Is MaxFB good for player vs CPU? Here is my test.

Maximum-Football 2.0 is the latest and greatest release from the acclaimed sports management video game studio, Wintervalley Software. Bringing a whole host of new features like full Xbox 360 controller support, full DirectX 9.0 utilization, and scores of other upgrades and improvements, Maximum-Football 2.0 delivers on gameplay and fun like a bullet pass through double coverage. Like its predecessor, Maximum-Football 2.0 allows players to experience the thrill of managing a team in any league!

Moderator: David Winter

garysorrell

Is MaxFB good for player vs CPU? Here is my test.

Post by garysorrell »

Im going to run a team thru a 10 week season. Hack playbooks, default US rules.
I run Boston, AI runs the other 6 teams.

After week 1, I guess im not looking too smart.
garysorrell said:
I would say that my biggest disappointment with the game would be the fact that I generally cant lose. Some of the user made playbooks help, but for the most part, me coaching vs the ai is no fun.

Here is a little site I will use to track my teams progress
http://www.geocities.com/gary_l_sorrell/misc/PFL.html
garysorrell

RE: Is MaxFB good for player vs CPU? Here is my test.

Post by garysorrell »

I will likely tweak the simdata file to get the simmed games closer to played games, but that isnt necessarily the point of the exercise.

I have to say, this was darn fun and it was what a football game should be like. Boston and Chicago threw a few punches, and Chicago landed a couple solid rights and by the end of the game, they had done just enough to get the knockout. At no time during this game did I feel like Chicago got predictable. And by the end of the game, I had that "Crap, too late to make a comeback" feeling. Although I hadnt moved the ball well enough to make one anyway. Although I did run the ball well.

Great job Hack with Coach Goode!
hack153

Post by hack153 »

Thanks.  More playbooks should be coming.  I got a seventh wind. Plus, I am editing the run blocking to be more effective (thanks to dreamtheatervt).
UPFL is in the off season...
United Premier Football League
dreamtheatervt

Post by dreamtheatervt »

Great, now I have to up the ante again [:D]

If you have any further questions about what I do, feel free to ask Hack.  I'm not going to patent my plays.
redwolf1

Post by redwolf1 »

Watching, watching, watching...no offense Gary, but I hope you get your a$$ kicked...[;)]

Looking forward to more playbooks, Hack! [8D] Indeed, I don't recall a Hack playbook team ever losing to a stock playbook team cpu vs. cpu in my experience to date. [X(]

BigSmooth

Post by BigSmooth »

After week 1, I guess im not looking too smart.

Just be thankful you are not working for Al Davis. 
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

I would gladly work for Al, long enough to stash some money away before I get canned.

I agree with you redwolf1, I hope I get hammered also.
I will play week 2 sometime tonite.
Chicago played a good game. Made plays when they had to, and kept me in check.

OB Potter

Post by OB Potter »

Are you gentlemen recommending using Hacks v. 3 playbooks exclusively?
And are you still using the Constants file that comes with the game or some other version?
thanks,
OB
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

Well, I lost again. Week 2 I go down to defeat 24-14.
I would recommend Hacks playbooks.

Another good game, that looked and played like football should. We kept it respectable for nearly 3 quarters before Denver mounted a drive I couldnt stop, and scored. Then they sealed it in the 4th.

Coach Miller used a lot of 4wide 1back stuff. I had no answer for it. I'm definately having no luck with turnovers. Another lost fumble and a pick.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

We got a late 'freebie' TD but it wasnt near enough.

What was the freebie TD?
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

I refer to that TD a team scores late, when it makes no difference in the final result. Like when the Patriots scored against the Bears in their super bowl after the 85 season. Nothing but a stat.

quixian

Post by quixian »

ORIGINAL: redwolf1

Watching, watching, watching...no offense Gary, but I hope you get your a$$ kicked...[;)]

Co-signed!

The recent playbooks by Hack and DTVT, with some minor constants tweaking to the FG kicking range / accuracy and base.dat range tweaks for a faster draft pool of RBs have seemed to make a huge difference in how competitve the CPU is in my personal tweaking experience. Hope to see continued results in line with the first two [;)]
DAWUSS

Post by DAWUSS »

ORIGINAL: garysorrell

I refer to that TD a team scores late, when it makes no difference in the final result. Like when the Patriots scored against the Bears in their super bowl after the 85 season. Nothing but a stat.

Garbage time, in other words.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

All right, garbage time it is.

When I think of a freebie, I think of a special teams TD or a fumble by the other team on their own five yard line.

Of course, in that case, Brad Childress would play for the field goal, but that is another story.
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

I've always called it a freebie, i've heard it referred to also by others including commentators as freebies, garbage, sympathy, so I like freebie. And in the world of the PFL, I am a button click away from erasing their existence...so they comply [&o]
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

[:@][:@][:@]
Lose again. Heads will roll soon.
That being said, it was fun coaching against Coach Wilson. Lots of runningbacks, and a QB with balls. New Yorks quarterback, Branscom, ran for big yards and threw effectively when he had to. Early on, I thought for sure I would be able to adjust, take away the QBs ability to run, force him to throw, and maybe pull off my first win. Well, so much for my big plans. No matter the defense, somebody for New York made a play and got it done. On my end, I ran the ball ok, but cant get it going thru the air.

This is a fun playbook, Hack. When I saw the QB take off on his own a couple times, I thought I would be able to stop that, and take advantage of the playbook wanting to call those type plays. But, didnt happen. Even on the occasion when I stopped Branscom, they would just throw it or give it to a back and he got the yards.
Whether intentional or not, this playbook has kind of a tricky, or gadgety feel....which is good. Not knowing when Branscom was going to throw/handoff/or take it himself, made defending these formations tough. Very deceptive offense, and it showed. I would fire my defensive coordinator, but it's me so I cant[8D]

Tullius

Post by Tullius »

Lose again. Heads will roll soon.

Nice to see that AI can be very strong.
hack153

Post by hack153 »

Is it the AI or is your QB just that bad? 
UPFL is in the off season...
United Premier Football League
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

He may be, hard to say. I havent really paid a lot of attention to the ratings of my team vs the others. I basically drafted, set the depth, and started playing. It's friday night, so I will look into it later. I know there dont seem to be any good FAs. But I only checked RB.
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

As the fellas on Hee Haw used to sing, "If it werent for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all"...gloom despair.

I find out my backup QB Kasson is a gunslinger. We score TDs and had a good lead, then he goes down to injury for 2 games and it all comes apart. Sigh. This was the first game that I felt like I was going to win.

Really though, im not sure I would have won. Coach Jones has a good run game, and I didnt do much to stop it. It would have likely been a back and forth shootout. Which would have been refreshing compared to my previous games. I do like Coach Jones as a playbook. A yardage machine.

On to week 5 and Oakland coming to Beantown.

Return to “Maximum-Football 2.0”