Running different scenarios

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and the game editor for WITP.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

admgrraven

Running different scenarios

Post by admgrraven »

Gentlemen,

Is it possible for me to have Big B scenario 192 v1.4 and CHS 157 installed at the same time?
Or do I need to have two different installs to run both?
JeffroK

RE: Running different scenarios

Post by JeffroK »

As long as they use the same map you should be right (Unless you also need different artwork)
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

Art is chrome. The program will run right if you have different ship or plane art. You just have to use the labels and not the pictures.

Ideally you use different installs for different art requirements - but in a pinch (say you don't have enough storage on this machine) - you can live without it - provided the map is the same.

Another issue is pwhex: do they use the same pwhex file? Pwhex is the "real" map of the scenario - in computer terms - art is just to help you relate to it.

Dili

Post by Dili »

You can also rename directories and files to play different scenarios with different pwhex in same game install.
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Bakerman
Gentlemen,

Is it possible for me to have Big B scenario 192 v1.4 and CHS 157 installed at the same time?
Or do I need to have two different installs to run both?
Yes it is possible. I believe the BigB mod is a data tweak (scenario file) on stock, while CHS requires lots of alternate game folders. Andrew Brown has a utility (that comes with CHS) that allows a single installation, but runs a folder and file swap before you play, to set the game folders up for either version (stock or CHS). This does require understanding of which version (stock or CHS) a particular scenario is written for.

Art is somewhat obscure. You got air art and ship art. Air art is 2 big panels. The game engine expects the panels to be of certain size. If you make the panels bigger to add aircraft, program will crash at scenario load. You have to use empty spaces, or dump and replace something.

Ship art is better, and worse. Ship art comes in individual panels. Stock has maybe 550, CHS has maybe 700. If you play CHS with stock ship art, the game will load. However, when you click on a ship that has a graphic >550, the game will crash in the middle of the turn.

This is why Andrew Brown created the setup utility. It swaps the stock and CHS files and folders automatically so you can have a single game installation. Much more info available on the main forum, and at http://www.bur.st/~akbrown/witp.html

People been doing this for years, no worries. Just be careful, and understand whether a scenario is a stock scen or a CHS scen. If ya can’t figure it out, just ask on the main forum. Ciao.

Return to “Scenario Design”