E14 Y Glen

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

m10bob

E14 Y Glen

Post by m10bob »

This from I 25 bombed the U.S. twice in 1942.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/h/1049/65/0
Attachments
65_1.jpg
65_1.jpg (13.43 KiB) Viewed 217 times

FeurerKrieg

RE: E14 Y Glen

Post by FeurerKrieg »

I-25's story was always interesting to me. (As evidenced by my sig.)
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Do tell.

I knew about some subs lobbing some shells at a refinery in Santa Barbara, but did not know about any float planes attacks. Do tell.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Wiki - so don't take it as gospel, but here is a summary:
In June 1942, I-25 was patrolling the coast of Oregon, and shelled Battery Russell, a small coastal army installation within now decommissioned Fort Stevens. Damage was minimal. In fact, the only item of significance destroyed on the fort was a baseball backstop. On September 9, 1942, the crew again deployed the Glen, which dropped incendiary bombs over Oregon forest land, in the first ever time that the continental United States was bombed from the air, known as "The Lookout Air Raid". The goal was to trigger wildfires across the coast, but light winds, wet weather conditions and two quick acting Fire Lookouts kept the fires under control. In fact, had the winds been sufficiently brisk to stoke widespread forest fires, the lightweight Glen would have been unable to fly.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

I vaguely recall reading something similar some years past, so we could consider that to be a primary corroboration. Now if we can get a secondary, I'd say it solid info!
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
Brady

Post by Brady »

Its a prety famious event, the Glen atack on Oregon, I mean.
[center]Image[/center]

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Yea, it certainly happened. I just don't like to quote from Wiki, but didn't feel like finding a more proper source.
BrucePowers

Post by BrucePowers »

If you are careful, you can find useful stuff on Wiki.
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

I love wiki; read it all the time. Wouldn't publish or perform surgery based on a wiki page, but for pretty much all other uses I'd say no problem.

So these things were from inside a submarine?

ADDIT: Okay, I see (I think) except for the I-400 class about which there was that thread a few days ago, all of these submarine-aircraft carriers have a single plane that is attached to the deck, so the sub cannot submerge while the plane is not deployed. Right?
spence

Post by spence »

In the game the GLEN is wasted performing bombing attacks or recon (its real life mission). The GLEN real game purpose is to search the wide open sea for Allied shipping and providing the IJN player with an invaluable strategic overview of the what the Allied Player is doing behind the "front lines".

Never mind that simple d= v x t calculations show that the GLEN could not possibly complete a search exceeding one hex radius around the sub within the two daylight phases (and complete only half of even that in each phase).

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

I love wiki; read it all the time. Wouldn't publish or perform surgery based on a wiki page, but for pretty much all other uses I'd say no problem.

So these things were from inside a submarine?

ADDIT: Okay, I see (I think) except for the I-400 class about which there was that thread a few days ago, all of these submarine-aircraft carriers have a single plane that is attached to the deck, so the sub cannot submerge while the plane is not deployed. Right?

No.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Okay, I see (I think) except for the I-400 class about which there was that thread a few days ago, all of these submarine-aircraft carriers have a single plane that is attached to the deck, so the sub cannot submerge while the plane is not deployed. Right?

The planes are protected so the submarine can submerge.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: Dili
Okay, I see (I think) except for the I-400 class about which there was that thread a few days ago, all of these submarine-aircraft carriers have a single plane that is attached to the deck, so the sub cannot submerge while the plane is not deployed. Right?

The planes are protected so the submarine can submerge.

!?! Really!? What like a big plastic bag over the plane?? Or is the planes just made to be water-tight with plugs over the engine intakes and stuff??

It never ceases to amaze me how much more there is to know about this stuff.
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

The plane is disassembled and placed in a mini-hanger located to the fore of the conning tower. The sub surfaces, the plane is assembled and launched off a rail-catapult.

Planes lands, craned back to the deck, disassembled and placed in the hanger. Sub submerges.

I have a great book on the subject that a friend of mine in the UK found and mailed to me. I have it in storage at the moment, so I don't have the name/author info. But I'll dig it out sometime and post some pics from it.

Dili

Post by Dili »

Anthropoid you can see in blueprint linked below the B1 submarine. In bottom side drawing you can see the line of Glen disassembled inside that bump in front of bridge.

http://rc-sub.com/resources/modelpics/B ... prints.jpg

See pics of a reduced model with opened Can:
http://piquetjm.free.fr/I28/I29/Maquett ... 0I-29.html
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

My father-in-law had just finished training (Navy aircrew -- TBF Avenger Radio Operator/Gunner) and was on leave at home in Oregon when the coast artlllery battery was shelled.  He immediately got orders to go to some small airstrip near Astoria where the Navy was going to send in some planes as a way to hunt for subs.  I guess it was at the now Coast Guard Station there, but I don't know for sure.  Maybe some of you know where it might have been.  He drove his girlfriend's car there from Portland (my eventual mother-in-law), but after a few nights and no planes was sent home.  Someone decided that that the whole thing was a stupid idea, he figured.

BTW, he rotated off the Princeton a week before it was sunk.  That haunted him until the day he died.  He said he didn't understand why he was lucky and a lot of guys he knew weren't.

Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
Taglia

Post by Taglia »

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg
...in the first ever time that the continental United States was bombed from the air, known as "The Lookout Air Raid"...
I tought this man made the first bombing in US
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Taglia

...in the first ever time that the continental United States was bombed from the air, known as "The Lookout Air Raid"...
I tought this man made the first bombing in US

Ahh...you mean the Battle of Los Angeles. Never before have so many fired so much at so little.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

The plane is disassembled and placed in a mini-hanger located to the fore of the conning tower. The sub surfaces, the plane is assembled and launched off a rail-catapult.

Planes lands, craned back to the deck, disassembled and placed in the hanger. Sub submerges.

I have a great book on the subject that a friend of mine in the UK found and mailed to me. I have it in storage at the moment, so I don't have the name/author info. But I'll dig it out sometime and post some pics from it.

THAT is insane! Disassembling an airplane on the tiny little deck of a sub at sea during wartime!
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

THAT is insane! Disassembling an airplane on the tiny little deck of a sub at sea during wartime!

But who have expected it?
That was the point.
The Glen was also used to scout over Australia.

Check out this site:

http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/japrecce/japrecce.htm

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”