interesting Night air attack on allied ships

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Cavalry Corp

interesting Night air attack on allied ships

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Finally got a night air attack
Is flak halved at night ?
This was not good the ave exp was 83 and everything missed , ee worse theywre in the same hex as about 8 allied CV
I have about 6 units on possible night air attack in range

Seems like the ASW attack triggered my attack

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/11/43

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 83,85

Japanese Ships
SS I-21

Allied Ships
SC SC-517

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Air attack on TF at 83,85

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
SS I-21

Allied Ships
SC SC-517
AO Cimarron

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
ASW attack at 83,85

Japanese Ships
SS I-21

Allied Ships
SC SC-517

Interestingly some of the Betties seemed to attack the sub as well

Michael
wild_Willie2

RE: interesting Night air attack on allied ships

Post by wild_Willie2 »

ok, first you NEED to have a sub present in the hex in order to trigger a night attack. That a sub was attacked by that SC was pure coincidence.

High experience units will attack more often at night, but do not expect wonders from such an attack.
Flak is just as bad at night as during the day, your betty's just attacked a replenisment TF which was "lean" on FLAK...

The attack on your own sub is a known replay error (it does not occur irl) that they did not bother with in patches as it doen not influence the game.

Gr.

William

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

OK thanks the unit was ave 83 exp
Is th chance to hit at night the same - seems not but the flak is the same seems impossible as well

Michael
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

Some of the more "rare" game routines are just not wel documented and understood, maybe Flak IS less at night, but there is no easy way to find out....
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
ChickenOfTheSea

Post by ChickenOfTheSea »

Years ago when I was still playing stock, I had the KB bombing Soerabaja and I couldn't touch the CV's due to the uberCAP. In desperation I put the Dutch torpedo bombers on night attack (with lots of patrolling subs in the area) and managed to hit and cripple the Zuikaku (which was later finished off by subs). Unfortunately I have never repeated that success, but I still try it if faced with a high value target, but CAP too much to deal with. Heavy CAP and flak is worse than flak. I also do not have a good idea about the strength of the flak. Your chances of success are very low, but you can at least scare someone into being more cautious this way. The subs you are using for spotting are much more of threat than the night bombing usually.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen
admgrraven

Post by admgrraven »

A good thing to try is putting the PBY's in the Philappeans on night attack first week of the war. You have all those subs parked there and can use them for spotting all the traffic around that part of the ocean.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”