Possible AAR

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

pjwheeling

Possible AAR

Post by pjwheeling »

Gil,

As you know I am fairly new to FOF and this forum. I have been especially intrigued by the various AAR's that people have done, especially Grey Hunter's "News From the Front." His AAR inspired me to begin working on one of my own that is somewhat unique from the ones I have seen on this forum. I have set it up as a newspaper located in Richmond,Va., the Capital of the Confederacy (I'm from Lynchburg, Va. by the way) beginning in April 1861. It is sort of a "Guns of the South" style AAR, meaning it will begin very historical with many articles taken from newspaper that truly existed in Richmond during the war, but will then veer off into the ahistorical due to the strategies I will choose to take in FOF. I'm not sure how much interest there will be, however, because it will not have a FOF flavor, but will read more like a newspaper of the day. I do plan, however, to include some FOF stats similar to what Grey Hunter did on "News From the Front", but only as an additional attachment so that readers will get an idea of how FOF "made history." I am beginning with the November start, playing as the Confederacy. The newspaper, however, begins in April, so FOF will not play a part in history until November. The reader will see my strategies begin to become ahistorical as early as June 1861 as I work in my planned strategies for FOF. So there won't be any FOF included at the beginning and then only in a subtle way as the AAR moves on. So, is this project appropriate for this forum? If you want to see the PDF for early April 1861 I can send it to you by email or whatever.

Patrick
I cannot help but think that great results would have been obtained had my views been thought better of; yet I am much inclined to accept the present condition as for the best.

General James Longstreet
Gil R.

RE: Possible AAR

Post by Gil R. »

Sounds interesting, and perfectly appropriate. I'd say go for it.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Ok, Great. I've never sent a file on a forum before so I will need some coaching. What do I do?

Patrick
I cannot help but think that great results would have been obtained had my views been thought better of; yet I am much inclined to accept the present condition as for the best.

General James Longstreet
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Oh, I didn't realize that you're trying to post a .pdf -- I thought that was just an offer to send me a sampling in .pdf format. I'm not sure that the Matrix forum accepts .pdf files -- I think that Grey Hunter did all of his as JPEG's (which need to be less than 200KB).

You can try to post a .pdf, but if it doesn't work you'll have to figure out how to turn the text into a JPEG. If you can't figure it out, perhaps post a question in the part of the main forum dedicated to tech support by gamers for gamers, or message Grey Hunter.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Thanks. I will try to save it as a JPEG when I get off from work and see what happens.

Patrick

General James Longstreet
Dennistoun

Post by Dennistoun »

Looking forward to it PJ. I've just started to learn this game after leaving it on the shelf for @ 8 months. I've just read 90 odd pages of the Basic Game rules section of the manual and reckon I'm ready to play the game against the AI. I have looked at a couple of AARs and appreciate the effort that has gone into them - so thanks in advance.
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Ok. I've run into a road block. I hope it is not major. I saved the file as a JPG, but the file is too large to be attached. I am not really a computer guru. Is there a way to compress the file or is there another file type that would compress it more than by JPG?

Patrick

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Ok. I hope this works. As you can see, this is a Richmond newspaper beginning in April 1861 just after the surrender of Ft. Sumter. I am using actual newspaper columns whenever possible and have cited the sources. I plan to use more actual Richmond clippings on future issues. Richmond must have been one of the most exciting, yet frightening place to live in that day. As you can see, FOF cannot be found at this point, but as I stated above I will begin to weave in my own personal strategies (or lack thereof, I'm still pretty new to the game) in future issues which which make for ahistorical data. I will begin to use the results from FOF as I get to November 1861. At that time I will display some FOF stats as a seperate attachment.
Right now it's more of a Civil War history than FOF at this point.
Hope you enjoy. I had to compress and shrink to make it fit. It's not quite as clear as I would like but perhaps that makes it look more authentic.

Patrick

Attachments
Confederate11.jpg
Confederate11.jpg (197.71 KiB) Viewed 98 times

General James Longstreet
pjwheeling

Post by pjwheeling »

Wow, the silence is deafening. I guess I should have mentioned that I was not a Journalism major is school. I'm just a Printing Press operator having fun with a hobby.
Maybe more quotes and less of my own writing will help. I'll try to do better with the next issue. [8|]

Patrick

General James Longstreet
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Judging from the number of hits on the recent AAR's, it looks like there are roughly 100 people who either routinely follow them or check in on occasion, so I think you'll definitely have an audience. But you should start a new thread in that sub-forum, providing a link in this thread.

So, I'd say go for it.
Dennistoun

Post by Dennistoun »

ORIGINAL: pjwheeling

Ok. I hope this works. As you can see, this is a Richmond newspaper beginning in April 1861 just after the surrender of Ft. Sumter. I am using actual newspaper columns whenever possible and have cited the sources. I plan to use more actual Richmond clippings on future issues. Richmond must have been one of the most exciting, yet frightening place to live in that day. As you can see, FOF cannot be found at this point, but as I stated above I will begin to weave in my own personal strategies (or lack thereof, I'm still pretty new to the game) in future issues which which make for ahistorical data. I will begin to use the results from FOF as I get to November 1861. At that time I will display some FOF stats as a seperate attachment.
Right now it's more of a Civil War history than FOF at this point.
Hope you enjoy. I had to compress and shrink to make it fit. It's not quite as clear as I would like but perhaps that makes it look more authentic.

Patrick

Looks real good, PJ! Keep 'em coming!

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”