Question about CV's on retirement allowed

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

cantona2

Question about CV's on retirement allowed

Post by cantona2 »

If a carrier is on retirement allowed orders what will happen when it reaces its destination? Will it arrive during the night phase and then retire ala SCTF'? Or will it arrive during the day phase, launch its planes at any available targets and then retire?
Thanks
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Shark7

RE: Question about CV's on retirement allowed

Post by Shark7 »

The best I can tell it arrives in time to launch a morning strike and immediately retires in the afternoon phase.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
VSWG

Post by VSWG »

It will start retiring immediately after reaching its destination. If that is during the night phase, then yes, the carriers will turn around in the night. In that case the carriers won't wait until the AM phase in order to launch planes before retiring.

Think of the destination as a mere way point on the way to the home port.
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Hmm, thanks guys. Now thats a quandry for a move i was pondering in one of my PBEM's. It will take very accurate calculation of number of hexes to ensure that it arrives at its destination hex in the AM phase in order for it to launch then reitre, correct?

VSWG

Post by VSWG »

If your plan relies on your carriers moving a specific amount of hexes in a specific amount of time - change your plan. [;)]
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Thanks  for the advice VSWG, i think you maybe correct its to risky having to ride my luck (again) and leaving them put for one turn as they launch

Cheers for the help

VSWG

Post by VSWG »

Mind you, I'm not saying it can't work. All I'm saying is that whenever I tried something like this, it didn't work.
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

I know what you mean, not had much luck with carrier strikes myself, ask Local Yokel!! [:)]

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

Is it possible for a CV task force to retire after bombing, or do I missunderstand your plan? I always thougt the order of business was move(night) - move (day) - bomb(am) - bomb (pm)

concerning your plan I think it would be enough to send the TF in on patrol/do not retire and they will wait and bomb, but they will not run after the am phase to avoid getting hit in the pm phase, after the pm phase the turn is more or less over for your TF then you will order it to retrat at sunset of that day in the nigth movement pase of the next turn.
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

my idea was travel (night), strike (am), move out of range (pm)

erstad

Post by erstad »

Um, don't forget that both movement phases occur before both air phases.

Strange, but true.
Elessar

Post by Elessar »

It is clear, CV task forces move first, bomb then. The question is, would you want your task force to retire after the am phase? In hostile waters you would not set your TF to port/airfield attack only, there is always the risk of a hostile TF (surface combat or air combat) showing up, am I right? I would really apreciate a answer, I am just a noob.

Most or all of the time, when my TFs were set on primary mission naval attack and secondary mission airfield or port attack, the land attack missions were, I am not sure if it was always, flown in the pm phase. What I would like to know is, does a TF always wait for the pm phase to execute a secondary mission or did I just have a lot of bad die rolls in the am phase???
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

If there are more primary targets, eg more ships to hit, then a second naval attack strike will be launched in the PM phase

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

ORIGINAL: cantona2

If there are more primary targets, eg more ships to hit, then a second naval attack strike will be launched in the PM phase
Certainly it will. Question is: If there are no ships to hit in the am, will the planes on secondary port/airfield attack still wait for the pm phase, as I have seen it, or will they strike in the am phase???
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

I dnt really know. There are many times when carrier air strikes do not fly for a plethora of reasons, especially ground/airfield attacks.

erstad

Post by erstad »

ORIGINAL: Elessar

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Certainly it will. Question is: If there are no ships to hit in the am, will the planes on secondary port/airfield attack still wait for the pm phase, as I have seen it, or will they strike in the am phase???

A secondary attack only occurs in the PM phase.
wneumann

Post by wneumann »

Hmmm.... The subject matter here could be a very likely explanation of how my 1/43 (U.S.) carrier raid on Kwajalein failed.

I was 8-10 hexes out from Kwajalein and thought I had the distance worked out correctly for a two-movement phase run at full speed into a launching point 2-3 hexes from the Kwajalein base hex. What actually happened was that the carrier TF's either (1) came up short of my "worked out" launching point due to "in-flight" refuelling; or (2) actually made the run to the launching point, turned around, and began returning to Pearl on whatever movement they had left. The end result was my carriers were 5-6 hexes or so away from Kwajalein base beyond TBF and SBD-3 attack range - luckily I had 70-80% of my CAP up and Pillager couldn't launch the "kitchen sink" on such short notice. Needless to say I got the hell outta there once the "surprise" part of the surprise attack was gone.

Had it worked it would have been a "sweet" raid, Pearl Harbor (12/7/41) in reverse. Ended up being a non-fatal exercise in trial and error.
mogami

Post by mogami »

Hi, Bear in mind refueling DD's will change number of OP points used as well as launching and recovering search missions during the daylight portion of movement. (AM and PM)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

Hey Mogami!!! Howzit bro? You still in the current LOBT?
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

mogami

Post by mogami »

Hi, I am still where camels out number Harleys

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”