Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein

Based on Atomic Games’ award-winning Close Combat series, Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein brings together the classic top-down tactical gameplay from the original series and plenty of new features, expansions, and improvements! The Wacht am Rhein remake comes with a brand new Grand Campaign including a new strategic map with 64 gorgeous hand-drawn tactical maps, over 70 scenarios, tons of new interface and unit graphics, countless engine improvements, and much more!
GaryChildress

Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein

Post by GaryChildress »

I can't wait for this to be released. The previews look absolutely awesome!

Anyone know when it's supposed to go gold so I can start counting the minutes?
ANZAC_Tack

RE: Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein

Post by ANZAC_Tack »

hi,
i have been a CC junkiw over 11 years, i have been keeping a sharp eye on release date(and gone blue from holding breath!!!!), im guessing by the language of testers(google Closecombatonline and or closecombatseries ), and more frequent posts(means they have more time now its gone gold) it has in past weeks. this is am assumption, im not a tester anymore,or any affiliations,but by past experience the holdup now it with <matrix>,they like to add there final touches,make the downloads/dvd/covers, i have never seen/heard the release company make game changes(once mircosoft(atomic),then SSI(atomic),then matrix(CSO/simtek/S3T) for this series&nbsp;(to my knowledge).
&nbsp;
<we all joked>[&o] december 17th would make a nice release date,seing its the remake/refit/retrofit of CCIV the battle of the bulge...
ANZAC_Tack
BoredStiff

Post by BoredStiff »

Is this still the same series as this game?

BoredStiff

Lützow

Post by Lützow »

I owned the original CC 'Battle at the Bulge' and wonder if there are any new features in the remastered version.
ANZAC_Tack

Post by ANZAC_Tack »

bored, yes same series 12 years on. just the rights have changed hands.
&nbsp;
lutz, its based on cciv,but all reworked, maps recoded,or most new,more connections, more units, better sounds,graphics,XP/vista32/64 compatable,its like a new game based on old really.
&nbsp;
ccIII the russian front got a work over over a year ago by same people, matrix sells it called CoI,maybe try that also,ditto CC Modern Tactics,but its got no Grand campaigns or ops,just single battles.
&nbsp;
i have had a 4 month break from CC since,once WaR comes out ill be back with avengence, to be honest after playing the old beta of WaR in early testing,i cant play any older CC without noticing the difference! therefore notice how good WaR has been 'remade'(many bugs in grand campaigns, reinforecments'cheats',online problems with cciv/ccv,XP/vista 32/64 problems etc...)
ANZAC_Tack
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

More than 15 units on a map would be appreciated but I'm probably going to buy it anyway and if it's just for old memories.
ANZAC_Tack

Post by ANZAC_Tack »

i have tested a mil op that had 20 units,like CC1 and it was just to confusing, yeah if they where 1 to 4 man teams,but 7/8 men, on big maps its good,but u loose focus.maybe someday u could allocate unit numbers.
ANZAC_Tack
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

I owned the original CC 'Battle at the Bulge' and wonder if there are any new features in the remastered version.

Supposedly there are a LOT of new maps added. Here are some of the listed new features:
There are now 64 maps allowable as compared to the original 43. Many stock CC4 maps are included and some have been enhanced with 30-40 brand new landscapes never before seen by CC4'ers.

The strategic map data is now exported to a text file, which is editable in a spreadsheet program for players wishing to customize the strategic game.

Strategic turns per day are now editable up to four per day.

The campaign data is editable as well, with slots added so BOTH sides have naval/heavy artillery, regular artillery, air strikes as well as supply drops. Previously the Axis side slot did not have all these options. Next to none of it was editable.

Weather is editable, with weather effects on tactical battles enhanced to have a greater impact.

Battlegroups can now be recycled if disbanded or never come back to game play.

Unit selection in the battlegroup screen can be locked or made editable by both players to their liking.

A point system has been included so players can agree to keep their side to a specific number of unit points.

Recon sighting % chance on the strategic map is now editable.

The AI battlegroup S.O.P. plans are now editable.

All graphics locations are now editable on the strategic screen. This is a fix to an issue that has been a long standing beef for some hardcore Close Combat grogs.

A "retreat" function has been added to the strategic system so that instead of simply disbanding 100% of the time a unit might retreat to a friendly unoccupied map, depending on the outcome of the battle.

The number of artillery supported maps are now editable between 0% and 100%.

ALL other data for units, soldiers, weapons, etc. all has been ported to text file format for ease of editing.

http://www.wargamer.com/article/2557/cl ... view%C2%A0
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

CCMT is still my favourite. CCIV was pretty nice, but the campaing wasn't in my style (I prefer more consistant experience - i.e. if I'm playing a platoon commander, then I'm playing a platoon commander, not a commander of whole operation.) and fighting a battle after battle is a massive timeater (sometimes I hate the only one turn/battle more syndrome).
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

For me I liked the strategic layer, gave a better feeling about having a linked campaign.

On the other hand I didn't own the entire series but only played CCIII + CCIV.
Grell

Post by Grell »

I liked and played all of them.

Regards,

Grell
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

I look forward to the release. I haven't played one of these since the original was released. I think A Bridge Too Far was my favorite. I loved that game.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I think you guys will really enjoy CC: Wacht am Rhein. It's shaping up to be a great release and will be out before Christmas.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Excellent![&o]
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
Doggie

Post by Doggie »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I think you guys will really enjoy CC: Wacht am Rhein. It's shaping up to be a great release and will be out before Christmas.

Am I on your Christmas list? All that stuff about you driving a subaru, wearing birkenstocks, and having a shrine to Che Guevarra in your bedroom - I keeed Erik Rutkins.[:)]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: BoredStiff

Is this still the same series as this game?

Speaking of CC2 A Bridge Too Far, it would be really cool to have the CCIV/V engine incorporated into Operation Market Garden. XXX Corps fighting it's way up a strategic map to releive 1st Airborne at the far end. [8D]
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

CCMT is still my favourite. CCIV was pretty nice, but the campaing wasn't in my style (I prefer more consistant experience - i.e. if I'm playing a platoon commander, then I'm playing a platoon commander, not a commander of whole operation.) and fighting a battle after battle is a massive timeater (sometimes I hate the only one turn/battle more syndrome).

The only thing I didn't like about CCIV was the snow graphics. Made things seem to much the same from scenario to scenario.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

I've purchased and owned the whole series, and must agree that "A Bridge too Far" was the best in the bunch. Having been away from the series for a number of years, I went ahead and purchased COI recently, and I'm having a ball. Looking forward to the release of "WaR".
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

I've purchased and owned the whole series, and must agree that "A Bridge too Far" was the best in the bunch. Having been away from the series for a number of years, I went ahead and purchased COI recently, and I'm having a ball. Looking forward to the release of "WaR".

It was my favourite one too.

Speaking of that, we just did a little Market-Garden battlefield tour on the weekend, most on the group were checking out how the real thing was compared to the CC2 maps ;), especially at Son Bridge ...
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

The only thing I didn't like about CCIV was the snow graphics. Made things seem to much the same from scenario to scenario.

Well, the Ardennes were a pretty dull and snowy place by that time [;)]

Return to “Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein”