Ship classification?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Bullman

Ship classification?

Post by Bullman »

Hello

Is there a table/chart that lists all the types of ships in WitP and groups them according to the classifications used in the Base Information Screen?

eg. in the Base Information Screen it lists the number of ships that are type CV, BB, CA ,DD, AP, AO, SS, DM, PT, AG, AU and AV but these categories seem to general/generic names that describe a range of different ship types (eg. AK, PG CVE). Exactly what types of ships do these "generic" categories contain?

These categories seem kind of confusing: eg. CV in this instance refers to ALL kinds of aircraft carriers eg. CV, CVE, CVL etc, yet CV itself is a particular type of ship/aircraft carrier. Why this duality and confusion?

Bull
rockmedic109

RE: Ship classification?

Post by rockmedic109 »

Not sure exactly, but it might be part of the FOW code.  It might also be lack of space, so some categories were put together.  Hasn't bothered me, so I don't worry about it.
Bullman

Post by Bullman »

Not sure what you are trying to say there exactly. [&:]

Surely it has to be referenced SOMEWHERE what those naval categories shown in the Base Information Screen encompass.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

It isn't.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Bullman

Post by Bullman »

OK...so if it isn't referenced in the game/manual (why this would be the case I have no idea), is it available elsewhere?

Surely it has to be documented SOMEWHERE?

eg. what kind of ship types belong to the AU category?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

No. In fact, you're the first person to ever have this problem that I can recall. Maybe you could make this reference.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Bullman

Post by Bullman »

Haha...I am the first person to "have this problem"? [:'(]
So the rest of you who don't "have this problem" automatically/naturally know/knew all the ship types that are included in each category.
eg. all the ship types that belong to the AU or AP category? etc.
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

I think he's just trying to say that you are the first person to worry about it...

I would assume they are grouped by primary role...CV group contains ships whose primary role is to carry aircraft...AP group primarily deals with personel...AK group I would guess included ships whose primary role is carrying non-human cargo...etc.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: Bullman

Haha...I am the first person to "have this problem"? [:'(]
So the rest of you who don't "have this problem" automatically/naturally know/knew all the ship types that are included in each category.
eg. all the ship types that belong to the AU or AP category? etc.

If you are looking for a particular TYPE of ship it has never been diffcult to find in the past. I don't expect it to be different in the future.

Using the FILTERs and the ability to SORT any ship or TYPE is simple to find.
Flipper
Bullman

Post by Bullman »

OK, I too undestand/would assume that the categories in the Base Information Screen are grouped by primary role. That seems logical and the intent of displaying that information there in the first place.

But what is NOT logical is expecting a player to automatically understand:

a) what the 12 acronym names actually refer to/mean ie. CV, BB, CA, DD, AP, AO, SS, DM, PT, AG, AU, AV
b) what ship types in the game actually belong to each of those acronym names

Although I am not a naval freak, I do recognize some of the more common/well known acronym names in that list, like CV, BB, CA and DD. However there is nothing there to tell me that in this case of viewing the the Base Information Screen, CV for example IS NOT just refering to the CV ship types anchored at the base. In this context it also seems to refer to any CVEs and CVLs as well. Even more confusing is the use of the acronym AU which doesn't even have a direct ship type counterpart or is even mentioned or listed anywhere in the manual/appendix. I have to "guess" what ship types this mysterious acronymn is refering to (I think I have been at least able to work out that maybe the ship type AS (submarine tender) belongs to this AU category...don't ask me even what an AS ship type is useful for [:'(]).

I find it incredible that no one has yet even acknowledged that there is something rather odd and inconsistent with this or that it is even worth discussing/clarifying. Maybe no one even LOOKs at that summary screen to get information on what ships are available at a certain base. If they don't then obviously the screen is usless/redundnat to players so why even have it in the game? [&:]
Bullman

Post by Bullman »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

If you are looking for a particular TYPE of ship it has never been diffcult to find in the past. I don't expect it to be different in the future.

Using the FILTERs and the ability to SORT any ship or TYPE is simple to find.

Looking for a particular type of ship is different to looking to see what types of ships are available at a base. That Base Information Screen is MEANT to give you a summary of what ships types are avalaible/anchored at that base but without a legend/listing telling me what ship types are actually included in each of those 12 categories, it is basically useless.
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: Bullman

OK, I too undestand/would assume that the categories in the Base Information Screen are grouped by primary role. That seems logical and the intent of displaying that information there in the first place.

