Buying & Support headaches today!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

leastonh1

Buying & Support headaches today!

Post by leastonh1 »

Hi,

I must be having an off day. I've just spent a fair bit of time trying to buy Close Combat WAM.

I first opted for digital download plus physical shipment for the game, without the extended download. However, when I realised at the point of finalising the order that VAT would be added, I chose to edit my order. Sorry, that's far too expensive for me and the total price including VAT should be shown up front! Unfortunately, no matter what I tried, editing the order was a total failure. I could not remove the option for physical shipment no matter how many times I clicked the dustbin icon. To my dismay, the extended download option had been added again and also refused to be binned! In the end, I just recreated a new order from scratch. It is really frustrating to have to do this.

I then decided to log a support call about the above issue as it's not the first time I've encountered it. IIRC, there have been posts from other people historically about the exact same thing. So, I went on the support pages and opted to raise a call using the web based form. Guess what? The edit box for the email address cuts off the last character. I assume there's a limit for characters set somewhere for the form and my email addy is 1 character too long. Arrrrggggghhh!!!!!!

I am downloading the game now, but it's been a very frustrating hour and I almost gave up and spent my money elsewhere.

I'm really not very impressed.

Cheers,
Jim
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
leastonh1

RE: Buying & Support headaches today!

Post by leastonh1 »

Hmmm, I wonder...could my browser be causing the issues with the order editing? I'm using Firefox 3.0.3.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: Jim_H
Sorry, that's far too expensive for me and the total price including VAT should be shown up front!

VAT depends on your country of course - other webshops like Amazon let you login first, so the system "knows" your VAT percentage and automatically adds it to the price. I kinda like that better as it gives you an immediate view of what you're spending.

Alas, Digital River has sort of cornered the market and there are many, many things a lot of people, including the Matrix guys, would like to see changed in their setup, but are unable to push through right now.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

Hi Eddy,

I know the way the setup works is down to Digital River and my frustration/rant wasn't aimed at the guys at Matrix [:)]

I agree, the VAT (ie total price you pay) should be displayed up front. That made the difference between a total cost of less than £30 compared to the original total of over £37. That's quite a lot for a PC game and far more than I was prepared to pay. I didn't get the total until the end of the order. Couple that with the failure in the order editing process and I nearly gave up completely.

The ordering system simply didn't work well for me and I wanted to let support know how I feel about it. Unfortunately, that wasn't to be, hence my forum post instead of my intended email.

Regards,
Jim
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

The ordering system simply didn't work well for me and I wanted to let support know how I feel about it. Unfortunately, that wasn't to be, hence my forum post instead of my intended email.

Actually, I think it's better that you posted it in here, so that Matrix can see - once again - an example of DR almost costing them a customer. And for everyone like you who posts about his experience in here, there's a dozen who just give up and don't bother to let themselves be heard.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
I first opted for digital download plus physical shipment for the game, without the extended download. However, when I realised at the point of finalising the order that VAT would be added, I chose to edit my order. Sorry, that's far too expensive for me and the total price including VAT should be shown up front! Unfortunately, no matter what I tried, editing the order was a total failure. I could not remove the option for physical shipment no matter how many times I clicked the dustbin icon. To my dismay, the extended download option had been added again and also refused to be binned! In the end, I just recreated a new order from scratch. It is really frustrating to have to do this.

Can you send me the order number for this?

Regarding VAT, there's nothing we can do. VAT varies by country, thanks to the politicians, so we _can't_ know what your VAT is until we know where you live. We do show VAT as soon as it's been calculated and before the order is complete so that you have a chance as a customer to change your mind if you want.

The fact that you could not remove the physical option sounds like a bug between the store and your browser though. It does work for me, but I'd like to investigate that further.
I then decided to log a support call about the above issue as it's not the first time I've encountered it. IIRC, there have been posts from other people historically about the exact same thing. So, I went on the support pages and opted to raise a call using the web based form. Guess what? The edit box for the email address cuts off the last character. I assume there's a limit for characters set somewhere for the form and my email addy is 1 character too long. Arrrrggggghhh!!!!!!

