System Damage

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Tactics

System Damage

Post by Tactics »

How much do you allow?

When you have a surface combat TF at sea system damage starts to add up. I guess from just being at sea?

Anyway - Am I wierd and the only one who watches this like a hawk? When my system damage reaches 5 I start to get antzy. I know 5 is green and 5 is a long way from 100, but I can't help ordering a ship with 5 sys. dam. back to a repair area.

To be honest even 2 makes me jumpy, a little. I can live with 1 but then in my head I know 2 is right around the corner and then 3 and then it's flank speed to the garage. Maybe this is because it's only Jan 42 and this is my first full game vs. AI.

Does it get eaisier to harden your emotions or are you all like me - Sensitive and worrisome over sys. damage?
BrucePowers

RE: System Damage

Post by BrucePowers »

Anything under 10 is pretty much no problem. After they get over 10, I try to find a repair yard. For merchant ships I will operate up to 20 in backwater areas.

For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Hawspipe

Post by Hawspipe »

How long dose it take it to repair a 10
Hawspipe
USS Cogswell DD 651
1956 to 1961
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

From a few days to forever.  It depends on the size of the port, size of the repair yard, number of ships in-port, durability of the ship, presence of naval HQ, presence of AR/AD/AS, etc.

From my limited experience, I've seen two BBs needing over one month to repair four dmg points apiece all alone in San Francisco.  Or Repulse not repairing a single point in Colombo, while alone there, for close to two months.  But I've also seen DDs & CLs repairing one or two sys dmg points a day in Singapore, with dozens of other ships anchored.

So, back to short answer : it depends.
Hawspipe

Post by Hawspipe »

if I sent every ship with 10 sys point or under in for repair  I would have my whole navy in port.
Hawspipe
USS Cogswell DD 651
1956 to 1961
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

Send them in turns, don't wait for all of them to reach 10 sys dmg to send them.  If for example you have four CVs and they're nearing 10, send a first before it's too late.  Once it's repaired, send the second.  And the next in turn. Etc.  IOW, rotate your ships in and out of action.
If all your ships are above 10, you're probably submitting them to too much stress without enough R&R.  Don't abuse of full speed, and don't let your seas at sea if you don't have a precise use for them there.[;)]
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

for sys damage of 10 or less does the port you dock in might be from 3-9in size. To repair green damage does the port require repair points or will docking there repairing the green damage? If so is it faster than a port with repair points?

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

AFAIK, every port can reduce sys dmg to 0, but only for ships that are disbanded in it (anchored, not in a TF).  But it's not fast.  As for the speed, it's not that simple.

There are two kind of repairs.  The first is from the port itself, where size matters.  A bigger port is better, and the number of ships in port doesn't matter.
The second is from repair yards, and there the number of damaged ships in the port matters.  A repair yard has a certain value, and that's teh number of repair points "created" in a turn.  For example, PH has a repair yard of 100, so it creates 100 repair points a day.  To repair one point of damage on a ship, it consumes a number of repair points equal to its durability + 25.  So, if you have several ships and their combined "cost" is higher than the value of the yard, they won't repair as fast as they could if they had no competition.
It also means that big ships like BBs or CVs should not be put in the same port as smaller ships (DDs, transports, CA/CL, etc), or else they'll never repair (at least not from the repair yard).

So, to answer your question, it depends.  If there are not too many ships in the port, yes repairs will be faster in a port with a repair yard.  Btu if there are too many ships, it won't do much difference, if the port size is the same.

Return to “The War Room”