Ulver vs. Geoffrey or Germany goes East while France goes to the Desert

Post descriptions and reports of your brilliant successes and unfortunate defeats here.
ulver

Desperate Entente Plans

Post by ulver »

Defeatism and pacifism are spreading like wildfire among the Entente leadership. Only the arrival of the ever optimistic Americans prevents a weary France and Britain from seeking a status quo peace in the West.

The consensus is that a general offensive in the West against the massively entrenched bulk of The German army is a pointless slaughter that is unlikely to achieve anything but what other choices are there?

Amidst all the doom and gloom there are a few factors giving the Entente cause for some measure of guarded optimism. The Central Powers continue to make no effort to contest complete Entente control of the seas – allowing for forces to be shifted into position quite fast – likely a lot faster then the German continental net can carry reinforcements. Allowing me to shift forces quickly might allow me to exploit a breakthrough. Likewise the Central Powers seems absent from the air – only making the occasional raid allowing me to inspect the entire front line looking for vulnerabilities and increasing the deadliness of my artillery while ensuring the he will see very little at least in the west.
May-Jun 1918: Air supremacy in the West has been achieved
Attachments
airvictory.jpg
airvictory.jpg (31.4 KiB) Viewed 360 times
ulver

RE: Desperate Entente Plans

Post by ulver »

Unfortunately what my excellent multiple and crystal sharp aerial photographs showed me made for depressing intelligence. There were no week points in the massively fortified German front. Clearly the first step was stretching his front to thin his line and then use my recon to find a week spot. The US graciously offered to protect the Netherlands and moved north while the French massed for an attack in the South.

Among the few bright spots the German High Seas fleets attempted breakout into the Atlantic was brushed aside by the Combined British-French-American fleet with contempt
May-Jun 1918: The slaughter begins. I hold little hope I will accomplish anything but I’m out of options.
Attachments
order.jpg
order.jpg (105.02 KiB) Viewed 360 times
ulver

Post by ulver »

Depressing. Slaughtering millions knowing it is useless.

Well no matter, in the face of adversity there was little choice but to solder on. At least his casualties begin climbing. I may not be able to win but I plan to kill a lot of Germans losing. “Over The Top” along the entire front is the watchword.

Much to my astonishment a miracle began happening - the colossus wavered. The weary French government could hardly believe the reports coming in of their troops beginning to advance into Germany.
Later May-Jun 1918: Hope after all?
Attachments
order.jpg
order.jpg (127.52 KiB) Viewed 360 times
hjaco

Post by hjaco »

Nothing new from the western front [&:]
Hit them where they aren't
ulver

Post by ulver »

ORIGINAL: hjaco

Nothing new from the western front [&:]
The news from the Western front is of a brutal slaughter unmatched by anything in the long savage history of warfare. 1918 will eventually inflict greater losses on both sides then the entire was until then. Gas, assault troops and tanks are unleashed supported by murderous concentrated artillery on both sides. Daily casualties run into tens and even hundreds of thousands. Little doubt remain that the Central Power victory remains unassailable on points but to my astonishments the Entente, bleeding, bruised and humiliated are actually winning the war despite the incompetence displayed by its high command.

Germany is consistently able to mass just as many forces on the West front as the combined allies but total Entente air superiority now removes the fog of war completely allowing them to advance wherever the German line is weakest. If only there was more time.
End of Jul-Aug 1918: The Rhine runs red with the blood of millions.
Attachments
Status2nd..icphase.jpg
Status2nd..icphase.jpg (131.76 KiB) Viewed 360 times
ulver

East Front

Post by ulver »

In the Ukraine the Austrian offensive succeed in capturing the need food to ensure the Central Powers will never run short of food.

The Entente remains in control of Vital Russian resources however, likely reducing Central Powers production considerably
Jul-Aug 1918: Odessa remained fully supplied by sea supply and the garrison is redrawn for assault training and teleported to the Western front.
Attachments
athens.jpg
athens.jpg (94.72 KiB) Viewed 360 times
ulver

Middel East 1918

Post by ulver »

The collapse of Italy left the Central powers in control of much of the Middle East. A rapid US response allows the Entente to retain control of some oil resources
Jul-Aug 1918: the US scrambles to save the situation in the Middle East
Attachments
overviewmap.jpg
overviewmap.jpg (100.88 KiB) Viewed 360 times
ulver

Entente dreams

Post by ulver »

As the blood soaked year of 1918 draws to a close the Entente continue to drive into southern Germany and onward into Austria sizing Munich and Salzburg.

Seems German army quality is – finally - beginning to suffer while Entente army morale remain unbroken. For a moment the Entente begin to have dreams of something other that an honorable defeat. Such foolish thoughts but there you are.
Nov-Dec 1918: Drive in the South: Might we actually accomplish something?
Attachments
order.jpg
order.jpg (153.13 KiB) Viewed 360 times
ulver

Ottoman Front

Post by ulver »

A joined combined operation with American invasions against Trieste and Salonika is a dismal failure with two American A class corps slaughtered on the beaches to no avail while a French level 2 assault corps smash two Ottoman dug in corps in Smyrna with surprising ease

Meanwhile American cavalry surround Aleppo with no opposition. Must be Teddy Roosevelt’s Rough Riders resurrected for the Syrian Desert. Does this mean there is finally a chance to knock out the blasted Ottomans?
Middle East Nov-Dec 1918: The Turks still show no inclination to quitting
Attachments
order.jpg
order.jpg (99.97 KiB) Viewed 360 times
geoffreyg

Post by geoffreyg »

ORIGINAL: ulver
"Germany is consistently able to mass just as many forces on the West front as the combined allies but total Entente air superiority now removes the fog of war completely allowing them to advance wherever the German line is weakest. If only there was more time."
[/quote]

Ulver makes a very good point. As the initiative somewhat inevitably switches to the TE, they can pick and choose their places to attack, and tanks and assault troops negate the effectiveness of my 4 level trench system.
However the only other time I have reached this point in the game I did hang on for a win as the CP so I am still reasonably optimistic at this stage. Only time will tell however!

ulver

End of 1918

Post by ulver »

For awhile 1918 actually brought the desperate Entente some small measure of hope but the years end still show the Central Powers with what surely is an insurmountable lead. Short of taking Berlin there appears little hope of even getting a draw.
End of 1918: Out of hope and almost out of time.
Attachments
1918end.jpg
1918end.jpg (82.44 KiB) Viewed 358 times
ulver

Ottoman sues for peace

Post by ulver »

The spring finally brings the long-dreamed of news of an Entente victory. The Ottoman Empire sues for peace.
Mar-Apr 1919: Now if only I could knock out the Austrians I might get close to a draw.
Attachments
order.jpg
order.jpg (162.68 KiB) Viewed 358 times
ulver

Spring offensives 1919

Post by ulver »

The spring of 1919 would se both sides implement strategic offensives on the Western Fronts. In a remarkable development both sides would succeed in achieving their strategic objectives in a fluid front with messy and bloody results.

Oddly enough Germany was actually consistently able to field more strength points then the Entente, however, the massed combined US-British French air force have now established complete air supremacy pretty much completely lifting the fog of war for the advancing allied armies while the Germans are fighting completely blind. An Advantage allowing me to exploit any weaknesses and attack wherever he is weakest.
Mar-Apr 1919: Starting positions for the offensives. Germany is massing for a drive to cut of the Allied armies from France.
Attachments
order.jpg
order.jpg (176.8 KiB) Viewed 358 times
ulver

RE: Spring offensives 1919

Post by ulver »

Initially his southwards strike sizing an undefended Munich looked like it would turn out very badly when his spearhead was cut of in the besieged city. Meanwhile a rainbow collation of British, French and American forces pushed ever deeper into Austria and the gates of Vienna and Prague headless of the risk to their flanks. The clock is rapidly running out and the time for caution is over. The biggest problem for the Entente is the limitations imposed in reinforcements by the French railway system. Buoyed up be the success of the amphibious strike against Smyrna the allies plan a daring new strike from the sea while Germans plot their own encirclement masterstroke.
May-Jun 1919: Victory in sight?
Attachments
order.jpg
order.jpg (194.79 KiB) Viewed 358 times
ulver

Post by ulver »

June 1919 would se the strategic masterstrokes of both sides succeed.

Expertly coordinated German counterattacks from both north and south cut off the bulk of the Entente armies in southern Germany and Austria from France.

This would have been a full-blown disaster except that on the very same day US marines storm ashore in Venice while a southwards British thrust size Trieste opening allied shipping and supplies via the Mediterranean ports.

The net result is that a messy confused theatre of operations becomes even more so. In many ways that works to my advantage as the value air reconnaissance increases the more this becomes a battle of mobility.

In what I hope is a portent of things to come British assault troops size Prague while the French marines land in Scutari hamming Austrian morale

May-Jun 1919: Downright weird. Who won exactly? Well he did cut me off from france but....
Attachments
order.jpg
order.jpg (167.7 KiB) Viewed 358 times
ulver

Post by ulver »

I have to say that by by Jul-Aug 1919 things looks a lot better then I ever thought they would.
Jul-Aug 1919: I’m 40 points behind and adjacent to Vienna worth 40 points: coincidence? I think not. Perhaps I don’t need to get to Berlin after all.
Attachments
order.jpg
order.jpg (51.84 KiB) Viewed 363 times
hjaco

Post by hjaco »

There you see Ulver?

Resistance is NOT futile [;)]
Hit them where they aren't
arichbourg

Post by arichbourg »

It's simply way more fun to read Ulver's AARs than to actually play the game. I hope he keeps them coming! Makes for great at-work reading.
geoffreyg

Post by geoffreyg »

I think it is fair to say that Ulver has been playing better than me over the last few months. Nice fluid attacks with top level assault troops aided by complete dominance of the air.
I had to sack my KuK army commander at Prague for a pathetic defensive effort!
ulver

Post by ulver »

ORIGINAL: hjaco

There you see Ulver?

Resistance is NOT futile [;)]
This is probably the most entertaining GOA game I’ve played with the advantage swinging wildly back and forth. Both sides have experienced the trauma of defeat followed by the euphoria of victory.

Best of all: Whatever happens we look certain to be heading for a photo finish. The best games are always those decided in the very last impulse by a single point and here we may actually be looking at a draw

One lessen that has genuinely surprised me is that the Central Powers must knock out France or lose the war. There may well be other strategies available for winning the game but those all relay on running out the clock and merely postpone the inevitable defeat of Germany outside the timeframe of the game.

My opponent played an absolutely brilliant game knocking out both Russia and Italy while keeping the Ottomans in the war. He achieve more by the end of 1917 then I would ever dare dream of - isolating huge Russian armies and starving them to death without ever having to expend lives and treasure eliminating them. He did all this without any particular luck even having to contend with functional constitutional government in Russia making the cost of forcing an armistice with the Russians that much greater.

By any reasonable measure he outplayed me and was on top of the world. A desponded Entente faced 1918 with the Central Powers in uncontested control of the European continent east of the French border except for a small pocket in the Ukraine and a real fear that a massed German attack might overrun France. I estimated my chances somewhere between zip and zero and only ordered the general offensive in the West out of desperation with very little hope it would achieve anything.

I always knew that Entente was the stronger side but even I had massively underestimated the way technology shifts the advantage to the attacker in the endgame. Even with 1-1 odds, tanks and elite assault troops will easily push the defender aside and I’ve routinely prevailed even against numerically superior forces. This equally applies to his counterattack obviously but with entry of the Unites States I can afford a lot more offensives and expensive tanks. With the ability to entirely ignore trenches and a sizable firepower bonus to attacking assault troops the stalemate is comprehensively broken and a fluid war of movement is back. Given enough time the Entente is certain to win this new mobile war.

The sheer speed of the advance shocked me. Slightly less then a year after starting the offensive in the spring of 1918 British forces would smash into Prague and American forces would be on the outskirts of Vienna. Any static defence is useless. The only thing that works is counterattacks and those increases the speed the meet grinder works at – in a situation where I have a lot more meat to grind.
Late August 1919: An illustration that advanced tank technology pretty much guarantee a successful advance even when you lose the battle by any reasonable standards. There is simply no way to hold anything even with maximum strength garrison dug in to level 4 trenches.
Attachments
order.jpg
order.jpg (117.13 KiB) Viewed 363 times

Return to “After Action Reports”