1.04.04 Public Beta Avalible!!

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Greg Wilcox

1.04.04 Public Beta Avalible!!

Post by Greg Wilcox »

We've uploaded the Beta version of the 1.04.04 Comprehensive Update available to our Members Club. While we do final testing we figured we'd offer you a change to get it early as well. This is still a beta, but it's stable and solid as far as we can tell. See the change list list below for details.

You can download this as a Registered Download as long as you have registered your Empire in Arms serial number in our Members Club (click on the MEMBERS link in the top nav bar).

Change List:
o Standard Fixes
Fixed: Relieving a siege leaves the corps stuck
Fixed: Can not attack port
Fixed: Turkish Manpower does not include Conquered
Fixed: Seazone border not visible
Fixed: Free State cannot build
Fixed: Supply bug: allowing supply from depot when enemy corps in intervening province.
Fixed: Freikorps units being placed on map with 0 factors
Fixed: Nelson tries to reinforce land battle
Fixed: France not receiving American Trade $
Fixed: Polis Manpower not provided
Fixed: In a battle in Khotin, there's supposed to be a river combat; which doesn’t happen
Fixed: Swedish fleet leaves blockaded Stockholm unmolested
Fixed: France combat vs Russia, calls reinforcements and can select Austrian Corp
Fixed: DOW Bug
Fixed: Minor drops War when politically recombined
Fixed: Leader captured when the corps he is attached to is eliminated
Fixed: Depot in besieged port is in the rural zone, thus out of supply
Fixed: Area info box is not showing all counters/leaders
Fixed: MP being forced to break an alliance for an informal peace attempt that did not succeed
Fixed: PBEM games are simply enabling ALL alliances where boxes are checked
Fixed: Game doesn't correctly transfer minors lost to instability to occupying nation
Fixed: PP tally is visible in the middle of the Diplomacy phase
Fixed: Backups in land combat phase loses battles
Fixed: Movement tracking jumpy
Fixed: Manual Forage Random Number Generator
Fixed: Can't pick up corps counter with blockaded fleet
Fixed: Building depots in neutral minors is possible, but against the rules.
Fixed: Enemy free state corps not attackable
Fixed: Problem with blockading neutral ports containing enemy fleets
Fixed: Siege bug with ottoman corps
Fixed: Loaned corps not allowed to move into an original MPs freestate
Fixed: Sweden income not being calculated correctly
Fixed: The log incorrectly shows a +1pp gain when a minor ally is called
Fixed: You can disembark to an adjacent area from fleet with corps sailed into a friendly port.
Fixed: Econ & dip phase weirdness with bankrupt major power and negative money
Fixed: Minor conquest of Minor
Fixed: Double click to get the Ally Request screen is not working properly.
Fixed: Strange repatriations
Fixed: Getting kicked out of ceded home provinces
Fixed: Depot is removed automatically at the end of temporary access
Fixed: Confederation of Rhine troops vaporize besieged garrisons
Fixed: Sieges are being relieved even when relieving force does not win the field combat
Fixed: Fleet attempts intercept despite being told to intercept only weaker force
Fixed: France in danger of Eminent Collapse
Fixed: No enemy besieging corps is attackable
Fixed: Forces returned to an unowned area
o AI Fixes and Enhancements
Fixed: Prussia not supporting Austria against France
Fixed: Austria attacking Venice (its own navy)
Fixed: AI fails to use manpower in Spanish PBEM economic phase
Fixed: AI cheating. Moving Naval units After Combat Phase before Diplomacy Phase
Fixed: General naval fecklessness
Fixed: Still leaving some forces unblockaded even when they outnumber the opposing navy!
Fixed: AI Aus makes a very unintelligent attack
Fixed: AI MPs underestimating army strength
Fixed: Russia will not attack empty Finland
Fixed: AI Britain forgets to retain London depot on second amphibious strike
Fixed: Britain gets paralyzed when its fleets and corps are not stacked together
Fixed: AI sometimes is allowed to place a depot in a port that was just taken.
Fixed: France AI marches Napoleon into battle with 1 guards corps
o Enhancements
Refined the alliance selection process
Now allowed to remove depot with garrison
Change save game name convention to game_name + player .sav
Greg Wilcox
Production Assistant
Jimmer

RE: 1.04.04 Public Beta Avalible!!

Post by Jimmer »

Marshall, I have a question:

I'm in two games currently. One is the long-running CleverDevils game. That one is going to require that I upgrade to 1.04 in order to continue.

However, the other one is a tutorial game, and one player there is obligated (by his other games) to not run anything except released updates.

So, what happens with two people playing the same game, but using different versions? Before I upgrade, I want to make sure I'm not going to clobber one of his other games.

NOTE: I'm the host in the tutorial game, which could make a difference in your answer.

Thanks.
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
DCWhitworth

Post by DCWhitworth »

Matrix have strongly advised that all players in a PBEM game should be running the same version of the game.

Regards
David
fvianello

Post by fvianello »

Yes, never ever play 2 PBEM games using different versions.
H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

Marshall, I have a question:

I'm in two games currently. One is the long-running CleverDevils game. That one is going to require that I upgrade to 1.04 in order to continue.

However, the other one is a tutorial game, and one player there is obligated (by his other games) to not run anything except released updates.

