Current book...

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Grell

RE: Current book...

Post by Grell »

The Seven Years War in Europe 1756-1763 by Franz A.J. Szabo.
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Bloody Shambles vol 1. Next on my list is Berlin Soldier by Altmut.
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

My current reading list, I generally read multiple books in parallel:

Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America 1754-1766, Fred Anderson
Death of the Wehrmacht: The German Campaigns of 1942, Robert M. Citino
Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming, Bjorn Lomborg
Baghdad at Sunrise: A Brigade Commander's War in Iraq, Peter R. Mansoor
The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy 1943-1944, Rick Atkinson

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Oh dear, you're reading Lomborg...[8|]

I'm re-reading The Odessa File by Frederick Forsyth. Almost finished with it.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

I feel out of place here with my book selections and for that matter out of place in most other situations too :). I just finished At All Costs (a sci-fi) book last night and I'm starting Post Captain (a historical fiction book next). I would like to read Shattered Sword (I think that is what it is called about Midway), but our library doesn't have it.

Bill
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Yeah, I just started his book... what's wrong with Lomborg?
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

He's very unpleasant, and on extremely shaky scientific ground.

(I know, I know, that can be said for the other side, but still...)
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

He's very unpleasant, and on extremely shaky scientific ground.
(I know, I know, that can be said for the other side, but still...)

Well, as for the unpleasant part, I don't know him personally but that wouldn't really have a bearing on reading his book. Lots of authors are not very pleasant in person.

As far as the analysis, I haven't gotten far enough into it yet to make any judgement. The general premise is what interested me. The idea that climate change initiatives should be weighed and analyzed together with other environmental challenges to see where we are really best advised to put our efforts is a good one. People often get tunnel vision when a particular cause becomes popular and other "low hanging fruit" is completely ignored.'

Have you read his book yet? If not, I'll let you know how I like it once I'm done.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I don't know him either, but he's Danish, and has spent a lot of time in front of domestic news cameras over the past three or four years.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Technical Readout 3039
Highly recommended for new BattleTech players. Best TRO ever!
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Yeah, I just started his book... what's wrong with Lomborg?

I don´t know about Lomborg himself, but I have to agree with the shaky science thing.

He´s a statistician. I don´t have any prejudice against statisticians, in fact some people I respect very much are statisticians - but the art and science of statistics is very much open for abuse.
It is an open secret among those who know statistics (well, very open, but not much of a secret) that you can use statistics to "prove" essentially anything, no matter if it´s true or false.
There´s a joke I heard about statisticians that may well be spot on about Lomborg: A statistician goes hunting with his friends. When he sees a deer, he shoots at it twice; the first round goes exactly ten feet to the left of the deer, the second round exactly ten feet to the right. Afterwards, when talking about the hunt with his friends, he states that, on average, his shots hit the deer dead center.
I could also, more seriously, use statistics to "prove" to you that day-care centers cause leukemia in small children, or that our solar system doesn´t exist.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Oh, point about statistics well taken. I'm very familiar with how dangerous statistics can be. With that said, it seems that there have been a lot of statistics thrown around this debate in general, so I figured why not read a few more. I read any serious book with my critical thinking skills turned on.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Oh, point about statistics well taken. I'm very familiar with how dangerous statistics can be. With that said, it seems that there have been a lot of statistics thrown around this debate in general, so I figured why not read a few more. I read any serious book with my critical thinking skills turned on.

Sometimes, I feel as though the "social sciences" movement never took place. Gone is the time when a researcher/author could be lauded as virtuous based solely on the integrity of his work, agree with the conclusions, or not. More and more, I feel like I'm being inundated with "sponsored" gibberish from this talking head, or that, someone who was commissioned to generate a body of data that takes the world where the commissioner would have it go.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

"Things fall apart, the center cannot hold." -William Butler Yeats, The Second Coming
Government is the opiate of the masses.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

<post deleted>
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Anyway, we should probably stop with the thread high-jack I started...[:D] Finished The Odessa File today, so I'll probably go with either Forsyth's Dogs of War (also a re-read) or Day of Battle (what do you know, it's a re-read![:D]).
Mac67

Post by Mac67 »

The Great White Hopes: The Quest To Defeat Jack Johnson by Graeme Kent

http://www.amazon.com/Great-White-Hopes ... 0750938927

Tells the stories of the various white fighters and their promoters, who attempted to dethrone the worlds first black heavyweight boxing champion. Hugely entertaining, I would recommend it to any boxing fans.
"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

ImageThe Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen
Neil N

Post by Neil N »

We Are Soldiers Still: Just finished

Currently in Progress:
The Battalion
Alamo in the Ardennes
If it does not have a gun, it cannot be fun.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Been reading Rick Atkinson's An Army at Dawn (US in N. Africa) for a while.
&nbsp;
Also Black Ships, Jo Graham, (the story of the travels of Prince Aeneas from a slightly different perpsective).
&nbsp;
Rick
&nbsp;
jimi3

Post by jimi3 »

1912 Wilson, Roosevelt, Taft & Debs-The Electiion that Changed the Country by James Chace. This is an interesting time to be reading this one.
Cheers, Jim
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

I just ordered "Simplicissimus" by Grimmelshausen.&nbsp; Even on Amazon, English translations didn't appear to be that plentiful.&nbsp;

Return to “General Discussion”