64 bit Vista and Matrix games

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
39battalion

64 bit Vista and Matrix games

Post by 39battalion »

I can see from other threads in the forum that most,if not all, Matrix games can run on Vista.

However does it make any difference if it is the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Vista ?

I am about to get a new computer and have the choice of 32 or 64 bit Vista so this is an important question for me.

Thx.
hadberz

RE: 64 bit Vista and Matrix games

Post by hadberz »

I use 64 bit Vista on my main computer, the only game I have issues with is For Liberty, but it's a pain on 32 bit Vista as well. Everything else that I have runs fine as far as I can tell.
AMD 5800X 8 core 3.8 GHz
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi (F63d Bios)
32 GB G-Skill DDR4 3200
MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6950 XT 16GB
Dell S2721DGF 2560x1440 165Hz
Dell S2719DGF 2560x1440 144Hz
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe drive
Win 11 Pro
39battalion

Post by 39battalion »

Thanks much
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Based on our testing so far, if it works fine in 32-bit Vista it will work fine in 64-bit Vista. The same unfortunately does not apply to 32-bit XP and 64-bit XP, but on the Vista side they seem interchangeable as far as game compatibility.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

fwiw the Scenario Editor in Harpoon: Commander's Edition is a 16-bit application and won't run on Vista 64 as a result (64-bit MS Operating systems dropped the 16-bit subsystem).  The game itself and all the other tidbits work fine on Vista 64. 
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
TonyAAA

Post by TonyAAA »

I posted a response regarding 64 bit Vista, on a TOAW 3 support thread. Myself and another poster have sound problems (as in NO sound at all) with this title on Vista x64. It worked fine on XP and 32bit Vista, but Vista x64 has problems for me.

edit--nevermind, found a fix.
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Based on our testing so far, if it works fine in 32-bit Vista it will work fine in 64-bit Vista. The same unfortunately does not apply to 32-bit XP and 64-bit XP, but on the Vista side they seem interchangeable as far as game compatibility.

Erik, as I just posted in the General Forum, I haven't had any problems running Matrix titles on Windows XP 64. I haven't installed my entire collection yet but I've done quite a wide spectrum of games now to be pretty confident on compatibility. I don't know if Microsoft did any enhancements to the product since it was first introduced to improve things, but that's where things stand now... I'd quit warning people away.

As I mentioned in my other posting, Matrix games do pop up a warning that I have an incompatible Operating System, but allows me to click on "Continue" and it installs and runs fine. I'd remove or modify that disclaimer if I were you. Since you can continue through it, it really serves no purpose. If someone was trying to install the game on Linux, for example, it would be better to issue an explanatory notice after the installer stalled. I can't imagine anyone who uses Linux trying to install a windows based game anyway, unless they are running a Windows emulator and that's another issue altogether.
Signature? Maybe someday over the rainbow.
Stefan Reuter

Post by Stefan Reuter »

Have installed War in the Pacific today on a Visa x64 system. No problem so far but when I start the program I get an "Fatal error 999" message while loading. Then it ending..... Any idea what I can do? [:(]
Stefan Reuter

Post by Stefan Reuter »

O.k., have re-installed it and get it running with version 1.804. The 1.806 is each time crashing with fatal error 999.
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

ORIGINAL: Stefan Reuter

O.k., have re-installed it and get it running with version 1.804. The 1.806 is each time crashing with fatal error 999.

I'm not running Vista and don't know the O/S, but does it have a "compatibility" feature like XP? i.e. right click on the startup icon, select properties, and then Compatibility. Try running it under XP emulation if it does.

BTW I've now installed my entire Matrix Games collection under XP 64 and have had no problems with anything.
Signature? Maybe someday over the rainbow.
Stefan Reuter

Post by Stefan Reuter »

Thank you Valkyrie. Yes, compatibility mode is also working in Vista. Would be my next trial. But I cleared the problem. I had to install 1.804 FIRST and then 1.806! Now all is fine.
DEB

Post by DEB »

Hello,

A) Can anyone tell me if the following Matrix games work OK on Windows Vista?

1. Uncommon Valour
2. Campaigns on the Danube
3. John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars

( If you have the game/s and you use Windows Vista, your comments would be particularly useful. )

B) Does anyone know if Matrix are planning to update these games to make them Windows Vista compatable if they need it?

( If they just need some user "adjustment/s" to make them work correctly, can anyone please advise the nature and detail of the "adjustment/s" req'd. )

Many thanks.
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

ORIGINAL: DEB

Hello,

A) Can anyone tell me if the following Matrix games work OK on Windows Vista?

1. Uncommon Valour
2. Campaigns on the Danube
3. John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars

( If you have the game/s and you use Windows Vista, your comments would be particularly useful. )

B) Does anyone know if Matrix are planning to update these games to make them Windows Vista compatable if they need it?

( If they just need some user "adjustment/s" to make them work correctly, can anyone please advise the nature and detail of the "adjustment/s" req'd. )

Many thanks.

Hi DEB,

I've got Uncommmon Valor and JT's Battleground Napoleonic Wars and they both work fine on Vista home premium.
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”