Rivers in detailed combat

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

moose1999

Rivers in detailed combat

Post by moose1999 »

Don't think I've ever been able to figure this out:
What good/bad does it do to fight across rivers in detailed combat.
I assume a river will give you protection against charges, but what other modifiers are there?
regards,

Briny
GShock

RE: Rivers in detailed combat

Post by GShock »

Riverine terrain helps defense a lot and it also helps offense if you are attacking and have the pontoneers. Generally i choose this terrain when i am overwhelmed in defense or when i have worse firearms. It's a good choice if you have cavalry too, easier to pick off routing troopers.
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
moose1999

Post by moose1999 »

Hi GShock, - how exactly do you mean it helps defence?
By positive modifiers to counter-fire, for example?
For if riverines just give a general bonus to defence - I assume that the bonus will benefit both parties if they stand right next to each other with a riverine between them... If this is the case, one would have to initiate fire combat with enemy units before they reached the other shore and gained the defense bonus too...

regards,

Briny
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

River penalties in DC is limited to movement costs are they not?

I have never seen a unit cross a river in line and if you set up one hex back you can slaughter the attackers when they try to cross in column.  Digging in parallel to a river is a formidable defensive technique provided your flanks are taken care of.

To breach a river line, take the time required to go around while using artillery to fix and attrit the defenders on your desired axis of advance.

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”