RTS Junkies!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Arctic Blast

RE: RTS Junkies!

Post by Arctic Blast »

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

What? And they didn't have problems with police yet?

They're about to get shut down as quick and hard as Starforce was. 4 lawsuits against EA based on their use of SecuROM, and there is serious talk there may be another soon against Ubisoft (who were the company hammered in the Starforce lawsuit...you'd think people might learn something).
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Makes me want to buy it! That Damned Russian babe doing the dance with her fingers whilst dancing does it for me...

It's a damn entertaining ad! Personally, I'm moe partial to the one with the sniper rifle...apparently I like women who can crush me like a bug. [:D]
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
ANZAC_Tack

Post by ANZAC_Tack »

just upgraded my system for max viewing pleasure for CoD4, new amd 5400 2.8g dual, 4 gig ram on XP 32bit, and a G9900 512 meg graphics card,finally my 19"4:3 LCD 1248*1024 monitor has native resolution, the difference from the old gs8400 256 is amazing....antiscope also on max, and 4*.....amazing...im blown away with quality....WaW soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(cod5)
ANZAC_Tack
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

What? And they didn't have problems with police yet?

They're about to get shut down as quick and hard as Starforce was. 4 lawsuits against EA based on their use of SecuROM, and there is serious talk there may be another soon against Ubisoft (who were the company hammered in the Starforce lawsuit...you'd think people might learn something).
But they did change software, right? [8|]

Is there playable demo available? I haven't found one yet...
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Does C&C3 have any DRM software, and what is it? I'm in need of more RTS, preferrably without DRM software.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Does C&C3 have any DRM software, and what is it? I'm in need of more RTS, preferrably without DRM software.

It's two months old now, but this article at Shacknews tells about C&C: Red Alert 3's DRM. The article contains a link to an informative thread on the Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 forum.

As for me, I refuse to buy any EA game until their draconic DRMs and other copy protection methods have been removed. And until they have a major change in attitude.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

It's an EA game...of course it has DRM (SecuROM 7).
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Do you know that EA games can be downloaded? Those cost about same as in stores... but what about DRM?

MekWars
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

Do you know that EA games can be downloaded? Those cost about same as in stores... but what about DRM?

Same as in stores...SecuROM. EA's pretty much in love with it.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Meh... Ok, I'll check again if I'm stubborn enough to get through Dark Crusade, and Soulstorm after it. Based on what you say here, I'll avoid EA products... for now. Maybe I'll buy TOAOW3... still not sure

MekWars
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

Another SecuROM issue some people are having...so many games have come out with different versions of it that the different versions are starting to clash for some people. So, your shiny new copy of Far Cry 2 may work, but now World in Conflict won't.

Yes and I have complained, before, about a SecuROM7 update that came in a game's patch made windows crash every time I right-clicked. Deplorable. After searching through the internet and finding others having the exact same issue, often with a couple different games, I finally found someone who posted SecuROM's patch to the patch that fixed the issue. Until they f*ck another one up, anyway.

No more. I started downloading No-DVD cracks for the ones I currently own and I'll not buy any more bad DRM games. That was the 2nd time I've been burned by crappy DRM. Actually, it's the third since I couldn't get the old MechCommander2 to recognize my disk years ago (on 2 different PCs). I guess the smaller companies are going to be making more of my money in the future.
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Another SecuROM issue some people are having...so many games have come out with different versions of it that the different versions are starting to clash for some people. So, your shiny new copy of Far Cry 2 may work, but now World in Conflict won't.

Yes and I have complained, before, about a SecuROM7 update that came in a game's patch made windows crash every time I right-clicked. Deplorable. After searching through the internet and finding others having the exact same issue, often with a couple different games, I finally found someone who posted SecuROM's patch to the patch that fixed the issue. Until they f*ck another one up, anyway.

No more. I started downloading No-DVD cracks for the ones I currently own and I'll not buy any more bad DRM games. That was the 2nd time I've been burned by crappy DRM. Actually, it's the third since I couldn't get the old MechCommander2 to recognize my disk years ago (on 2 different PCs). I guess the smaller companies are going to be making more of my money in the future.

Well, the smaller companies are going to be making money for other reasons. When an economy starts to sour, people don't have as much money they can describe as disposable, so that means less money for entertainment. Big monoliths like EA that have spent the past 2 years buying on company after another now have MASSIVE overhead (they let 600 people go just a few weeks ago), and it's not like any financial institution is in position to bail them out. EA lost over $400 million in the first quarter of 2008...and that was when the economy still looked solid. Their stock is in an absolute freefall.

Smaller companies that don't have massive bills to pay in comparison are in a nice position to do fairly well.

I'm totally with you on the no-SecuROM stance, too. I've completely cleaned it off my system (what a colossal pain THAT was), I've downloaded cracked exe's to run the games I already own that use it, and I'm not buying any more.

Return to “General Discussion”