Jack Linebacker - Indoor Rules

Discussion of the rules of football and how they pertain to the game.

Moderator: David Winter

Brockleigh

Jack Linebacker - Indoor Rules

Post by Brockleigh »

Is a Jack Linebacker in Indoor Football defined by position, by jersey number, or does he declare his position to the officials? Or does one linebacker just have to inhabit the box?

Reason being is that I'd like to create a formation where the linebackers line up on either edge of the defensive line, and have one blitz or drop into coverage and the other drop into the box. Would this be legal, or does the jack linebacker need to be in the box at the start of play?
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum.

mbsports

RE: Jack Linebacker - Indoor Rules

Post by mbsports »

Lets see what we got here
Two defenders serve as linebackers, called the mac and the jack. The mac may blitz from the side of the line opposite the offensive tight end. The jack's role has changed after new rules set in place by the league in 2008. The jack cannot blitz, but under new, more defense-friendly rules, the jack linebacker may roam sideline to sideline within five yards of the line of scrimmage and drop into coverage once the quarterback pump-fakes. (Before this rule, the jack could not drop back into coverage until the ball is thrown or the quarterback is no longer in the pocket, and the jack had to stay within the box designated by the outside shoulders of the offensive line, the line of scrimmage, and 5 yards back from the line of scrimmage.)

I do believe that both have to start in the box - but you can't quote me on that - I'm not very smart... so far as how you designate which is which that is something I have no idea on but I would suggest asking at www.arenafan.com
MBFL - MB Sports Net - Simulated NFL, AFL, CFL, NFL-E
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

Is a Jack Linebacker in Indoor Football defined by position, by jersey number, or does he declare his position to the officials?

As I recall, the tight end raises his hand prior to the play. The jack linebacker plays his side.

Marauders

Post by Marauders »

Reason being is that I'd like to create a formation where the linebackers line up on either edge of the defensive line, and have one blitz or drop into coverage and the other drop into the box. Would this be legal, or does the jack linebacker need to be in the box at the start of play?

In the AFL, the Mack can blitz, but he must do so in the linemen gaps.  He may not blitz outside the offensive tackles.

The Jack must stay in the box (get it?).  In the past, the box meant within the five yard line and between the tackles.  In 2008, that box is now still only five yards deep, but it is the entire width of the field, as mbsports stated.

Magnum357

Post by Magnum357 »

Maruader and mbsport pretty much got the basic concept of the MAC and JACK Linebackers in Indoor Football.  Both have to start in the box before the snap.  I like the new rules for the Jack Linebacker as it does give the Defense more options to defend.  But I wish they would allow the JACK Linebacker to drop into coverage too, to help defend against medium and deep passes.
mbsports

Post by mbsports »

Agree Magnum - is there a good playbook for Arena style ball?  I'd like to kick up an Arena league one of these days.

MBFL - MB Sports Net - Simulated NFL, AFL, CFL, NFL-E
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

Both have to start in the box before the snap.  I like the new rules for the Jack Linebacker as it does give the Defense more options to defend.  But I wish they would allow the JACK Linebacker to drop into coverage too, to help defend against medium and deep passes.

Some AFL teams are now running short zones with the Jack.  Perhaps the AFL doesn't want an extra DB type player in there to double deep.

By the way, for those community members that don't watch much indoor football, the spelling Mac and Mack are both used.  I'm not sure why it is that way though, because Jack is just Jack.

Magnum357

Post by Magnum357 »

I look at the Mac(k) and Jack names as specific position names in Arena/Indoor football, I'm not even sure if they are offical.  You might be right about why the AFL doens't allow the jack to drop into Medium/Deep coverage.  That would allow double teaming, but again, this could be useful for Defensive puposes and it would be risky.  If a defense does that, the QB has more holes to scramble with and it might even open up a bit more running and short passes for the Fullback. 

But even if the Jack Linebacker was allowed to do this, it still would make double teaming difficult.  He still has to be in the box before the snap.

Return to “Rules”