Oil, Random Research and Game Balance

Commander – Europe at War Gold is the first in a series of high level turn based strategy games. The first game spans WW2, allowing players to control the axis or allied forces through the entire war in the European Theatre.
canuckgamer

Oil, Random Research and Game Balance

Post by canuckgamer »

I have just started a PBEM game as the Axis. On the advice of another friend who has played CEAW, I have selected the oil option and have not selected random research. His opinion is that without the oil option and random research selected, the game favours the Axis. After playing around with the game solitaire for a few turns, it appears to me that the Axis will run out of oil quickly. They are getting only 12 oil per turn and moving two armour each more then one hex consumes 12 oil. This is not counting the usage of air, and motorized. Other then Iraq I only see additional oilfields in Russia. In the opinion of you veteran players, does the oil option make it difficult for the Axis to win?
GaryChildress

RE: Oil, Random Research and Game Balance

Post by GaryChildress »

I'm still playing a game against the AI with oil consumption ON. Of course the AI isn't as tough as a human but so far in the AI game I've been able to conquer most of Russia, including more oil fields in the Caucasus and in Iraq which have given me all the oil I need now. For a while I was down to like 88 oil points running a LOT of oil consuming units. I think oil consumption makes the game MUCH more interesting but against a human opponent I can definitely see the Axis running out of gas by 1943.
Harrybanana

RE: Oil, Random Research and Game Balance

Post by Harrybanana »

The oil option definitely makes it more difficult for the Axis to win. In fact you should be aware that, at least in my opinion, it is more difficult for the Axis to win than the Allies. You will start getting oil from Rumania once it enters the War. The only other options for oil for you are Iraq (and possibly Persia) or the caucus fields in Russia.

You should, early on in your game, decide whether you want to go with an infantry heavy Axis or an armour heavy Axis. If the latter you should concentrate on your tank techs and make a concerted effort to capture the above oil fields. If you don't you will run out of oil very quickly. However, it is possible to win the game as the Axis by building up a large high tech primarily infantry army.

Whatever you decide you will probably need to be careful with your oil consumption. Be sure to rail your armor from Poland to France, conquer Denmark (when the time comes) with infantry not your armor. Try to not move your armor at all during the Russian Winters, carefully consider before you use your fighters to soften up enemy ground units, etc.
Robert Harris

Return to “Commander - Europe at War Gold”