Charts and Tables

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

jamespcrowley

Charts and Tables

Post by jamespcrowley »

I'm just starting to get back into FoF after a fairly lengthy lay-off.

The lay off came about because, although I really enjoyed the detailed battles, I couldn't get my head around the basic game struture. This, in part was because of my lack of knowledge of the ACW and partly because I couldn't easily discern the turn sequence. All too often I sat looking at a screen thinking, well, what next? What am I supposed to do now? Is there something I should do but have forgotten? So I just pushed the end-turn button and had another enjoyable but usually pointless detailed battle!

Having now read a lot of ACW related books and articles my knowledge has greatly improved and I want to give FoF another go.

However, I have noticed that a lot of the data in the charts and tables is different in-game, presumably as a result of upgrades (I have patched to 1.10.10).
This is causing some confusion.

I have found some upgraded tables in the members section but they relate to ver 1.9.16 so I presume these are out of date as well.

Since the manual hasn't been upgraded since the games release in 2006, it seems that for new and returning players, the included tables are of little value as quick reference tools and may be downright mis-leading.

What are the chances of upgraded charts and tables being made available, so as to fit the latest version of the game?
Cheers

Jim
jkBluesman

RE: Charts and Tables

Post by jkBluesman »

Did you read the patch-documentation? In know it can be confusing at first glance but with some game experience it is all not as hard as you might think.
"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz
jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley »

Yes, read the patch document and no real problems with that, as such (but see below).

The problem, for me at least, is the fact that some/a lot/most (I can't tell which) of the data in the charts and tables has changed rendering them effectively worthless as quick reference documents.

When the rules for most boardgames are changed to a significant degree, a updated manual or booklet is issued with the latest changes. With most software based games that are updated, all that you get is patch notes; then, more patch notes that often undo some of the previous patch notes.
FoF has had two major upgrades, yet the manual (and the tables within) remain unaltered.

I would contend that this is a major problem for new players or those with little experience with the game, who have to go back and forth between several documents and who are looking up information on charts that clearly don't tally with what is being presented in-game. With a relativlely uncomplicated game with concise rules, that may not be a problem. With a complex game requiring a 250+ page manual, it believe it is.
Cheers

Jim
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I would urge new players not to worry about all the minute details in the charts in the appendices.  Most of that information can be found directly in-game at the time you need it.  When one goes to purchase a weapon, or a development, or an attribute, the relevant statistics should all be displayed on-screen.  New players shouldn't feel as though they have to become masters of 250 pages of information, including every jot and tittle on every chart, before they can approach FOF.... at least I hope not.  When we wrote the manual, we intended the appendices to be only for veteran players, or players who simply wanted to do a little extra digging; such players, I should hope, won't mind too much having to cross reference the 50 pages of appendices with 15 pages of version history.  Again, it is my firm hope that new players won't need to do this sort of chart-gazing in order either to understand or to enjoy playing "Forge of Freedom."

I agree that it would be nice to have updated charts somewhere for those who like the charts.  It is very difficult to update the actual manual itself, by which I mean, expensive, so that is not likely to happen.  There might be a lesser way of updating the charts.  When Gil gets back from Europe, I'll talk to him about the feasibility of all this.
jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley »

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

I agree that it would be nice to have updated charts somewhere for those who like the charts.  It is very difficult to update the actual manual itself, by which I mean, expensive, so that is not likely to happen.  There might be a lesser way of updating the charts.  When Gil gets back from Europe, I'll talk to him about the feasibility of all this.

Hi Eric

Fair point about the expense of an upgrade to the manual, but it would be good to see the charts upgraded.

Will the improvements/additions to the detailed combat in COG:EE port over to FoF in either a patch or in the planned expansion or do they just bring COG to the existing level of FoF?
Cheers

Jim
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Will the improvements/additions to the detailed combat in COG:EE port over to FoF in either a patch or in the planned expansion or do they just bring COG to the existing level of FoF?

One improvement has already been ported over for the upcoming patch. (More on that at a later date.) Other changes would definitely be added if/when we do another FOF-related product.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”