Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Adam Parker

Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy?

Post by Adam Parker »

A few months back there was some excellent chatter here regarding this game. I'd had the base game for a couple of years and never opened it but last night did so and being a big C&C Ancients fan, now feel like giving it a go. (I'm still trying to learn 2by3's GG ACW by the way - hope I one day will but I digress [&:] ).

Anyway as prelude, talking about the fiasco of AGEOD and its release of the unfinished WW1 and of companies that bend over backwards to satisfy its customers, I was looking over the old M44 threads here and recalled Judge Dredd and Days of Wonder sending him more than enough M44 terrain tiles to make up for a few short packed. That's customer service! I'd add GMT and Lock and Load (Mark Walker) who offer this level of service too, no questions asked. Awesome stuff for the hobby.

So the point of all this is... I see that M44 has grown as a series since its release! [X(] I'd just like to get some opinions on what people feel are essential components to have for a "complete" and up to date system.

As well as the base game, I just today bought the East Front, Mediterranean Front and Terrain packs. I also got my hands on some of those Desert/Winter map boards! They're on the market again folks!!

I saw the Air pack and noticed that it has a re-written scenario book and reference cards but didn't buy? I also saw advertised (not on display in the shop) the Operation Overlord pack that supposedly has revised Command Cards?

Are these things essential given my goals? Basically, what consistutes an up to date rulebook now?

Thanks all,
Adam.
JudgeDredd

RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy?

Post by JudgeDredd »

Hi Adam.

Still playing stock Memoir here. As I was informed when I bought it, it has it's limitations and I've noticed them, but I wouldn't say they're weaknesses.

As for what addons to buy, Operation Overlord (I thought) was for more than two players...being just too big for only two players? Air Pack sounded good.

I did buy the Eastern Front expansion and wasn't happy when I found out it didn't come with the winter board (although I understand their reasons for not including it now)....was less impressed that it wasn't actually available...I haven't played the Eastern Front pack since gatting it because the board just doesn't look right with green and snow tiles! So good news that it's out...I might get it now. Thx for the heads up
Alba gu' brath
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Hi Adam.

Still playing stock Memoir here. As I was informed when I bought it, it has it's limitations and I've noticed them, but I wouldn't say they're weaknesses.

Hey Judge, I think I'm on a real winner with this one. The plastic figures feel a little odd at first given what I see as a scale of platoon/battalion but they soon grow on you. I think they also look fine unpainted.

The rules are the best thing. Read them all and play within 15 minutes! The Motherlode! [:D]

The new Mediterranean expansion also I've noticed with glee, takes the "Battleback" rule from Commands and Colors Ancients and gives that capability to the British as a special trait. I love the fact that the system has already gone East Front too and something rare - to the Pacific.

I'm hoping the game doesn't turn out to be too generic but I've just found out that the Air Pack actually re-writes all the scenarios up to Med tweaking the historicity of many.

That's really what I'm after - the feeling that I'm in a military academy playing out a grand tactical situation where the rules offer the correct feel and the focus is on the thinking. Almost like Tactics 2 with historical settings.

(Look forward to your impressions of WoME btw - I read you just ordered it! I haven't played it since many incarnations of the Alpha and some early Betas.)

Cheers,
Adam.
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

Adam,

I would be pleased to find out how Memoir'44 (plus expansions) plays out as a solitaire game.

Your impressions would be welcome.
Drinking a cool brew; thinking about playing my next wargame....
GJK

Post by GJK »

I must be missing something when I played M'44, I just was not impressed at all, even as a game; as it has zero historical background (IMHO). I own and played the base game with my kids and so maybe you have to have some of the expansions to add spice (which would be a shame).

On an related note, I did enjoy a game of Kriegbot with my kids over the weekend. [:D]
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Well, I didn't want a historical board game. An easy, kid friendly board game was what I was looking for and that's exactly what I got.
Alba gu' brath
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

I started my son on M44 at the age of 8-9 and he loved it, he is now 12 , playing competitive rounds of Combat Commander and hooked on the Close Combat series.

He’s getting Wacht am Rhein for Xmas ………… [:D]

I show him my ASL rule book [X(]...........one week went by and he handed it back saying -

“the last thing I need is more homework”

M44 is great stuff especially for the young ones [;)]
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

ORIGINAL: GJK

I must be missing something when I played M'44, I just was not impressed at all, even as a game; as it has zero historical background (IMHO). I own and played the base game with my kids and so maybe you have to have some of the expansions to add spice (which would be a shame).

Yes, this game is a funny one at first - ie: chock full of scenarios with lots of historical narrative and then throwing you onto a (really nice looking) mounted map board with plastic figures without giving the exact scale of each.

Commands and Colors Ancients imo gets away with this immediately because of its greater variety in unit types and the necessity to close to combat given the era. In M44 range plays a much greater role - inf and armor being able to fire 3 hexes, artillery 6. Of course the number of dice able to be thrown adjusts as the range changes but this still remains one of the greatest pieces of abstraction M44 asks the player to come to grips with. Range obviously simulates much more than the throwing of bullets, so I think satisfaction with the series depends on a player's interpretation of what M44's abstraction really is.
ORIGINAL: Warfare1

I would be pleased to find out how Memoir'44 (plus expansions) plays out as a solitaire game.

