This is how it all started!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

andym

This is how it all started!

Post by andym »

George the third, proclamation of rebellion

Proclamation of Rebellion
August 23, 1775

A proclamation issued by George III, responding to increasing hostilities in the American colonies.

Whereas many of our subjects in divers parts of our Colonies and Plantations in North America, misled by dangerous and ill designing men, and forgetting the allegiance which they owe to the power that has protected and supported them; after various disorderly acts committed in disturbance of the publick peace, to the obstruction of lawful commerce, and to the oppression of our loyal subjects carrying on the same; have at length proceeded to open and avowed rebellion, by arraying themselves in a hostile manner, to withstand the execution of the law, and traitorously preparing, ordering and levying war against us: And whereas, there is reason to apprehend that such rebellion hath been much promoted and encouraged by the traitorous correspondence, counsels and comfort of divers wicked and desperate persons within this realm: To the end therefore, that none of our subjects may neglect or violate their duty through ignorance thereof, or through any doubt of the protection which the law will afford to their loyalty and zeal, we have thought fit, by and with the advice of our Privy Council, to issue our Royal Proclamation, hereby declaring, that not only all our Officers, civil and military, are obliged to exert their utmost endeavours to suppress such rebellion, and to bring the traitors to justice, but that all our subjects of this Realm, and the dominions thereunto belonging, are bound by law to be aiding and assisting in the suppression of such rebellion, and to disclose and make known all traitorous conspiracies and attempts against us our crown and dignity; and we do accordingly strictly charge and command all our Officers, as well civil as military, and all others our obedient and loyal subjects, to use their utmost endeavours to withstand and suppress such rebellion, and to disclose and make known all treasons and traitorous conspiracies which they shall know to be against us, our crown and dignity; and for that purpose, that they transmit to one of our principal Secretaries of State, or other proper officer, due and full information of all persons who shall be found carrying on correspondence with, or in any manner or degree aiding or abetting the persons now in open arms and rebellion against our Government, within any of our Colonies and Plantations in North America, in order to bring to condign punishment the authors, perpetrators, and abetters of such traitorous designs.

Given at our Court at St. James's the twenty-third day of August, one thousand seven hundred and seventy-five, in the fifteenth year of our reign.

GOD save the KING.
Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
EdinHouston

RE: This is how it all started!

Post by EdinHouston »

They didnt really like sentences in those days, did they. I mean, talk about a run-on sentence! I mean, throw in a period or a paragraph break now and then, what?
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Must have taken a really deep breath before HM started
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

andym

Post by andym »

Being the King he was allowed to do anything,so a few missed punctuation marks can be forgiven i think.[:D][:D]
Carl Myers

Post by Carl Myers »

proclamation of rebellion

So that is what you whosoever is in charge English speakers call the American Counter-Revolution.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Whereas many of our subjects in divers parts of our Colonies and Plantations in North America, misled by dangerous and ill designing men, and forgetting the allegiance which they owe to the power that has protected and supported them

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

August 23, 1775. I wonder how many people don't know there was fighting before the Declaration of Independence was signed?
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

August 23, 1775. I wonder how many people don't know there was fighting before the Declaration of Independence was signed?

Actually most people I have ever talked to about the start of the war were aware that the Declaration of Independence was not the start of the war.

Go back and ask for a refund from your teachers, they failed you.
Flipper
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

And you could say that the war ended in a nice "Coup de Grasse."

If you get that, you get a cookie.

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

And you could say that the war ended in a nice "Coup de Grasse."
The Admiral showed himself capable of applying a half-Nelson.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

Actually most people I have ever talked to about the start of the war were aware that the Declaration of Independence was not the start of the war.

Go back and ask for a refund from your teachers, they failed you.

My teachers did not fail me. I knew there were battles prior to the signing of the Declaration of Independence. What I was wondering was exactly what I wrote: "I wonder how many people don't know there was fighting before the Declaration of Independence was signed?" What with the apparent inability of some teachers to even teach their students to read, it occurred to me they might also have failed in their responsibilities to teach history.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

What I was wondering was exactly what I wrote: "I wonder how many people don't know there was fighting before the Declaration of Independence was signed?" What with the apparent inability of some teachers to even teach their students to read, it occurred to me they might also have failed in their responsibilities to teach history.

I took your statement to mean that the origin of your comment was from your experiance. If they taught you well why wouldn't you think the children after you were taught well?

There will always be a few poor teachers, but most of them are very hard working people.
Flipper
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

I teach history at the college level and I will say that high school level studies are a mixed bag. I have students come in who know lots, I have students who, when asked what famous document was signed in 1215 [Yes, I am an idiot] answered "The Declaration of Independence."

Not all of it is about teacher failure though, some of it is student failure. Some Americans don't know where Canada and Mexico are (let alone France, Britain, and Poland). As John Stewart says, "War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."

And good one Paster... [:D]

Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

I teach history at the college level and I will say that high school level studies are a mixed bag. I have students come in who know lots, I have students who, when asked what famous document was signed in 1214 answered "The Declaration of Independence."

