Bombardment and mission speed setting [INTERDIT A MATTHEUS]

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Fishbed

Bombardment and mission speed setting [INTERDIT A MATTHEUS]

Post by Fishbed »

Hey chaps

I'd like to splash my opponent's airfield with vigor. I have a 5/5 heavy US SAG group which is looming around, ready to strike. My problem is that the group is still 8 hex away from the target, and I don't know what is going to happen if I turn the group's mission into bombardment et send it to hell, especially with the "mission speed" and the "full speed" dilemma.

Does anyone here can give me a mathematical answer which will allow me to foresee where my ships will be located tomorrow in the day? Any hope to strike a blow tonight or they'll have to wait?

The point is that I don't want "mission speed" setting to send my group 2 hex away from the target, waiting for the next night... [8|]
Yakface

RE: Bombardment and mission speed setting

Post by Yakface »

OK - if you put it to mission speed it will organise itself for a night bombardment and maximum move away during the following day phase.  So next phase it will move to within 5 hexes (range of one full speed phase) and stay there through the day phase.  The following night (assuming you don't change anything) it will dash in, deliver a bombardment at night and in the day phase move full speed back towards it's home port.

If you put it to full speed then on your next night turn it will move 5 hexes towards the target and same during the day phase to deliver the bombardment in the morning.  With no more moves it will stay in the target hex.
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

Hey Yakface

Are you 100% sure it works like that? I am pretty sure I saw already 5/5 TF do a lot more distance than only 10 hex in a single turn with mission speed... Or did I smoke something illegal?

So I'd better get it a little closer and go in tomorrow I guess?
Yakface

Post by Yakface »

Pretty sure that's weed induced time dilation you've been experiencing.  It may go slightly faster (11 or 12 rather than 10 hexes) depending upon whether the group can do 5/5 at 25 knots or is 5/5 at 29 knots, but it's unreliable.

I would be exaggerating to say I was 100% sure about anything happening the way I plan it in this game.  However it's what the manual says and I have never had a bombardment group act in any way than this.  Worth getting a few more confirmations though.
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

Nope I trust you.
As long as you're not somekind of Japanese spy [;)]

Ok then, but when I have something like 5/2 for the mission speed setting, what does it mean exactly? 2 is the cruising speed, but there's no point in paying attention to it right?
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

You should set cruise speed and move to five hexes from target this turn. Then next turn set Full speed, retirement on, and bombard. That way the ships will move slow to staging and are less likely to get system damage. Then the next night they will move full speed in and then back to home port with no chance of 'mission speed' slowing them down.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
Q-Ball

RE: Bombardment and mission speed setting [INTERDIT A MATTHEUS]

Post by Q-Ball »

You have to be careful about Ops damage to your ships suddenly reducing top speeed though. If you have a ship doing 25 knots, an ops damage point might knock it to 24kts, which reduces speed an entire hex (to 4 from 5). Could be critical. Be aware of the "speed bands", and if you have a ship close to crossing it.

I am more familiar with IJN ships, but for example, the Kongo class can make 6 hexes in a phase, but ONLY if completely undamaged. One Ops damage point reduces speed to 29 kts. (5 hexes, not 6).
VSWG

RE: Bombardment and mission speed setting [INTERDIT A MATTHEUS]

Post by VSWG »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I am more familiar with IJN ships, but for example, the Kongo class can make 6 hexes in a phase, but ONLY if completely undamaged. One Ops damage point reduces speed to 29 kts. (5 hexes, not 6).
With a speed of 29 knots, a TF will move (in ideal circumstances) 5 hexes in both phases of the first day, and 6 hexes in both phases of the next 5 days. See here for details:

http://witp.kodapa.com/index.php?title= ... s#TF_Speed
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Yakface

OK - if you put it to mission speed it will organise itself for a night bombardment and maximum move away during the following day phase.  So next phase it will move to within 5 hexes (range of one full speed phase) and stay there through the day phase.  The following night (assuming you don't change anything) it will dash in, deliver a bombardment at night and in the day phase move full speed back towards it's home port.

If you put it to full speed then on your next night turn it will move 5 hexes towards the target and same during the day phase to deliver the bombardment in the morning.  With no more moves it will stay in the target hex.

Thats how it works for. Using full speed nearly alway results it the TF being either too close before or too close the phase after.
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

Thanks.
(finally I chickened out, got a better target in sight, but thanks [;)] )

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”