This to me is the sheer beauty of the C&C system as a whole, for given the use of cards to determine what orders may be given to units and the breaking of the game board into orderable sections, these games are perfect for solitaire without any adjustments needed. Just play each side to the best of your ability, testing strategies as desired and many surprises will happen! I still lose often against myself in C&C:A! (M44 is graced with at least 2 good player-made solitaire rules variants that I've come across too).

C&C:A as I posted so many times is just glorious solitaire. M44 has a different card set, no leaders on map, ranged weaponry, a new air-ground system etc. I really need a lot more play under my belt to test its equivalent genius but Ican see something good shining through. Russians are bound by the need to pre-select orders under its Commisar rule, Japanese can almost teleport through cave systems, the British when nearly beaten as a unit can Battle back, elite infantry possesses greater maneuverability, elite armor gains greater endurance as indicated by an extra tank figurine, artillery can represent long range barrages and new to the series, planes can conduct varying ground missions whilst at the same time remaining highly vulnerable. There is quite a lot there it seems.

M44 is also trying to enter the historical module market with new larger paper maps complete with preset terrain and accompanying scenarios. If only these maps were mounted!

So for me right now, I'm viewing the game as a grand tactical WW2 laboratory depicting historically based conundrums! I think in this way, there is some good replayability and entertainment. Let you know more later.
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

I bought M44 for my son last year for Christmas when he was 8 yrs old, and we actually played some games of it and found it enjoyable. My attempts to groom him into a wargaming buddy have yet to bear fruit, however. He tends to use the plastic game pieces in his own imaginary battles on the living room floor, "blowing them up" with a bouncy ball.  
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

Warfare, I find the game handles well solitaire mode, since a lot of the actions depend on the cards one possess. Some cards are awkward to play in solo mode, ( ambush and such) as it relies on surprise. ( which is hard to achieve solo, unless you're schizo)
I would recommend the Pacific expansion pacs...PLenty of Banzai opportunities
Cheers
MC

Adam,

Your impressions would be welcome.
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

This to me is the sheer beauty of the C&C system as a whole, for given the use of cards to determine what orders may be given to units and the breaking of the game board into orderable sections, these games are perfect for solitaire without any adjustments needed. Just play each side to the best of your ability, testing strategies as desired and many surprises will happen! I still lose often against myself in C&C:A! (M44 is graced with at least 2 good player-made solitaire rules variants that I've come across too).

C&C:A as I posted so many times is just glorious solitaire. M44 has a different card set, no leaders on map, ranged weaponry, a new air-ground system etc. I really need a lot more play under my belt to test its equivalent genius but Ican see something good shining through. Russians are bound by the need to pre-select orders under its Commisar rule, Japanese can almost teleport through cave systems, the British when nearly beaten as a unit can Battle back, elite infantry possesses greater maneuverability, elite armor gains greater endurance as indicated by an extra tank figurine, artillery can represent long range barrages and new to the series, planes can conduct varying ground missions whilst at the same time remaining highly vulnerable. There is quite a lot there it seems.

M44 is also trying to enter the historical module market with new larger paper maps complete with preset terrain and accompanying scenarios. If only these maps were mounted!

So for me right now, I'm viewing the game as a grand tactical WW2 laboratory depicting historically based conundrums! I think in this way, there is some good replayability and entertainment. Let you know more later.

Thanks for your reply, Adam.

Your praise of the CC:A system as a solitaire game certainly has me ready to buy it.

As for M44, this also sounds like it would be good to play solitaire as well. Do you know where those player-made rules for solitaire play for M44 can be found?

Your further impressions of solitaire play for M44 would also be welcome. Also, any changes in some of the rules/cards, etc that you think would aid solitaire play would be good to know as well.
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

ORIGINAL: 105mm Howitzer

Warfare, I find the game handles well solitaire mode, since a lot of the actions depend on the cards one possess. Some cards are awkward to play in solo mode, ( ambush and such) as it relies on surprise. ( which is hard to achieve solo, unless you're schizo)
Cheers
MC

105mm Howitzer:

Thanks for your replay.

This game system sounds interesting: easy to learn, yet filled with strategy/luck of the draw, along with a nod toward military history.

In your opinion, could some of the cards/rules be altered to help in solitaire play?

Also, does it help to have most of the expansions (such as East Front, Pacific, Air rules) to facilitate solitaire play?

Finally, has anyone played the Battlelore game solitaire? As I understand it, this system is built on the same rules as Ancients and M44.

I think this entire game system (Ancients, M44, Battlelore) would be ideal to play on the computer/console.
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Your praise of the CC:A system as a solitaire game certainly has me ready to buy it.

