WiA findings

Birth of America 2: Wars in America is the much expanded reprise of veteran developer AGEOD’s acclaimed first release, which allows players to command either side of the conflicts before, during and after the American War for Independence between 1636 and 1815. Apart from the engaging turn-based strategy play that has been expanded and vastly improved over the original, Birth of America 2: Wars in America includes major new features like an improved and expanded map including the Mississippi River, new European off-map boxes (France, Great Britain, Spain, Holland) and more.
Venator

RE: WiA findings

Post by Venator »

Or to update the game just hit the handy Update button thoughtfully provided on the game menu screen. Quick and painless.

In general I'm impressed with BoA2. There are certainly bugs but I've played through the '75-'83 campaign and the war of 1812 and encountered nothing more annoying than the odd missing unit name.

It would be nice if the AI was a little more active in the naval sphere (ie did anything at all of use to its game) but that's not exactly a bug, more an AI failing. And even with that bit gives a surprisingly reasonable game. Obviously it's not amazing but it's no pushover either.
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

The main strength/weakness in the AGE gaming engine, is its heavy reliance upon event scripts and setup files. While this affords a scenario designer the necessary tools to build complex scenarios, it also causes a hefty testing event anytime scenarios are modified. Normally scenarios are in development right to the release date for a game.

Communication between testers and scenario developers becomes acute in this development environment. Teams of volunteer "betas" may not do thorough testing, or may not communicate results, and testing must be deep in most cases.

Unexpected results can easily occur, since the sceanrio designers may misunderstand potions of the scripting language themselves, and new command sets are being added throughout the entire development process.

The scripting language has limited modularity (even though I suppose, its event driven code [:)]), but does provide for "include" files for reusability. Nevertheless, the sheer size and volume of scenarios added to the self induced complexity of the project teams, was a recipe for poorer than expected results.

In addition the programmers add new features to the engine during each project, which require testing as well. Sometime this work does not precede the development of the scenairos. The programmers have many projects and may be underwater most of the time.

Nevertheless, Ageod game designs are very good, and if developed properly should yield excellent games.
GShock

Post by GShock »

I am finally playing it a little more.

I had 5 ctd in the last 2 days and a few problems with things i don't understand. Units disappearing without apparent reason or explanation either in the rules or on the interface, units building forts that do not get built next turn, replacements not arriving or...for example, not being optionable as in the case of warships (you send them to the port and without replacements they can't be repaired which since there's a strong attrition in winter means a constant bleeding you can't stop), messages talking about generals or admirals coming in a place but then spawning in another place, etc.

Most of these problems depend on the things you just mentioned, a few others are buried in the "root" of the engine (i'm sure i know now why these 5 CTD happened and they have the same reason and i think it's very easy to fix, well that it's already been fixed actually).

Luckily the 1.02c patch changed the game for the better but the point of my critic was that with a better organization, with the same monthly expenses, much less trouble could have been spared at the 1.0 release and much more innovations and fixes could have been added in the future patches. Which of course translates into more sales.

It's important to invest more in the pre-release and QA phases so you can save damage coming at the release date...as happened with WW1 and as totally expected on my part.
I think more than about costs it's about personnel, general company guidelines building a better organization. Come on some of these problems are so easy to find and so easy to fix that they really could have been spared.
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Well, glad you are giving it another shot. But try to relax a bit, its just a computer game you know. In software, its usually best to buy after a good number of revisions. I have started buying games after one year or more. Its paid off for sure. Most wargames that are any good, will last a long time, as Matrix has demonstrated.

Anyway kick back some, if you get bored with the games then maybe we could break out some TD-Sequential charts and try to predict the bottom of this crazy stock market... probably less frustrating than invading colonial America.

[:)]
5_Star

Post by 5_Star »

I think they must have listened and tweaked the Pequot scenario. I have gotten a victory playing as the Pequot's and the Colonials. It seems some what balanced, but the Pequot's have it a little tougher. (like it probably really was...)

I haven't had one CTD issue since I installed the game, only problem I have had is it locking up upon loading the game which was caused by a background program.
GShock

Post by GShock »

Well 5_Star, I'm not an ordinary player. [;)]

When i see something wrong i stress things to recreate it and report findings. At present time my campaign with the British vs French is halted with the 6th CTD and i was finally able to identify and report the reason why that happens.

They do listen, and they do reply, besides they also fixed the Neuvelle Orleans scenario.
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
dunnsa

Post by dunnsa »

ORIGINAL: 5_Star

I think they must have listened and tweaked the Pequot scenario. I have gotten a victory playing as the Pequot's and the Colonials. It seems some what balanced, but the Pequot's have it a little tougher. (like it probably really was...)

I haven't had one CTD issue since I installed the game, only problem I have had is it locking up upon loading the game which was caused by a background program.

Thanks! It's good to know the efforts are appreciated [:)]

It is difficult to support the game in multiple forums.. If you have specific issues, it helps immensly to report them at the AGEOD forum.
We'll keep improving the game [:D]
AGEOD Volunteer
Visit the AGE Wiki at http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Main_Page
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

I can attest to the fact that Lodi has done a great job, addressing issues in this very complex game.

People must appreciate that this type of game is data and graphics intensive. You get a beautiful game, with handdrawn maps, and unit graphics, and plenty of data underneath it all.

As time goes on, issues affecting game play will fall away, and in a decade this game will still be here, ready for new purchasers.
GShock

Post by GShock »

Stwa...look at the date of this report, imagine 50 more done in private starting from 1 year and a half ago.
I think it's pretty obvious that much trouble could have been spared if the big heads had just listened to more important things than just bugs or glitches.
This is not about lodilefty or about Hok, as clearly stated, it's about management choices...look what's happened with WW1. [:(]

This report is a demonstration of very well known issues that AGEod has brought along through 3 releases and hundreds of patches. They are always running to catch up with something that very easily could have been done before the releases with no further expenses company-wise.

I just love WiA as i love AACW but i'd just love it even more if AGEod reaped more benefits after such hard work. They deserve it.

I don't care at all I can't complete my campaign due to CTD issues, what i care for is the company sales that strictly depend on the trust of the core base customers of previous titles. Bugs and glitches are a result of overconfidence on giving per assumed that everything will be wad and poor QA assessment. Don't look at the bugs, look at what causes them.
Stwa

Post by Stwa »

Well, I have gone way over my post quota for this thread.

But, Ageod is rushin stuff into production, because they needed the money yesterday. Its really that simple. Its their call, and thats what they decided to do, IMHO.

Regarding your views about Ageod management etc. I think you have been allowed to voice your concern. Now you are just repeating yourself. Like I said before, its just a computer game. Its a complete bewilderment to me that some volunteers can basically work 24x7 for free when it comes to a game.

Return to “Birth of America 2: Wars in America”