Not all of it is about teacher failure though, some of it is student failure. Some Americans don't know where Canada and Mexico are (let alone France, Britain, and Poland). As John Stewart says, "War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."

And good one Paster... [:D]

LMAO those hillbilly Americans,

“Professor “ history telling us his students don’t have a clue when The Declaration of Independence was signed, Collage level you say and your students cant point out Canada , Mexico, France, Britain or Poland …….wow that’s bad !

So is this before or after they leave your classroom ?

Crazy me , but that sounds just like the attitude coming an “educator” that’s part of the problem

but hey ! thanks for clearing it up [;)]
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

ORIGINAL: Sarge
LMAO those hillbilly Americans,

“Professor “ history telling us his students don’t have a clue when The Declaration of Independence was signed, Collage[EDIT Spelling: College] level you say and your students cant[Edit: Add ' after n] point out Canada , Mexico, France, Britain or Poland …….wow that’s bad !

So is this before or after they leave your classroom ?

Crazy me , but that sounds just like the attitude coming an “educator” [EDIT: Garbled, unintelligible] that’s part of the problem

but hey ! thanks for clearing it up [;)]

I'm not sure what you meant by this post, but this "hillbilly American" corrected some of the errors. [:'(]

1. I teach medieval and early modern to modern European history - so we were talking about the Magna Carta and they said "Declaration of Independence."

2. This is upon entry to my class. You better believe that on EVERY final exam I give there is a multiple choice question that says - The American Declaration of Independence was signed in?" With choices that include 1776. Also, my students read the Declaration of Independence and the French Revolution's Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen, and are expected to compare them. Side note: BTW, I highly suggest everyone do this, it is fascinating to see the similarities and differences between the two documents - both are online. If you are familiar with Locke, Rousseau, and Voltaire, you really see how these writers were incorporated into these documents.

3. I give a map test of modern Europe, so the students in my class will know where Poland, Russia, France, etc, are.

So Sarge, why the hate towards me? I was simply saying that the amount of knowledge that my Freshman have upon entering my class is a factor of two things: the quality of their high school teachers and the amount of effort that the student themselves put into High school.

SoM

sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

I have seen numerous studies that give tests to students entering and in college. All of them have had highest scores in the 60's and lowest are disgusting. Now some may take it as a joke or whatever and not answer correctly. The main answer when asked about the test was I don't need to know any of this to make money.

The tests I am talking about are history and geography. These are some of the most incredible lack of knowledge of most of those tested. No one knew who Mussolini or Churchill were. No one knew that Arizona is a state, the ones who had heard of it thought it was a part of Mexico. I could go on and on. I do not believe this is a teacher problem. This is a curriculum problem, and the fact that learning takes second place to being babysitters and all the values that they try to instill in the students. My youngest daughter spent all last year with a child who would scream and thrash about on the floor for a good amount of class time. This child had an aide and removing the child was not an option because he had to be mainstreamed. My youngest son had a child who had an aide and there were only 18 children in his class. This child wandered about the class spitting on people. Finally my son had had enough and said to the child that he would shoot him with his fathers guns ( I have only replicas and no ammo or powder ). You can imagine what trouble he was going to be in. That is untill the rest of the class treated him like a hero and the real story of what was happening in the class finally came out. I was asked about my weaponry and he was suspended for two days, but it could have been much worse.

The one thing that really annoys me, is that in the US now you are not deemed educated unless you have a degree. I went to a public high school and that is as far as I went. By high school papers had to be typed and have no spelling etc. errors. We were given empty maps in grade school of the different continents and had to fill in rivers etc. Both of my older children were never taught geogaphy all through their schooling, I taught them it.

I know I mangle the English language now, but I was proficient in writing thirty odd years ago. Not having to use the skill from then until a few years ago, I know I have forgotten most if not all. I know mostly because my wife should have been an editor.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
andym

Post by andym »

Isnt Mussolini an italian heat rub for aching muscles?
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

With Birth of America 2 now being released and distributed by Matrix, you have a game that illustrates how the complex series of diplomatic and military decisions resulted in the creation of the United States. You guys can talk about it ad infinitum, but here's your chance to play it out. Yeah, I bought the game, so let's see who will take control of North America. BTW, I am an American -- come into our arms. [;)]
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: EdinHouston

They didnt really like sentences in those days, did they. I mean, talk about a run-on sentence! I mean, throw in a period or a paragraph break now and then, what?

The king might be forgiven if one remembers he was not English, and could not speak a word of English.
King George the III was German.

EDIT..(I was taught in college this king was of the house of Hanover even though he was born in London, and was never raised to speak English, but I have found some sites that indicate he was the first of his family to be educated in English. Rather than retract and remove my posting, I leave it to my friends to research, at their option into this matter.[:D])

Splinterhead

Post by Splinterhead »

I thought the Magna Carta was signed in 1215 [&:]

Return to “General Discussion”