Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

marcbarker

Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement

Post by marcbarker »

I had asked for a rev list of files that changed. Refer to thread that I will post. This is his final response

Always a good reason to keep a separate install of your "modded" game, as your files will always be overwritten in an update.

Of course, you altering files is against your user agreement.

Jason Petho
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re
marcbarker

RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement

Post by marcbarker »

here is the thread and post it was taken from

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1914711&mpage=1&#1914912
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

Are you going to post this statement to other users that are modifying files? if not you have singled me out....Is it because I expressed my concerns on this produc, is it because I have asked reasonable requests...or what is it...you condone user modification with others but to me you say I am in Violation of EULA? You currently are responsible for the updates and modifying of files...this is correct? If I modify the files I am in default...correct? I need a very specific response to my case and concern that may effect others on their modifying...such as PG3D meets JTCS...this is a very cool mod and greatly appreciated but is this more in violation of the EULA? What about the fancy graphics that I have seen in posts....there is specific instructions to overwrite Matrix Files, is this condoned or against the EULA?
So if the HAMMER is laid down it needs to be laid down to all not just one person?
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Keeping a backup of any modded files and/or a separate install of modded files is simply good advice. Modding is not against the license agreement, as long as you don't sell the mods. We have no objection to modders or modding and in fact encourage modding on all our games.

If you want to find out what files changed in an update, just install the update to an empty folder and you'll see an installation of just the updated files.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

Thank you sir, I do appriciate your quick response and time. Thanks again for clarification
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

If you want please delete this posting if you wish
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Keeping a backup of any modded files and/or a separate install of modded files is simply good advice. Modding is not against the license agreement,

Just a bit of history as to where the comment originated from:

fb.asp?m=1890484

Jason Petho
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Keeping a backup of any modded files and/or a separate install of modded files is simply good advice. Modding is not against the license agreement,

Just a bit of history as to where the comment originated from:

fb.asp?m=1890484

Jason Petho

That's a lot of history.

At some point just agree to disagree (on what I am not sure exactly, as many issues are based upon assumptions which are not close to being apples-to-apples which has caused problems) and move on. Too much work for something that should be fun.
Flipper
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: barker

If you want please delete this posting if you wish

Wouldn't it be easier to to just replace the "ing" with "er". [8|]
My favorite General Dynamics product is the Barker Drone. [;)]

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

Simovitch has a thread in the General Discussion that is worth a look.  Perhaps he'll share his find here as well.

big dawg

Post by big dawg »

Are you going to post this statement to other users that are modifying files? if not you have singled me out....Is it because I expressed my concerns on this produc, is it because I have asked reasonable requests...or what is it...you condone user modification with others but to me you say I am in Violation of EULA? You currently are responsible for the updates and modifying of files...this is correct? If I modify the files I am in default...correct? I need a very specific response to my case and concern that may effect others on their modifying...such as PG3D meets JTCS...this is a very cool mod and greatly appreciated but is this more in violation of the EULA? What about the fancy graphics that I have seen in posts....there is specific instructions to overwrite Matrix Files, is this condoned or against the EULA?
So if the HAMMER is laid down it needs to be laid down to all not just one person?

Barker,

Dude, just chill !!

Your whining and *itching all the time is bringing me down.

Be more positive & not such a drag.

marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

You know I have several Matrix titles, and requested help in other areas of this board and recieved great help and guidance. This support was greatly appreciated and sought after. I recieved great help from the developers of other games that Matrix Offers and that was a huge help. Here it is a bit touch and go. You tick off someone because of your opinions on how they run certain aspects and you get villified. I complaoned of the process and procedures as to how to get things fixed. I asked for official Matrix Support. I applaud like I said before the numerous advances free programming accelerated this game in the gaming community. Again note the word FREE....You do do get what you pay for. The reason Matrix is keeping this title open is because they do not have to pay anyone to do the work and take none of the responsibility. Low cost production but high cost for the games. I don't mind a good laugh at my expense and a better one at my mistakes, but and I want to make this very clear....I play my JTCS on XP because of the issues with vista. I have a state of the art gaming machine and can't play this game on it. So do you not think that when a company states that a product is compatible it should be. Do you remember the old 100% IBM compatible stickers on games? That was an issue then. That gave the consumer a huge confidence in what they were buying. I am not torqued with Jason, just at how the processes are to get anything accomplised.

