CSA Naval builds in 1.03b

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

silber

CSA Naval builds in 1.03b

Post by silber »

For the first time I've seen the CSA build commerce raiders after the EA. They are now up to 10, and have only finally stopped building them six months after the EA. It's early 1863, and I have a hard time, with thirteen cruisers (under two commanders, with a full rota of sub-commanders) catching any of them. If I'm lucky, less than half will actually raid.

Interesting. Maybe next time I play I will pull all of my cruisers off of blockade duty.

BTW, I know that only cruisers can intercept raiders, but how are gunboats and ironclads at blockade?
Joel Billings

RE: CSA Naval builds in 1.03b

Post by Joel Billings »

They are worth 1 blockade point while cruisers are worth 2.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Treefrog

Post by Treefrog »

The Union typically needs 20 cruisers with appropriate leaders (and in supply) to eradicate the CSA pirates.

The cost benefit analysis on this is probably that building 20 is too steep in terms of cost and that a longer campaign of only your 13 is better. However, in the world of instant gratification, it is sweet to sink 1 or 2 per turn until they rascals are all gone.
"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

The key with the raiders is to be on top of it as the Union from Turn 1. Commit cruisers to the raider box and never let the number of raiders get higher than the number of cruisers. In the long run, this strategy seems to work best.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
GShock

Post by GShock »

No no...they key is not to forget you need to keep the cruisers in supply or they will never catch a raider. [:)]

When i realized that i felt the greatest of the dorks, lol
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
silber

Post by silber »

How do you keep them in supply?
Doc o War

Post by Doc o War »

put a transport out in the sea area to supply the ships
Tell me the story of the common foot soldier, and I will tell you the story of all wars.
... Heroditus.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

All your ships need to be connected by a transport chain to friendly (home) territory. So just keep a single transport in the zone that's next to the New England Coast and the Blockade zone and you'll be fine.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
silber

Post by silber »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

All your ships need to be connected by a transport chain to friendly (home) territory. So just keep a single transport in the zone that's next to the New England Coast and the Blockade zone and you'll be fine.

So you don't need one in the Blockade zone itself, just the adjacent. Does this also apply for the raider box, or do you need a transport there as well.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Correct, just need to have it adjacent if you're supplying the ships. Note that for those blockade areas that you've taken the islands on, you will need a transport in the sea zone to supply any troops on the island.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
spruce

Post by spruce »

About supplying the ships - it's not very clearly in the manual I must say ! I lost my second Union game - do you guys know how many hours I spend on that ?

And a second thing - the manual says clearly to go and blockade the Confederate ports first and afterwards focus on the raiders - this thread suggests otherwise ! Now I come to think of it - if the raiders can hurt you for 3 years - 3 points a month - that's over 100 points ! And can indeed make the difference...

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”