Despite problems, is the game worth it?

Maximum-Football 2.0 is the latest and greatest release from the acclaimed sports management video game studio, Wintervalley Software. Bringing a whole host of new features like full Xbox 360 controller support, full DirectX 9.0 utilization, and scores of other upgrades and improvements, Maximum-Football 2.0 delivers on gameplay and fun like a bullet pass through double coverage. Like its predecessor, Maximum-Football 2.0 allows players to experience the thrill of managing a team in any league!

Moderator: David Winter

kg_1007

Despite problems, is the game worth it?

Post by kg_1007 »

I would like to say that I have been "lurking" in this forum for a few weeks, interested in this title, and just curious about the support, etc.
I am somewhat dismayed to see that , by reading , apparently there are many bugs, etc, and that they will not be fixed, as support is no longer forthcoming? Or perhaps I am misunderstanding something. My primary question,however, is this..
as a fan of tactical and strategic games, both wargaming, and sports, and as a person very much into the "inside" of the game of football,and wanting much realism, is this a good game? I prefer realism to graphics, so the graphics do not bother me, but some things I have seen about no option, no onside kicks, etc...are somewhat worrisome,but for the true hardnosed fans here...is it a good game?
Thank you
Mykal

RE: Despite problems, is the game worth it?

Post by Mykal »

well I'm kinda the same
I'll take realism over fancy graphics any day

just to straighten things up a little
the big bugs where fixed, those little ones left behind are quite minor by comparison
and for the most part you dont even notice them

What this title brings to the table more than makes up for it short comings

Is it worth the money............. IMO most definately YES
will it sometimes drive you mad........most definately YES
kg_1007

Post by kg_1007 »

Thank you Mykal. From what I have seen, you and some other guys have put a lot into this game as well, and you all are the reason I stayed looking, despite hearing of any bugs, as well as marauder here, a very good community you guys have put together, which means something in its own right as well.
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

If you can accept the following....it's worth it
-No further support, bugs are there to stay
-No onside kick
-No option
-No trades or GM functions/salary stuff
-Requires some tweaking 'out of the box' and user playbooks to be competetive
-Still a bit pricey

I have days where I want to uninstall it and never play again, but I do seem to always press on and enjoy what it does.
hack153

Post by hack153 »

despite the issues, i think it's worth the 50 bones i paid for it two years ago.  i play the hell (can i say that on this forum?) out of it, and work on new playbooks / old playbook issues almost daily.  out of the box, the game is okay, but when you add on the user made uniforms, stadiums, playbooks, etc it becomes one of the best games that you can buy. 

as for my wife, i'm sure she hates the game because i spend so much time on it.  [:-][:-][:-][:-][:-]

hope that helps.
UPFL is in the off season...
United Premier Football League
Mykal

Post by Mykal »

Hahahahaha

One or two guys have fallen at the "Wife" Hurdle Hack
so you aint alone their Buddy[8|]
Mykal

Post by Mykal »

ORIGINAL: kg_1007

Thank you Mykal. From what I have seen, you and some other guys have put a lot into this game as well, and you all are the reason I stayed looking, despite hearing of any bugs, as well as marauder here, a very good community you guys have put together, which means something in its own right as well.

Oh yes indeed, without the community this title wouldnt be worth half as much
the ability to change out almost what ever you like is one of this titles biggest attractions
everything has been left open for us to play with - none of that "lets find a good crack program" to rip it open and edit

and the community has been blessed with some great and very generous guys
I wont list 'em, you'll already know who they are, it'll be quite obvious if you've been reading a while.

Once you've added some (or alot[;)]) of the user created stuff this game is transformed completely
far better to play and far better to look graphically.
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

Yes, in spite of everything, I have probably only played Civilization more than MaxFB. And those of us familiar with 'one more turn' all-nighters, knows thats a lot of playtime. MaxFB is pricey, but is still cheaper than a night out for my family, so I got my moneys worth ages ago.
kg_1007

Post by kg_1007 »

Thank you guys all for the comments. Yes, I will "jump in"[:)]
Mykal

Post by Mykal »

Good for you Brother, welcome onboard[:D]
jdhalfrack

Post by jdhalfrack »

And those of us familiar with 'one more turn' all-nighters, knows thats a lot of playtime.

Oh god... I turned off the "timed voctory" option of this last scenario that I'm playing in Civilization. It's like the year 2415 and it's me (america) versus England and Germany. I'm too afraid to declare war on any of them because I'm sure the other one will declare on me and I'll get wasted.

Sigh... [;)]

JD
[center]Image

Latest Max FB Databse Editor: Max FB Database Editor (v 1.7.0)[/center]
BigSmooth

Post by BigSmooth »

Are there flying cars in 2415 in Civilization? I tell my kids that it's not the future until there are flying cars.[:)]
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

I have been there JD. I always seem to play the Romans, however. Not sure why. I'm an American of Scottish decent.
I cant stand a timed game. I generally go for space race or just world domination......total destruction of the enemy.
And to clarify, all the world is my enemy 
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

Well, in the old spinoff game Call To Power, there was a futuristic era. Don't remember flying cars, but there were lots of cool stuff.

And anyway BigSmooth, shouldn't we have them by now? I know you've probably seen the same stuff I have, old videos and cartoons from back in the day. I think we were supposed to have them by 2000.

I feel cheated.
jdhalfrack

Post by jdhalfrack »

And anyway BigSmooth, shouldn't we have them by now? I know you've probably seen the same stuff I have, old videos and cartoons from back in the day. I think we were supposed to have them by 2000.
One of the projects I assign my freshman science class is to find an article written in the past (more than 10 years ago) that makes some sort of prediction about the world we live in today. Then they have to figure out whether the prediction has come true or not and why.

I love when they find really old articles from like 1940 and it has stuff like "We'll have vacations to the moon!" or something like that. Flying cars is a classic that shows up now and then.

JD
[center]Image

Old Coach

Post by Old Coach »

Well, this thread really went off track, but other than MaxFB, I like to dabble with Steel Panthers 2, Age of Rifles and a space sim called Wings of Mercury. I love Age of Rifles. I wish someone would update it with 3D graphics.

Old Coach
Mykal

Post by Mykal »

ORIGINAL: garysorrell

Well, in the old spinoff game Call To Power, there was a futuristic era. Don't remember flying cars, but there were lots of cool stuff.

I feel cheated.

I always remember watching Star Trek as a kid with Captain Kirk and Spock
their communication device was super kewl, flip it open and speak, never before had we seen the like
yet here we are with phones that flip open, so maybe we aint that cheated Gary, not flying cars but a start.

Beam me up Scotty [:'(]
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

Yes, absolutely. And speaking of Trek...seen the trailer?
jdhalfrack

Post by jdhalfrack »

I'm torn between whether I am going to like the new movie.  I think if you look at it from the standpoint that you assume there is no real Star Trek "historic time line," then it looks like it's going to be a really cool movie.  But, I am not sure I am ready for those guys to just rewrite the history of Star Trek, which it sounds like they are going to...

JD
[center]Image

garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

Im looking at it as a reboot, and am open to the tweaking of canon. All of the other shows have hosed canon in so many ways, I like to think we may get a new version of Star Trek canon, and will stick to it. So much of existing canon is broken in the trailer, thinking about it too much will give me a headache.
And honestly, while I enjoyed all post-TOS shows, I always looked at them as 'someone elses Star Trek'. I'm a TOS zealot, but can accept a new look. And if this can bring in new fans, all the better.
But I wish Abrams would stop now. I already know way too much about the movie....but, look below...KLINGONS!!

Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 204 times

Return to “Maximum-Football 2.0”