Quick question:

Based on Atomic Games’ award-winning Close Combat series, Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein brings together the classic top-down tactical gameplay from the original series and plenty of new features, expansions, and improvements! The Wacht am Rhein remake comes with a brand new Grand Campaign including a new strategic map with 64 gorgeous hand-drawn tactical maps, over 70 scenarios, tons of new interface and unit graphics, countless engine improvements, and much more!
Tactics

RE: Quick question:

Post by Tactics »

The thing is Joe98 - Your solution might be the best solution for eveyone. If the settings are adjusted for fewer tanks you would put AI and Human settings on 'Veteran', yes?

..and that is fine - BUT

The AI can be less than challenging; and, one of the few ways get a challenge and still do the grand camp is to set the Human on Veteran and the AI on Rookie, thus giving the human fewer points/resources and the AI more points/resources. However the result is very often that the AI then has access to tons of tanks, ala Tank Orgy.

Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

CC4 and CC5 have been Modded to reflect what you are talking about.

Generically these are known as "Vetmods".

I've heard whispers that something may be in the wind for WaR.
ImageImage
Neil N

Post by Neil N »

Good thing that we only included about 1/3 - 1/2 the amount of tanks per BG size than reality
If it does not have a gun, it cannot be fun.
Tactics

Post by Tactics »

Another reason I dislike the bulge - And still sad that the guys at panther games decided to do that one.
Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Good thing that we only included about 1/3 - 1/2 the amount of tanks per BG size than reality

Out of curiosity, what ratio of infantry was scaled down too? It just seems that in any particular area with armored units, the infantry/armor ration seems really high in favor of the armor, even for a Bulge game. I haven't made any exhaustive study of the real OOBs, but I would rather doubt that going into any particular town or crossroads it would be 6-7 tanks and 3 squads of infantry + support weapons. Ditto for defense of said areas. And thats exactly what I see time and time again (which produces the 'tank orgy' feel).

So, if the number of tanks per BG is 1/3 -1/2 reality, is the infantry ratio in said BGs closers to 1/10? Also note that the actual FORCE POOL for the BGs is less relevant than what you see in-game. It doesnt matter if there 30 Rifle Teams and 10 tanks in the force pool if only 15 units can be used at once and armor occupies 6-7 slots. The ratio IN BATTLE is more important IMO, regardless of the pools.
Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

CC4 and CC5 have been Modded to reflect what you are talking about.

Generically these are known as "Vetmods".

I've heard whispers that something may be in the wind for WaR.

Sweet, thanks. I remember there were mods for CC3 (and the remake, I believe) that pretty much removed almost everything bigger than an armored car. Thats not really what I want. I dont mind the larger AFVs, but I dont really care for large numbers of AFVs in any particular engagement. IMO, the game just plays so much better when its mostly an infantry fight.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out.
[align=right]
[/align]
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

So, if the number of tanks per BG is 1/3 -1/2 reality, is the infantry ratio in said BGs closers to 1/10? Also note that the actual FORCE POOL for the BGs is less relevant than what you see in-game. It doesnt matter if there 30 Rifle Teams and 10 tanks in the force pool if only 15 units can be used at once and armor occupies 6-7 slots. The ratio IN BATTLE is more important IMO, regardless of the pools.

I'm not sure what ratio the infantry are at, would be interesting to know.

As for the forcepool it may not matter in the 1st few days of the campaign but it will make a huge difference later. I'm 16 days in as the Germans and have to run my few BG's with tanks around trying to defeat the US armour BG's that arrived as reinforcements.
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

The BG's are quite varied

There are Armor heavy BG's and the are BG's very light on for anrmor, and you'll be wishing fore more.

Attachments
teams.jpg
teams.jpg (50.78 KiB) Viewed 47 times
ImageImage

Return to “Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein”