Great Invasions

This classic strategy game designed by Philippe Thibaut allows you to take charge of several of nearly 80 playable nations during the tumultuous and war torn period between 350 and 1066. Success hinges on military might but economic and administrative prudence too. To master Europe and beyond every area of statecraft must be mastered first!
panzers

RE: Great Invasions

Post by panzers »

Well, that is unfortunate because that's what is gonna keep me from buying it.
About the Mongol question though, The game ends when Temujin is conquering Mongolia, so, yeah, it is pre Genghis Khan, but still, you have to have a game from that era. Even though it focuses on the dark ages of Europe, it shouldn't matter because Khan eventually went into parts of Europe, but, whatever. As far as the Mongols being a Barbaric tribe or not is questionable. Yes Temujin was a brilliant Leader with his unique way of his cavalry charge, but thet are tribal in nature, so, technically, they are a very well organized and disciplined barbaric horde by definition even though they were methodical in their conquests. What bothers me, is that this time period is one of the most intriguing periods in history because never in the history of the world were there as many empires as this era. It is the perfect scenerio for wargamming. So why no games. I am very confused about that. Clearly on this forum and others, it has been discussed. So why isn't anyone making any games from this era?
Even if they make a remake of the old koei game and add a little spice to it. Very simple game, but powerful.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

ORIGINAL: panzers

Well, that is unfortunate because that's what is gonna keep me from buying it.
About the Mongol question though, The game ends when Temujin is conquering Mongolia, so, yeah, it is pre Genghis Khan, but still, you have to have a game from that era. Even though it focuses on the dark ages of Europe, it shouldn't matter because Khan eventually went into parts of Europe, but, whatever. As far as the Mongols being a Barbaric tribe or not is questionable. Yes Temujin was a brilliant Leader with his unique way of his cavalry charge, but thet are tribal in nature, so, technically, they are a very well organized and disciplined barbaric horde by definition even though they were methodical in their conquests. What bothers me, is that this time period is one of the most intriguing periods in history because never in the history of the world were there as many empires as this era. It is the perfect scenerio for wargamming. So why no games. I am very confused about that. Clearly on this forum and others, it has been discussed. So why isn't anyone making any games from this era?
Even if they make a remake of the old koei game and add a little spice to it. Very simple game, but powerful.
Crusader Kings starts in 1066. BTW, "Barbarian" is a Roman term, and shouldn't be confused for meaning backward.

Great Invasions is an excellent game, and very unique. It does what no other game I've played yet does: remove the inevitability of the end-game. It isn't possible to grow a nation without causing the problems which lead to that nation's collapse. Playing as multiple nations takes a bit of getting used to, but after a while it becomes natural and is a real piece of genius.

AI leaves a lot to be desired, plus other oddities and a dated UI, but on the whole, especially at the price, it's well worth the effort.
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

The game ends when Temujin is conquering Mongolia, so, yeah, it is pre Genghis Khan, but still, you have to have a game from that era.

Are you sure you don't have this confused with another game? Great Invasions ends in 1066 and Temujin (aka Genghis Khan) was not born until almost 100 years later, around 1162. So, no, this game does not cover the time period you are looking for - but Crusader Kings does.

I reiterate, the game simulates the era of the "Germanic" or "barbarian" invasions that occur at the end of Rome. This period is known, colloquially, as the Dark Ages - due to that dang meddling Petrarch (who thought he was so cool that he knew Greek that he denigrated everyone who lived before him).

And yes, as Hertson said, it is the same type of Real Time as the EU series.

Re: Dinsdale - Barbarian may be a roman term for "Barbars" originally, but it was used pejoratively, even in the Roman era and Medieval Era, to mean backwards and uncivilized peoples (non-Romans, i.e. thus they must not be civilized). The same can be said for the term "rusticus" or rustic - it may mean a person from the country, but it had the pejorative meaning similar to "bumpkin."

End of History Lesson.

The Great Invasions engine uses some special event cards and stuff like that to "spice up" the game and makes use of historical events that are not present in EUIII (but are in EUII and EU). At the low price, here or over at AGEOD, I will probably get it, as it simulates the early part of the time period I study and is like EU.

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
panzers

Post by panzers »

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

The game ends when Temujin is conquering Mongolia, so, yeah, it is pre Genghis Khan, but still, you have to have a game from that era.

Are you sure you don't have this confused with another game? Great Invasions ends in 1066 and Temujin (aka Genghis Khan) was not born until almost 100 years later, around 1162. So, no, this game does not cover the time period you are looking for - but Crusader Kings does.

I reiterate, the game simulates the era of the "Germanic" or "barbarian" invasions that occur at the end of Rome. This period is known, colloquially, as the Dark Ages - due to that dang meddling Petrarch (who thought he was so cool that he knew Greek that he denigrated everyone who lived before him).

And yes, as Hertson said, it is the same type of Real Time as the EU series.

