ACW Interest

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

andym

ACW Interest

Post by andym »

Having just got the ACW series it has kindled an interest to find out more about it.It took place about the same time as Gt Britain was at war in the Crimea.The advent of field Photgraphy was put to good use in both Wars.I found some excellent photos.

http://www.archives.gov/research/civil-war/photos/

Amazing to see just what things were like back then. Its also great to be able to put a face to a name and see what the actual lie of the land was.
Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
andym

RE: ACW Interest

Post by andym »

I have just bought the DVD of Gettysburg,is the "prequel",Gods & Generals any good?
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Nice fin...I look forward to looking through these photos. [&o]
Alba gu' brath
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

ORIGINAL: andym

I have just bought the DVD of Gettysburg,is the "prequel",Gods & Generals any good?
Better yet, read the book "The Killer Angels" by Michael Sarah(sp?) on which the movie "Gettysburg" is based. Having read the book first kind of killed my appreciation of the movie.

Both movies are "okay" but I didn't like the acting very much in either. I thought Sheen really stank as Lee. They are basically "TV" movies made for the big screen. And then there are all those fake beards!!![:D] If you like the movie "Gettysburg" then you will probably like "Gods and Generals".

Another good historical novel is "Unto This Hour" by Tom Wicker. It does for the Second Battle of Manassas what "Killer Angels" does for Gettysburg.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
andym

Post by andym »

Ahh yes the fake beards,i must admit they leave somewhat to be desired.Ill have a look for the book once ive seen the film.And i shall spend the princly sum of £3 for the other DVD tomorrow!LOL
Challerain

Post by Challerain »

Michael Shaara's son Jeff actually wrote the prequel and the sequel to The Killer Angels, the first from the beginning of the war to Gettysburg and the second from after Gettysburg to the end of the war.

Jeff has also written similar style books on the Revolution, Mexican war, World War I, and he is currently through the second of a trilogy on WWII.
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

Thanks, Challerain, for some new reading material.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

ORIGINAL: andym

Better yet, read the book "The Killer Angels" by Michael Sarah(sp?) on which the movie "Gettysburg" is based. Having read the book first kind of killed my appreciation of the movie.

Both movies are "okay" but I didn't like the acting very much in either. I thought Sheen really stank as Lee. They are basically "TV" movies made for the big screen. And then there are all those fake beards!!![:D] If you like the movie "Gettysburg" then you will probably like "Gods and Generals".

Another good historical novel is "Unto This Hour" by Tom Wicker. It does for the Second Battle of Manassas what "Killer Angels" does for Gettysburg.

I have to disagree. I think that reading "The Killer Angels" BEFORE watching the movie enhances the viewing greatly. The book gets into the heads of the characters, the movie doesn't do any kind of "internal" reflection by the actors, so if you haven't read the book, you really miss a lot of what is going on.

As for "God's and Generals", it is sad that it was made several years after "Gettysburg" and Jeff Daniels is older and fatter and it just doesn't feel right. In addition, the Battle of Fredricksburg just doesn't have the same impact as Gettysburg. It does grow on you a little if you watch a couple of times, the 1st time put me to sleep.

"Gettysburg", however, is one of my favorite historical movies and I can't share your opinion about bad acting. I thought they were all decent and most had a very strong resemblance to the photographs of the actual historical personages they portrayed. It also has one incredible sound track. After watching the movie you will realize how many times you hear songs from the movie all over the place in documentaries and even advertisements.

Jeff Shaara, unfortunately, is not the writer that his dad was, though it was good that he picked up the project and completed the trilogy after his father's death. I personally rate "The Killer Angels" as one of the greatest historical novels of our time. The 3rd novel in the trilogy is "The Last Full Measure". The trilogy is basically about the life of Joshua Chamberlin who is best known as the commander of the 20th Maine at Little Round Top. He later rose to general rank and commanded a corps. He was wounded multiple times but survived the war to become President of Boudin College and Governor of the State of Maine. He eventually died from complications from old war wounds. Quite a man.

Just my opinion, of course.
Signature? Maybe someday over the rainbow.

Return to “General Discussion”