Thanks for all the deragatory comments and please sir may I have more

lol
Marc
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
Terl

Post by Terl »

You know I have several Matrix titles, and requested help in other areas of this board and recieved great help and guidance. This support was greatly appreciated and sought after. I recieved great help from the developers of other games that Matrix Offers and that was a huge help. Here it is a bit touch and go. You tick off someone because of your opinions on how they run certain aspects and you get villified. I complaoned of the process and procedures as to how to get things fixed. I asked for official Matrix Support. I applaud like I said before the numerous advances free programming accelerated this game in the gaming community. Again note the word FREE....You do do get what you pay for. The reason Matrix is keeping this title open is because they do not have to pay anyone to do the work and take none of the responsibility. Low cost production but high cost for the games. I don't mind a good laugh at my expense and a better one at my mistakes, but and I want to make this very clear....I play my JTCS on XP because of the issues with vista. I have a state of the art gaming machine and can't play this game on it. So do you not think that when a company states that a product is compatible it should be. Do you remember the old 100% IBM compatible stickers on games? That was an issue then. That gave the consumer a huge confidence in what they were buying. I am not torqued with Jason, just at how the processes are to get anything accomplised.

Thanks for all the deragatory comments and please sir may I have more

lol
Marc

My Mom always told me to treat others as you wish to be treated, talk to them the way you wish to be talked to, and just in general act nicely to one another. I think you should hunt around and read some of your many posts (they are easy to find, sometimes there are 4 or 5 in a row) and ask yourself about Karma.... sometimes it does get ya...

As a note, the game does indeed work on Vista, works wonderfully on mine and as I can see on many others. Just because you have issues does not mean the product is not Vista compatible.

I also noticed that Erik did respond to one of your posts but apparently you are too busy to respond to Erik. He asked specifically what the issues were.
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

Note that you have to change your desktop theme and etc. That conflicts of other programs that I run. I found it easier to go ahead and load it on the XP. Like I sad I will wait on the Vista patches so when it comes out of the box you don't have to tweak settings and such. XP by far is a better platform, better compatibility etc.
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
Terl

Post by Terl »

Note that you have to change your desktop theme and etc. That conflicts of other programs that I run. I found it easier to go ahead and load it on the XP. Like I sad I will wait on the Vista patches so when it comes out of the box you don't have to tweak settings and such. XP by far is a better platform, better compatibility etc.

All that complaining is about having to change user settings? Oh geez... [8|]
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

nope vista compatibility...I have a home network of 5 machines, laptops etc...so compatibility is a key issue...my family does like to have gaming tourneies so ......if the vista issues get resolved that is 4 more purchases.....so you see when I buy a title I test them on the Vista and then deploy to the rest. I always buy 4 more copies after the tests are complete. I have 6 kids range fro 10 to 25 so networking is the issue in our family...so it is just not a vista issue
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
Terl

Post by Terl »

But it works on Vista for me and many other folks. So what if you have to tweak a user setting to make it work; that does not mean it is incompatible. Plus, user installed programs could also interfere making this user specific. Your complaint should be to Microsoft it seems to me. I actually think you are upset about gameplay and are just using the "incompatibility" nonsense as a smokescreen. Have at it...
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

I use Maya, Autdesk software, CATIA and other Highend Graphics programs. I tweak something I have to tweak others. It just gets nasty. No problem I'll Just wait. The battleground series works great...I just don't see why this wouldn't. Had to do no tweak after the BG instal, American Conquest, Combat Mission, Blue and Gray, Forge of freedom and some others....could not do the history chan civil war 1st person shooter, bad issues with that one,
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
Terl

Post by Terl »

I use Maya, Autdesk software, CATIA and other Highend Graphics programs. I tweak something I have to tweak others. It just gets nasty. No problem I'll Just wait. The battleground series works great...I just don't see why this wouldn't. Had to do no tweak after the BG instal, American Conquest, Combat Mission, Blue and Gray, Forge of freedom and some others....could not do the history chan civil war 1st person shooter, bad issues with that one,

See, that is the thing, it could be a conflict with anything listed, who knows. But, it does work with Vista. There is a difference between demanding they fix the game for your specific situation and just making it work with Vista. I have a few games at home that need something odd done to make them work correctly, but that is because I have some background stuff that conflicts (I had one, Darkstar One, that I had to shut down the little ATI program that sat in the systray, had others years back that would not work with realplayer in the systray). So I just turn 'em off and move on. A majority of my games run just fine without any tweaks. Bottom line, IMHO, is that it is on me not the developer to fix my configuration issues. Heck it is better than a fleet of boot disks and tweaking autoexec.bat files and such [:)] though that was kinda fun too, especially when the game finally fired up.

Is the Battlegrounds set fun? I have been looking at that, GG: War between the States, Forge of Freedom or even the AGEOD game AACW. I have no Civil War game so I am checking them out.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”