Is this game in any way similar in style to FOF?

Hussar Games "For Liberty!" is a turn based game of the American Revolution and the Rakoczi Independence War. Command the armies of the newly born United States of America against Britain or the ill-equipped Hungarian rebels against mighty Austria. 1848 is a turn base game on the Hungarian rebellion against Austria in 1848-49.

Moderator: HussarGames

pjwheeling

Is this game in any way similar in style to FOF?

Post by pjwheeling »

This game appears to be sort of a poor man's version of FOF for the American Revolution.
Is that a fair assessment?
I don't see many games for the American Revolution other than the AGEOD games, which I don't particularly love.
Any opinions on the game would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick
I cannot help but think that great results would have been obtained had my views been thought better of; yet I am much inclined to accept the present condition as for the best.

General James Longstreet
James Ward

RE: Is this game in any way similar in style to FOF?

Post by James Ward »

There are some problems such as the ability to instantly raise large armies but overall it is fun. There are a lot of options and it not a traditional war as the British generally determine where the fronts are. Support sucks for the game but if you can pick it up cheap and can get into a head to head or e-mail game it's well worth it. The Revolutionary War is a blast plus you get 1848 which is fun too.
Venator

Post by Venator »

The Hungarian revolt is much better than the '76 War of Ingratitude scenario and the AI isn't quite so feeble in it (or rather it is as feeble but the nature of the war suits it better).

Head to head, it's an intriguing scenario and well worth the outlay I'd say. If you can cope with the lack of support and slightly irritating quirks (like when a fortress falls and you have to scour the whole map to find out where it is...). And even against the AI it gives some interest.
jeffreysutro@jeffreysutro.com

Post by jeffreysutro@jeffreysutro.com »

ORIGINAL: pjwheeling

This game appears to be sort of a poor man's version of FOF for the American Revolution.
Is that a fair assessment?
I don't see many games for the American Revolution other than the AGEOD games, which I don't particularly love.
Any opinions on the game would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick
[font="Times New Roman"]The game is quite different from Forge of Freedom. For Liberty is more of a traditional wargame, played on a hex grid on an operational and tactical level, with some strategic level decision making as well. It is about as detailed as Forge of Freedom, which is a strategic / tactical level game with area movement on the strategic level and a hex grid on the tactical level. For Liberty has more operational level detail, while Forge of Freedom has more strategic level decision making. They are fairly similar at the tactical level.

For Liberty is quite playable, with rules that are not very difficult to learn. It can be played relatively quickly if you use automatic resolution of the battles, but is quite a lengthy game if you play out each battle. I like the game very well, and if you like the "traditional" type of turn based wargames you probably will too.
[/font]
All My Best,

Jeff Sutro
FM WarB

Post by FM WarB »

As long as Hordes of militia from the Carolinas can advance on Boston from Maine, this game is silly.

As long as 40k armies can be formed, and surrounded, but by sitting on one town, be in supply, this game is silly.

They dont support the game, or intend to change it....Indeed, same silly supply rules apply in Napoleon in Italy.
HussarGames

Post by HussarGames »

ORIGINAL: FM WarB

As long as 40k armies can be formed, and surrounded, but by sitting on one town, be in supply, this game is silly.

It is not silly, it is working as designed. And we have a full-time military historian on our team. If we modeled long supply lines, this could be easily exploited against the AI, by sending small cavalry detachments to the rear to cut supply. This is utterly unrealistic. You can still send cavalry detachments to the rear and cause havoc by pillaging towns.
40K armies cannot be sustained in the game except in seaports and a few big cities.
When you take a town, it takes 4 weeks to bring it up to full supply capacity simulating the need to bring forward supplies.
If you play the game against a human opponent, you will see that leaving your supply/retreat route taken by the enemy is disastrous.

In short, supply is not silly. Long supply lines are simply not modeled because they could be easily exploited in the game by using totally unrealistic tactics. The supply rules force the player to use a realistic contemporary approach which is most of the time relies on : engaging the enemy, keeping your retreat / supply lines intact and retreating when necessary.
HussarGames

Post by HussarGames »

ORIGINAL: James Ward

There are some problems such as the ability to instantly raise large armies

Yes, but those large armies start out with an experience of 10 and a very low morale. These troops are useless in battle. You must keep those troops safe and train them for about a year.
jeffreysutro@jeffreysutro.com

Post by jeffreysutro@jeffreysutro.com »

They dont support the game, or intend to change it

[font="Times New Roman"]In my opinion any game that is still being supported and improved almost 3 years after it was first released is an outstanding example of support. Hussar may not be fast (he does still have to work his day job after all), but he is good![/font]
All My Best,

Jeff Sutro
lancer

Post by lancer »

Goodaye,

I'd have to add a big thumbs up for the patch three years after the release.

The lack of Hussar on the forums for great big chunks of time hasn't helped
the games perception by the players but - as mentioned - it's possible he might not have that much spare time available.

The game itself is pretty sound. All the comments mentioned above (negative ones) are wide of the mark (read Hussar's replies).

It certainly does have issues but no more than any other decent, well-rounded game.

Overall it gives a good portrayal of the Revolution. Once you get your head around some of the design decisions (eg. the supply as discussed above) you find yourself acting fairly realistically.

The negativity found in parts of the forum is largely (my opinion) due to the absence of Hussar and his explanations. People tend to get confused and cranky when certain parts of the game are perceived as 'broken' and no reasons are given otherwise.

It's a solid game and a lot of fun and I'd recommend it.

Cheers,
Lancer
pvthudson01

Post by pvthudson01 »

I think its cool people are taking the time to make more HEX BASED wargames like when this one was released instead of that Province garbage that the genre is migrating to. Dont get me wrong, I like some BOA2 myself, but nothing beats getting in there and hexing it out like in COG or FOF
Matrix Member since 2003!

Return to “For Liberty! & 1848”