Re: Dinsdale - Barbarian may be a roman term for "Barbars" originally, but it was used pejoratively, even in the Roman era and Medieval Era, to mean backwards and uncivilized peoples (non-Romans, i.e. thus they must not be civilized). The same can be said for the term "rusticus" or rustic - it may mean a person from the country, but it had the pejorative meaning similar to "bumpkin."

End of History Lesson.

The Great Invasions engine uses some special event cards and stuff like that to "spice up" the game and makes use of historical events that are not present in EUIII (but are in EUII and EU). At the low price, here or over at AGEOD, I will probably get it, as it simulates the early part of the time period I study and is like EU.

SoM
OK. Not knowing much about that era, I though that scenerio started in 1066 and went into the 1100's. I guess I was thinking: since it did go into the 1100's, then why not throw that era in. That's why I thought that.
So my next question is: The Byzantines were still powerull at the time. Do they have a role in the game?
Arsan

Post by Arsan »

Hi
Byzantines (Easter Roman Empire) definitely are one of the main actors/powers of Great invasions.
If fact if i recall correctly they are the only nation you can play since the beginning to the end of the camping.
All the rest are born, develop, decay and fall or at least transform into something else along that period. Quite a turbulent era! [X(]

About barbars/barbarians... [8D]
I think the term was invented by the classical Greeks. They apply it to any non greek speaking nation, and certainly have a pejorative meaning. Bar-bar was the supposed gibberish noise all those non civilised people did when they talked (like blah, blah [:D])
In any case on his original meaning, "barbarian" also included highly civilized (from the actual point of view, not the ancient Greeks one) nations like Egyptians, Persians, Phoenicians...
Romans for example were barbarians to the Greeks... at least until Roma conquered and assimilate them becoming the new "civilized" nation [:D]

Regards!

Regards
Primasprit

Post by Primasprit »

[...]I would like to know the max resolutions available and if we can confirm that one can play it on Vista, however. I suspect that compatibility mode should run it fine.

Highest resolution is 1024x768, windowed or full screen. I will install it on my Vista64 and report if it is running there.
AGEOD Dev. Team
Primasprit

Post by Primasprit »

[...]
The price at AGEOD is 19.99$/14.99€ at the moment, I suspect it will cost the same on Matrix.
AGEOD Dev. Team
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Yes, it should be priced at $19.99, regarding resolutions I was under the impression that it scaled to match whatever you're running at, but I'll double check that.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
vaalen

Post by vaalen »

Erik,

Some of us have the old strategy first version of the game. How will this one differ? Will there be any kind of price break for those who have the older version?

Just thought I'd ask
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

According to the Calvinus at the forum, the max resolution the game can be set to is 1024x768 (or it can be set to 800x600).

Of course, most laptops will scale this up, but at some degredation.

I don't know if it can be run in a window.

Doh... must have missed some of the earlier posts saying the same things, disregard this.

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: vaalen
Some of us have the old strategy first version of the game. How will this one differ? Will there be any kind of price break for those who have the older version?

I don't know what version the old SF release was or what it contained, so unfortunately I can't answer that. We also have no upgrade info for other releases, but we are pricing this at $19.99 so that it won't break the bank.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Arsan

Post by Arsan »

ORIGINAL: vaalen

Erik,

Just thought I'd ask

Hi vaalen!

The difference between SF and new AGEOD/Matrix version is the newly released patch, that is only compatible with the new version.
But the good news are that if you have some proof that you SF game is a legit one, you can send them to the AGEOD guys and they will send you a new serial compatible with the new patch.
Check this thread about the new patch and SF games

http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8889

Regards

EDIT: i forgot the bad news... that most of AGEOD team is on vacations right now, so maybe you will have to wait a little for an answer [;)]
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

This looks interesting and will provide a good break from WW2 action. It has been added to my buy list.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Seeadler

Post by Seeadler »

ORIGINAL: JMass

I remember you my graphical mod:

http://rapidshare.de/files/40053115/jm_gi_mod_1.0.zip.html

[:)]

Hi, JMass!

Is there any mirror for your mod? I got problems downloading at Rapidshare.
JMass

Post by JMass »

ORIGINAL: Seeadler

No, any suggestion?
"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection ... dgame&ff=1
Seeadler

Post by Seeadler »

ORIGINAL: JMass

No, any suggestion?
I could send you a PM with my e-mail address but you'd have to change your preferences.
JMass

Post by JMass »

I could send you a PM with my e-mail address but you'd have to change your preferences.

I can receive normally PM.

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection ... dgame&ff=1
vaalen

Post by vaalen »

Arsan,

Thanks for letting me know the difference. I will contact The Ageod guys when they get back
robbersonr

Post by robbersonr »

And yes, the game is pausable real time, like the EU series (at least as far as I know).

SoM

Well, now I am confused. Matrix's page states that this game is IGOUGO.

You are saying that it is RTS that can be paused.

Which is it?
JMass

Post by JMass »

ORIGINAL: robbersonr
Well, now I am confused. Matrix's page states that this game is IGOUGO.

You are saying that it is RTS that can be paused.

Which is it?

GI is pausable real time.

Return to “Great Invasions”