjoying good warm meals, Calvados and fraternising with the French Mademoiselles [:D]
Hit them where they aren't

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”