UI resolution problem

Post bug reports and ask for help with technical issues here.
TheTomDude

UI resolution problem

Post by TheTomDude »

Hello

I read that the UI is locked at 1024x768. The problem I have is that the UI looks grainy and blurry. The battle screen itself looks fine on 1280x1024 but I have the same problem with 1024x768 on the battle screen.

I got a new ATI Radeon 4850 HD graphics card and an older Acer AL1703 monitor. I had similar problems with the 1024x768 at a monitor refresh rate of 60 with other games but after setting the rr to 75 solved this. Not in this case unfortunately.

Any idea what I could do to have a better (normal) display of the UI screens?
Is this a cable or monitor problem?

Appreciate your help.

Tom
Andrew Williams

RE: UI resolution problem

Post by Andrew Williams »

Sounds like a this

tm.asp?m=1948097
ImageImage
TheTomDude

Post by TheTomDude »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

Sounds like a this

tm.asp?m=1948097

No Andrew. I do not own a widescreen monitor and as I wrote I have an ATI graphics card. So that walkthrough by Tejszd does not help me at all. I searched the forum and read Ramcats thread before posting but it's not displaying my problem. I do not have a streched display. The UI looks normal (with the black borders) but the text and textures are grainy/blurry.
Andrew Williams

just so we're sure

Does it look more grainyer/blurry than this?

Attachments
A0830.jpg
A0830.jpg (587.02 KiB) Viewed 87 times
ImageImage
TheTomDude

Post by TheTomDude »

just so we're sure

Does it look more grainyer/blurry than this?

Hehe, yes Sir. [:D]

I played CC4 and 5 and a lot of mods. So I am used to the old fashioned graphics and I love it. But no, it's definately a resolution problem. The picture you poted is sharp and clear compared to what I have on screen. One thing I found out is when I open the Options and switch to the desktop I can see the Options window on my desktop and it looks fine but as soon as I switch back to the game it looks grainy again. I would love to post a picture so you can see but when I do a printscreen and save it to the notepad it changes its look to the actual desktop resolution (1280x1024), so I cannot actually show you what I see in the game. It must be a display problem.

Andrew Williams

hmmm

There is nothing wrong with the way the game displays 1280 x 1024 as I have that on one of my PC's with a 19" 4:3 CRT.(this one)

I can only think that it is hidden somewhere amongst your settings
I had similar problems with the 1024x768 at a monitor refresh rate of 60 with other games but after setting the rr to 75 solved this. Not in this case unfortunately.

This is not a good sign as most everything you display on your monitor should be fine right out of the box.
ImageImage
TheTomDude

Post by TheTomDude »

Is there a chance that it is caused by the monitor?
As i read in Ramcats thread you were talking about resolutions of 1600x1200 or something. Now the maximum I can choose in the game options is 1280x1024. Is this due to the older monitor I use? Does the game automaticly gather system infirmation to display the possible resolutions?

edit: may it be the cable connection? I have a DVI-analog cable (DVI plugged to the gc and analog plugged to the monitor). Can this be a problem?

EDIT 2: Just wanted to let you know. Problem resolved. Bought me a new monitor. Game works fine. Thx

Tom
Andrew Williams

LOL

Thanks TheTomDude, gotta admire commitment.

cheers
ImageImage
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

LOL

cheers

I gotta concur. Throwing more money at the hardware, is generally a lot more satisfying, and usually produces the result you want.

[:)]
TheTomDude

Post by TheTomDude »

ORIGINAL: Stwa

LOL

cheers

I gotta concur. Throwing more money at the hardware, is generally a lot more satisfying, and usually produces the result you want.

[:)]

Well I surely wouldn't buy new hardware only for a game. I was thinking about a new monitor for more than 3 months. This problem I faced was a good reason to buy it now.
So thx for the motivation. [:D]
dodger bullet

Post by dodger bullet »

i have this problem too.

I have a laptop connected to my HDtv through an hdmi cord.  Though my laptop is fine, the result in my tv not so much. I have an NVIDIA card -- though i can change the option aforementioned in my laptop. But not through my HDTV.

The result is garbled and not sharp. The problem is probably of the 16 bit, is there a way to force it to 32 bit?

It's giving me a migraine.

Return to “Tech Support”