Engineers

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Hamster45

Engineers

Post by Hamster45 »

So I'm a little confused on the Engineer's abilities in the World at War scenario. Specifically the construction stuff, I'm not 100% sure on what each build option does for me and I can not find anything in the manual. For example building military bases, does it increase production of near by cities? Can you increase production of nearby cities? I built a factory and figured that part out, but I am interested to know if you can increase it's production value. Also, what is the point for building airfields and ports, other than being able to move their respectable units onto that hex?

Thanks for information, awesome game.
explorer2

RE: Engineers

Post by explorer2 »

There's nothing in WaW that increases the production capability of an urban hex (or factory for that matter).
The point of military bases is simply to allow a place for planes and ships, it has no effect on production. They can be very valuable during amphibious invasions and when the Germans invade the Soviet Union.
Hamster45

Post by Hamster45 »

then whats the point in taking territory other than the factory cities?  like Hawaii only has the military bases there.
explorer2

Post by explorer2 »

It all depends. You can't supply ships or base planes in non urban/airbase hexes. In WaW the ultimate objective is to capture particular cities: for the West it's Berlin, and depending on the version you play, maybe Munich. For Germany, it's London, Paris, Rome, Leningrad, Moscow, and Stalingrad. For Japan: Chungking, Clacutta, Syndney. you get the idea.
YOu have to figure out what's the best way of getting these cities and if you don't need Hawaii to get a victory, you wouldn't want to waste energy on it.

ON the other hand, if you believe that you need to block supply from USA Pacific Coast from getting to Australia in order for Japan to capture Syndney, you might want to try to take Pearl Harbor as a base to block supply, or if you're REALLY bold, take Pearl as a base to attack S.F, L.A., etc...

THe great thing about WaW is there's lots of different ways to try to reach your final objective of capturing the cities needed for a win.
Hamster45

Post by Hamster45 »

ah, i see what you are getting at.  good points.  thank you for the information.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”