Display problem with WiR?

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Nemo121

Display problem with WiR?

Post by Nemo121 »

Hi,

I just re-downloaded this and for some number all of the numbers which should appear on the screens ( ie. Bagration 44 or FW 190 ) are just splotches of scrambled pixels, making the game unplayable.

This is a fresh install ( I just downloaded it again a few minutes ago ) running on Win 95. Is this a known problem and do I have to change the font settings or somesuch?
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
TDV

RE: Display problem with WiR?

Post by TDV »

I have the same problem on the old notebook (Windows'98). I see everything on the screen except numbers (zero is visible only). Looks like a system font is wrong. I was unable to change it back from wrong Arial to the right San Serif.
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

don't know your system specs but you might try a program called DosBox I think. It will run any older game great in XP and even Vista perhaps.

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Yeah, it is a system font issue.  Good luck.  I don't think that DOSbox will fix this as the d/l game is a Windows game now.

It seems as though there is a configuration utility in Win Setup that allows you to specify your default fonts ... but not sure how to access once Windows is installed ...
Pax
Summit

Post by Summit »

Hi:

Had the same problem as above.  I downloaded the DOSBox software and it works great; at least the latest version!  Fixed all the the issues with the sploches over numbers and the game seems to run fine with no other issues or errors.  I use Windows XP so I do not know if DOSBox will work or fix this issue under VISTA, although I see no reason why it should not work.

I had this problem on my notebook, and also wonder (in addition to font issues) if it may also have something to do with having a 9:16 ratio display?  I have no issues running WIR on my desktop; same version of Windows, and same computer manufacturer, but with a 3:4 ratio display.  

Some advise.  DOSBox is an enhanced MS-DOS emulator program (DOS 5.0 emulation) that runs an MS-DOS virtual machine under Windows through which it loads and runs WIR.  While you can configure WIR to load from the Windows desktop using this program, a limited knowledge of MS-DOS, the DOS prompt commands, and DOS batch files will be of help for installation and configuration. Those of you who are only familiar with Windows may have a bit of a learning curve although the tutrial does offer a reasonably good step-by-step for configuring the program. Note that DOSBox is also free, although a donation is requested if you like the software.

The software can be downloaded from www.dosbox.com.

I do not know if anyone is having similar issues with Pacific War (PACWAR), but DOSBox also seems to run this game with no issues.

I hope this info helps.

RC
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I am running WIR with VISTA, using DosBox .72, with DosShell frontend from Loonies. You may have to set the 'Program Compatibilty' of dosbox to Windows 98, or 95, to resolve any display issues. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

I am running WIR with VISTA, using DosBox .72, with DosShell frontend from Loonies. You may have to set the 'Program Compatibilty' of dosbox to Windows 98, or 95, to resolve any display issues. [:)]

Sorry ! should have said that DOSShell is available form DOSbox/Downloads/Tools. There are other frontend programs in the list, but DOSShell works for me. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”