Who did you log this support call with? Was this in our Help Desk or with the DR Store? I'd like to make sure that gets fixed.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: sterckxe
VAT depends on your country of course - other webshops like Amazon let you login first, so the system "knows" your VAT percentage and automatically adds it to the price. I kinda like that better as it gives you an immediate view of what you're spending.

That's exactly it, without a unique login for each customer and stored customer address data, we can't know what VAT to apply beforehand.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

They (the politicians) should finally stop stealing our money with those VAT taxes. The VAT tax makes to me a difference between expensive and unaffordable[:@].
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate that you're at the mercy of Digital River and their systems. The annoying thing is, on the first page of the store I had to choose my country (UK), so I thought the system surely would know the correct VAT rate to apply.

The support call didn't go through because I couldn't enter my email address in the form on the page. It's 1 digit too long. It would only let me input *********@yahoo.co.u instead of .uk. That's why I ended up posting here instead.

I'm sorry, I didn't make note of the order I aborted. There's definitely been an issue with editing orders before and I'm sure it was Firefox v1.5 or v2. I distinctly remember posting in the forum about it quite a long time ago and having replies from other people with the same experience. I can't search through my posts at the moment as I'm at work.

Regards,
Jim
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

Hi Erik,

Ok, try this. Firefox 3.0.3. Go to the store, select UK. Choose CNaW and select digital download plus physical shipment. On the shopping cart page, try clicking on the dustbin icon to remove physical shipment. It refreshes the page, but leaves the item.

Here's another weird one...same order:
With the three items in the basket (digital game, physical shipment, extended d/l), try removing extended download first from the list. It disappears. The page refreshes and you're left with the two copies of the game (digital & physical). Now try removing the physical game. Not only does it NOT remove it, but when the page refreshes, the extended download is back in the list.

Something is broken either with Digital River's system or Firefox or both.

I hope that helps a bit? Oh, the test order I've just created to try the above examples is: DR1646315207

Regards,
Jim
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate that you're at the mercy of Digital River and their systems. The annoying thing is, on the first page of the store I had to choose my country (UK), so I thought the system surely would know the correct VAT rate to apply.

That's just for people to pick their preferred currency and which warehouse to ship from, it doesn't actually tell us the exact country. The VAT laws are complex enough that we really need the address to confirm that.
The support call didn't go through because I couldn't enter my email address in the form on the page. It's 1 digit too long. It would only let me input *********@yahoo.co.u instead of .uk. That's why I ended up posting here instead.

Yes, but where did you try to type that in? Was that in the store or on our Help Desk?

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Ok, try this. Firefox 3.0.3. Go to the store, select UK. Choose CNaW and select digital download plus physical shipment. On the shopping cart page, try clicking on the dustbin icon to remove physical shipment. It refreshes the page, but leaves the item.

Thanks, I will try. Firefox 3.0.3 is still a Beta I believe, so this may be a browser bug, but I'll make sure it gets checked out.
Here's another weird one...same order:
With the three items in the basket (digital game, physical shipment, extended d/l), try removing extended download first from the list. It disappears. The page refreshes and you're left with the two copies of the game (digital & physical). Now try removing the physical game. Not only does it NOT remove it, but when the page refreshes, the extended download is back in the list.

Thanks, I'll check this out as well.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
That's just for people to pick their preferred currency and which warehouse to ship from, it doesn't actually tell us the exact country. The VAT laws are complex enough that we really need the address to confirm that.
Ahh ok, fair enough. Thanks for explaining [:)]
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Yes, but where did you try to type that in? Was that in the store or on our Help Desk?

I got to it via logging into my account and then going through "Knowledgebase/Ask Question". There's a form on the page to contact support. That's the one into which I couldn't input my email address.

Regards,
Jim

Return to “General Discussion”