But what is NOT logical is expecting a player to automatically understand:

a) what the 12 acronym names actually refer to/mean ie. CV, BB, CA, DD, AP, AO, SS, DM, PT, AG, AU, AV
b) what ship types in the game actually belong to each of those acronym names

Although I am not a naval freak, I do recognize some of the more common/well known acronym names in that list, like CV, BB, CA and DD. However there is nothing there to tell me that in this case of viewing the the Base Information Screen, CV for example IS NOT just refering to the CV ship types anchored at the base. In this context it also seems to refer to any CVEs and CVLs as well. Even more confusing is the use of the acronym AU which doesn't even have a direct ship type counterpart or is even mentioned or listed anywhere in the manual/appendix. I have to "guess" what ship types this mysterious acronymn is refering to (I think I have been at least able to work out that maybe the ship type AS (submarine tender) belongs to this AU category...don't ask me even what an AS ship type is useful for [:'(]).

I find it incredible that no one has yet even acknowledged that there is something rather odd and inconsistent with this or that it is even worth discussing/clarifying. Maybe no one even LOOKs at that summary screen to get information on what ships are available at a certain base. If they don't then obviously the screen is usless/redundnat to players so why even have it in the game? [&:]

Is this what you are looking 4?

Attachments
MA1.jpg
MA1.jpg (41.35 KiB) Viewed 139 times
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

and on the next page:

Attachments
MA2.jpg
MA2.jpg (59.35 KiB) Viewed 138 times
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

And this is some pretty good info on Depots & Tenders:

Attachments
supshp1.jpg
supshp1.jpg (67.68 KiB) Viewed 138 times
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

and on the next page:

Attachments
supshps2.jpg
supshps2.jpg (106.81 KiB) Viewed 138 times
TTFN,

Mike
Bullman

Post by Bullman »

It SHOULD be what I am looking for but it isn't. [:'(] I recognize that as an excerpt from the manual's Appendix.  It seems to COMPREHENSIVELY list and name all the ship types in the game.  What it doesn't show or refer to (or even differentiate in the case of the term CV for example when used in the context of the Base Information Screen), is what types of ships belong to the categories listed in the Base Information Screen.

eg.  the mysterious AU category you see in the Base Information Screen is not even listed in the appendix you have shown or refered to anywhere else in the manual.  As I have mentioned before, unlike the generic CV or BB category, the AU category name doesn't even have a ship type equivalent to make you kind of gleam what kind of ship types it is even refering to.
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

Umm - do you mean this? Interesting tho that I don't see AK/AP in this matrix...

Attachments
shphdrs.jpg
shphdrs.jpg (43.09 KiB) Viewed 138 times
TTFN,

Mike
Bullman

Post by Bullman »

I'm sorry if there has been any confusion in actually WHAT part of the game I was refering to.  Just in case, this is the screen I am talking about.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

You only have 1501 supplies and 31 AS at Midway .... Japanese player attack now !!!!

I get what you are saying...to list all classes would have to be rendered in + 1440 * 900 or above ... that is impossible in this game (at present). Classes and even TF are grouped together. So a Tanker TF is still a transport TF ... it is one of those things that should have been fixed sometime, but never was.
Local Yokel

Post by Local Yokel »

Bullman's criticism is justified.  The grouping of ships on the base screen is arbitrary and in some cases counter-intuitive.  For example:

'AU' was presumably intended to be a shorthand for 'Auxiliaries', yet vessels in the PC and PG catagory are included in this grouping.

'DM' is the code for a destroyer-minelayer, yet all mine warfare craft get included within this grouping - with the exception of MLE's, which (probably correctly) get assigned to the 'AU' group.

Most confusing of all is the treatment of scout cruisers ('CS' type vessels).  On the ships screen, these get filtered in and out by selecting 'CA/CL', but in the base screen CS ships are assigned to the 'AV' group.

For me this isn't a big issue as I can usually keep a reasonably accurate picture of critical ships' whereabouts "in me 'ead".  But for those hoping to receive enlightenment from the base details screen, the ship groupings used aren't very helpful.  Have some sympathy for the interface designer, though: presenting this information unambiguously isn't straightforward.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”