Just be ready for lots of stickering - its fun at first... [:D]. You may also want to look for a mounted map board, as GMT only provides a cardboard one in the base game. There are some options here:

1. Also buy the new C&C:A Expansion 2 or 3 as (owing to customer feedback) these now include beautifully mounted C&C:A boards.

2. Do what I did early on and buy Days of Wonder "Battlelore Epic Map" - same size, scale and direction and really beautiful too. I own 3 now! Richard Borg is the creator of both game systems.

As for M44 info there are 2 great forums:

Days of Wonder M44 Forum - http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/thread/?frm_id=35

Boardgame Geek M44 Forum - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/metasearch ... =memoir+44

EDIT: That's Expansions 2 or 3 for the C&C:A mounted boards. Expansions 4 and 5 are in the works. You also don't need all expansions to play the game. Pick and choose as you like. I really like Expansion 1 Greece.
GJK

Post by GJK »

FYI: gametableonline.com has "Battle Cry!" (ACW version of Memoir) - just played a quick game with a guy. The implementation is nicely done, this style of gameplay just isn't for me but it killed a quick 20 minutes.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: Sarge
I show him my ASL rule book [X(]...........one week went by and he handed it back saying -

“the last thing I need is more homework”

ROTFLMAO - You got yourself one smart kid there [:D]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

Warfare, I've never tried modifying any of the rules or cards to suit solitaire play. HAving said that, I would think the project is feasable. Over at the Games of Wonder M44 chat site, ( a lot more cut-throat and irrespectful than this one, by the way) some of the regulars were debating the merit of implementing additional rules. ( some bandied about: AT units and how it would function, extra on-board artillery rules, ( mainly the setting up and target registry, which led to special OP parties, ) night action rules, etc...
My advice is to consult the entire deck, and any cards in which you feel does not complement solo play, modify it ( or even remove it) and give it a go...
Lastly, some have pretended that Tide of Iron suits better the solo player. I haven't tried it yet, so unfortunatley, no opinion on that.
Whatever the casae, M44 is still a very fun game to play. Really, a must have.
Cheers
MC[:)]

Cheers
MC

105mm Howitzer:

Thanks for your replay.

This game system sounds interesting: easy to learn, yet filled with strategy/luck of the draw, along with a nod toward military history.

In your opinion, could some of the cards/rules be altered to help in solitaire play?

Also, does it help to have most of the expansions (such as East Front, Pacific, Air rules) to facilitate solitaire play?

Finally, has anyone played the Battlelore game solitaire? As I understand it, this system is built on the same rules as Ancients and M44.

I think this entire game system (Ancients, M44, Battlelore) would be ideal to play on the computer/console.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Just a quick thanks to Adam Parker for the heads up on the Winter/Desert board. Received it today and I can now play with my Eastern Front pack which I haven't done since I had it...almost 4 or 5 months now.

Nice one. [&o]
Alba gu' brath
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

I just picked up Memoir 44 yesterday. The local hobby store was having a 25% off sale, so I grabbed the last copy they had.

This game plays solitaire very well - the cards determine your actions.

I implemented a simple solitaire rule: rather than dealing out 5 cards per side as per the rules (when playing solitaire you know what side A is holding when you are playing side B because you have seen all the cards), I draw only ONE card per side, and place them FACE down. I only know what the card is when I actually play that side. This produces a fog of war AND makes me develop a strategy without knowing what the other side is going to do.

Last night I played two games of Sword Beach. In one game the Germans won, in the other the Allies won.

Great fun.

Apparently, DoW is coming out with a Campaign book that will link up scenarios into various campaigns.
105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

Hum, 1 card each....That does negate the Command ability Allies have in most scenarios ( thus theoretically favoring the Germans), but what the heck, if it works, run with it.
Cheers
ps: I'll be giving it a try myself. In the meantime, a local developper here in Montreal came out with a boardgame called Stratagame. It plays a lot like chess does, but in solitaire mode. You get a glossy map of Europe ( albeit without frontiers) and North Africa, and the objective is to capture resource spaces. ( spaces are squares) You use dice and cards to determine outcome of moves and battles. If you happen to find a copy, I'd suggest it anytime. ( rules are straightforward and simple, too)
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

Hum, 1 card each....That does negate the Command ability Allies have in most scenarios ( thus theoretically favoring the Germans), but what the heck, if it works, run with it.
Cheers
ps: I'll be giving it a try myself. In the meantime, a local developper here in Montreal came out with a boardgame called Stratagame. It plays a lot like chess does, but in solitaire mode. You get a glossy map of Europe ( albeit without frontiers) and North Africa, and the objective is to capture resource spaces. ( spaces are squares) You use dice and cards to determine outcome of moves and battles. If you happen to find a copy, I'd suggest it anytime. ( rules are straightforward and simple, too)
Stratagame

Another method playing solitaire is to deal TWO cards face down for each side and then play the best card, discarding the other one.

This opens up the options but still creates that vital FoW. You will never know what the other side will be holding.

And thanks for that game suggestion [:)]

Return to “General Discussion”