Vista Dead?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JamesM

Vista Dead?

Post by JamesM »

It seems that Microsoft is fast tracking the next version of windows. They are already showing beats to software developers.

I am glad that i never brought this OS, I will just wait for the next version of windows.
Terminus

RE: Vista Dead?

Post by Terminus »

Same here. Vista will shortly be consigned to the scrapheap of history, where it so richly belongs.

It can meet up with Windows ME and have a "so you failed too?" party...[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

My new system with Vista has been fine. Like many people I have run into some problems but nothing I haven't been able to figure out.

As for the next version of Windows?

I could be dead by 2010/2011!

Anyway, anyone expecting it in 2009 better be ready to be disappointed.

Long live DOS!!!
Flipper
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Vista is a piece of crap. Without actually doing anything on my system, it grabs no less than 900MB (or there abouts) of my 2GB.

Unfortunately some people (myself included) had no option when I bought my laptop and it's infected with it. Thx Microsoft for making my laptop as useful as a Betamax video player!

Once bitten....
Alba gu' brath
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

Vista SP1 has been working just fine for me.  Other than downloading a small dll file for old games I've installed, turning superfetch and UAC off, I've not been bothered much.

Actually, the Nvidia drivers for Vista are the only ones that let me keep the original game's aspect ratio instead of stretching them on my widescreen.  The XP drivers do not.  Not to mention I actually resized the Vista partition and made a new one for that XP inside Vista which was a damn nice addition.  It's definitely more stable, too.

I have XP installed on a separate partition just in case, but I've not used it in the past year.  I'll probably wipe that partition and put Ubuntu on it before long.

If you expect some new, rushed, MS operating system to be the cat's meow then prepare to be disappointed.  If the new one shows up in less than 3 years, then plan on another ME fiasco with it as that one was quite rushed too.
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

Vista has been out long enough now to have most if not all the bugs ironed out.
If you can't get it working properly either your PC is not stable or you are doing something wrong.
You also should not run it without at least 4 GB of RAM unless you are using basic or something.
Stop with the "it sux" and "it's crap" already.[:-]
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
uncc

Post by uncc »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Vista is a piece of crap. Without actually doing anything on my system, it grabs no less than 900MB (or there abouts) of my 2GB.

Unfortunately some people (myself included) had no option when I bought my laptop and it's infected with it. Thx Microsoft for making my laptop as useful as a Betamax video player!

Once bitten....

what makes you think "Windows 7" will grab less memory? [:)] Seems each new OS from MS requires even more memory than its predecessor to function. Better go buy some more memory!

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

In doing some checking before purchased my system it looked like getting 4 GIGs was better than 2. At least for my future needs. I agree Windows 7 (or what ever the final name is) will likely use more of it.

My first business PC had 1 meg. And I was lucky as some co-workers had to make do with 512K...LOL. Ah life in the 80's...
Flipper
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Hate to tell you guys, but Windows 7 is based on Vista. To be honest, Vista sp1 has given me no headaches, but it does require 4GB of RAM to work at the same performance level that XP does with 2GB. 
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

Hate to tell you guys, but Windows 7 is based on Vista. To be honest, Vista sp1 has given me no headaches, but it does require 4GB of RAM to work at the same performance level that XP does with 2GB. 
I used to be a Vista basher but that was early and based on ignorance mostly.
Vista is a sound OS, just do your homework and keep an open mind.
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
Challerain

Post by Challerain »

Have to agree, no issues with Vista here at all.

And if I remember correctly, didn't it take until XP SP2 until XP became a stable OS?
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

I just got Vista on my newest machine. My opinion of it has softened a bit too now that i've turned off all the hand-holding features that cause a ceaseless number of annoying popup messages to appear whenever you do something. Now it feels alot like XP.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

I have had no issues with Vista.  I use the 64 bit, with 8 GB of ram.  I actually have grown to like the way it works and looks.

Now MS Word 2007, that's a whole different issue..., and to be truthful, I'm just lazy when it comes to learning new programs.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Sadly, the maximum amount of RAM my motherboard will support is 2GB. But it doesn't seem to cause any problems running games under Vista.

All in all, I am much more comfortable running Vista (I have Home Premium) than I was when I purchased this PC in August of 2007. To tell you the truth, I think I have less trouble running games under Vista than I did under XP.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

To tell you the truth, I think I have less trouble running games under Vista than I did under XP.

Yep, when some shiny new game with a crash bug decides to CTD or black screen in Vista, it recovers quite well and quickly too, as opposed to XP. Though it's not invincible, I've noticed an improvement there.
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

Sadly, the maximum amount of RAM my motherboard will support is 2GB. But it doesn't seem to cause any problems running games under Vista.

All in all, I am much more comfortable running Vista (I have Home Premium) than I was when I purchased this PC in August of 2007. To tell you the truth, I think I have less trouble running games under Vista than I did under XP.
One thing you can do to try and help your PC run a little better is disable that fancy desktop.
It will eat about 800-900MB of your RAM.
If as you say you are enjoying Vista then by all means, if it isn't broke disregard my tip.
If it isnt broke don't fix it.

[center]Image[/center]
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: Gem35

One thing you can do to try and help your PC run a little better is disable that fancy desktop.

I *think* I already did. I know I set the view to "Classic" in the Control Panel. It's been over a year, and I don't recall just what I have done since I purchased this computer.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

Vista is the world's first environmentally unsound OS. It's a power hog, requiring so much system memory and a GPU running the whole time that you're in Windows. It's also a total dog without at least a dual-core CPU. Phooey!

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

Yup the Vista memory requirements are the key issue for corporations. My company has about 4500 laptop/desktops, but average memory is between 256M and 512M so contemplating a "Vista Rollout" is pretty much impossible. It would cost millions for memory upgrades and/or new machines, and in this economy we can't even consider it. So we are definitely in the "waiting for the next version" group.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Vista has been out long enough now to have most if not all the bugs ironed out.
If you can't get it working properly either your PC is not stable or you are doing something wrong.
You also should not run it without at least 4 GB of RAM unless you are using basic or something.
Stop with the "it sux" and "it's crap" already.[:-]

4 GIG? That is insane.
Favoritism is alive and well here.

Return to “General Discussion”