So, what happens with two people playing the same game, but using different versions? Before I upgrade, I want to make sure I'm not going to clobber one of his other games.

NOTE: I'm the host in the tutorial game, which could make a difference in your answer.

Thanks.

I don't think you will clober the game BUT the 1.04 players will have a little advantage over the players that are running an older version simply because they have a newer better version.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

Well, I'm not particularly worried about Prussia having an advantage: This is the tutorial game, so not that much can happen.

DCWhitworth said that Matrix has strongly advised that everybody have the same version. Can someone point that out to me (in a relatively recent context, that is).

I'm in a Catch-22 situation. I've got one game where I MUST upgrade to continue, and I've got one game where I CAN'T upgrade without upsetting other players (and possibly doing "something" to the game).

Can you give me some specifics, Marshall (and DC)? I need a bit more to go on.
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

I'm in a Catch-22 situation. I've got one game where I MUST upgrade to continue, and I've got one game where I CAN'T upgrade without upsetting other players (and possibly doing "something" to the game).

Can you give me some specifics, Marshall (and DC)? I need a bit more to go on.

I am also in this exact situation.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

With ANY software, it is always better for everyone to be using the same version. It would be difficult if not impossble to list what problems can come up if people use different versions. Nor would it be worth the resources to track down. This is why it is better for either everybody to upgrade or nobody upgrades.

At least this has been my experiance with software over the last 25+ years.

Good luck!
Flipper
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

So, in other words, only play one game at a time?
NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

Right. I would totally lose interest and would stop playing EiANW altogether. Even playing 4 games, I probably only spend 10-20 minutes a week on this game.
eske

Post by eske »

I have seen mentioned somewhere, that someone had two different versions installed on the same computer.
That would of course be in conflict with the license agreement of this program, but would only take place, untill all games were upgraded and using the same version again. Naturally not something Matrix could or would suggest...

/eske
Alea iacta est
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

That is one choice you could make.

It is only only if people start running different versions of a program is it possible for unexpected and/or unexplainable things to start happening. This does not mean things will happen if they do so, it just opens the door so to speak.

This is a non-issue if everybody is on the same version.

Perhaps seperate installs would be a solution?

Flipper
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: eske

I have seen mentioned somewhere, that someone had two different versions installed on the same computer.
That would of course be in conflict with the license agreement of this program, but would only take place, untill all games were upgraded and using the same version again. Naturally not something Matrix could or would suggest...

/eske

I was not aware that was in conflict with license agreement. If you are right about that then another solution must be found.
Flipper
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish
It is only only if people start running different versions of a program is it possible for unexpected and/or unexplainable things to start happening. This does not mean things will happen if they do so, it just opens the door so to speak.

Better leave off the word "only", since the current situation is both unexpected and unexplainable. Plus, the "fix" (for the current turn) was to have Marshall save the game on his 1.04 (beta) copy of the game, and then send it back to us.

So, this kind of argues against what you are saying.

Separate installs are not an option: The license agreement specifies that we can "use one copy of the software".
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

Better leave off the word "only", since the current situation is both unexpected and unexplainable. Plus, the "fix" (for the current turn) was to have Marshall save the game on his 1.04 (beta) copy of the game, and then send it back to us.

So, this kind of argues against what you are saying.

Separate installs are not an option: The license agreement specifies that we can "use one copy of the software".

"Only" can't be left out. Because I have seen unexpected/unexplainable problems crop up in games, network applications and networks themselves ONLY because all software versions were not the exact same. And yes, even then unexpected/unexplained problems can come up. But then, at least you know it isn't a software compatibility causing the issue, and that assists in trouble-shooting and correcting the issue.
Flipper
RayKinStL

Post by RayKinStL »

Just another reason to have my copy loaded on multiple machines that I own.  That way I can play my PBEM games, but can still have fun with the AI by taking advantage of the newest releases with AI upgrades.
DCWhitworth

Post by DCWhitworth »

One problem with installing two versions is that they are not completely seperate, they will be sharing the registry entries I believe. These include entries for 'install path' and 'version' which will be correct for only one game. What effect this may have I don't know.

One method I have heard that has been used is to deinstall the program and reinstall it with the patch version you need. then when you want to play a game with a different version, deinstall and reinstall with the new version of the patch. It's a drag but should work correctly and be safe *and* legal.
Regards
David
iamspamus

Post by iamspamus »

Put on flame retardant suit.
Adjust googles.
Check gloves.
Go.

And then we wouldn't have to hear your complaining. What's the downside...? [:D]

Really just kidding.
Jason

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

Right. I would totally lose interest and would stop playing EiANW altogether. Even playing 4 games, I probably only spend 10-20 minutes a week on this game.
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

ORIGINAL: DCWhitworth

One problem with installing two versions is that they are not completely seperate, they will be sharing the registry entries I believe. These include entries for 'install path' and 'version' which will be correct for only one game. What effect this may have I don't know.

One method I have heard that has been used is to deinstall the program and reinstall it with the patch version you need. then when you want to play a game with a different version, deinstall and reinstall with the new version of the patch. It's a drag but should work correctly and be safe *and* legal.

I'm not sure either??? I have not tried this.
You should not have to uninstall then install the patch though, at least there was never an intent that this be done.
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”