Rising Sun - Suggested Banzai Change (Plz respond Jason)

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

kool_kat

Rising Sun - Suggested Banzai Change (Plz respond Jason)

Post by kool_kat »

Suggestion on revising the Rising Sun Banzai rules (CS version)

Here is what Wikipedia stated about Banzai assaults:

"Early in World War II, Japanese banzai charges had proven effective as an offensive infantry tactic against poorly-trained Chinese soldiers armed mostly with bolt-action rifles and hand-to-hand combat weapons. Against Allied troops armed with semi-automatic rifles and machine guns, the banzai charge proved to be costly, despite having a chance of success, and its use was largely discontinued, except as a final suicidal gesture by surrounded Japanese forces."

So, I agree that the Banzai assault (CS version) is unrealistic, but playing the Japanese, I would like to have the option of utilizing the Banzai assault either in a very restricted manner (ex. 1-2 times per game) or with surrounded Japanese units + leaders. I would also reduce the chances of a "successful" Banzai assault.

IMHO, this would eliminate the unrealistic utilization of the Banzai assault as a regular offensive tactic and instead would restrict its use as "... a final suicidal gesture by surrounded Japanese forces." It would also keep the Allied troops "on guard" against a final, desparate Banzai charge by a surrounded enemy that had a chance of inflicting some casualties and a momentary setback.

It is also difficult to get persons to play RS because of the belief that the current Banzai rules turn the Japanese troops into "supermen" causing unbalance in the scenarios. I know several DYO scenario developers that severely limit the number of Japanese officer units to reduce Banzai assaults in their games.

Anyway these suggested changes could be incorporated into the pending game patch?

What do you folks at Matrix think about this suggestion?

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
Miamieagle

RE: Rising Sun - Suggested Banzai Change (Plz respond Jason)

Post by Miamieagle »

I agree!
kool_kat

RE: Rising Sun - Suggested Banzai Change (Plz respond Jason)

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

'Tis something to add to the wishlist.

Jason Petho

Thanks for your response Jason.

I'll copy and paste it to the "wish list" thread.
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”