sub question

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

cato13

sub question

Post by cato13 »

how do people handle subs? is it considered gamey to group them into small wolfpacks of 4 or 5? i fight it a lot more manageable this way instead of havin to move 50 or 50 subs about constantly.
Gem35

RE: sub question

Post by Gem35 »

I use them in single TF, feel free to use them anyways you like but they appear to be more effective alone, though I have seen them attack shipping in groups but only one sub attacks.
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: tonedog

how do people handle subs? is it considered gamey to group them into small wolfpacks of 4 or 5? i fight it a lot more manageable this way instead of havin to move 50 or 50 subs about constantly.

Sort of anti-gamey...[:D]

You can do it, but it limits your subs effectiveness since only one sub in the TF will ever attack... plus, the larger the number of ships in the TF, the more likely they are to be spotted (and attacked).

Be better to leave most of them at home if managing them is a problem.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Personally with the high dud rate of American torpedos for the first part of the war, I tend to use mine in other roles...mostly laying little minefields all over the place.  The mines actually have a better chance of doing damage for the first year of the war. [8|]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

Subs in single unit TF's when on the hunt.

I group them (usually 5) for transport or minelaying missions.

Seems to work, and managing them like that works fine.

Regards,
Feltan
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Personally with the high dud rate of American torpedos for the first part of the war, I tend to use mine in other roles...mostly laying little minefields all over the place.  The mines actually have a better chance of doing damage for the first year of the war. [8|]

Yep - which is what the USN thought as well, so they got this part down pretty well.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

I only use them in Human Controlled cruise speed Wolf Packs getting to their patrol location, then I break them up and turn them over to the computer.

cato13

Post by cato13 »

yeah this is what ive started doin. how do u find the subs operate once u put them in AI control? does the AI send them to useful hunting grounds? most people ive read say that they never put their subs under AI control.
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

I only use them in Human Controlled cruise speed Wolf Packs getting to their patrol location, then I break them up and turn them over to the computer.

OOooh, a man who likes to live dangerously!! [X(] [:D]

Well, don't be too surprised when some troops decide to march off in some random direction, or your AKs sail away without your wanting them too... once you allow the computer to control ANYTHING, you are opening a Pandora's box... the computer can and will start to seize control of random stuff whenever its electronic whims strike it (if it has control of even one thing).
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

OOooh, a man who likes to live dangerously!! [X(] [:D]

Well, don't be too surprised when some troops decide to march off in some random direction, or your AKs sail away without your wanting them too... once you allow the computer to control ANYTHING, you are opening a Pandora's box... the computer can and will start to seize control of random stuff whenever its electronic whims strike it (if it has control of even one thing).

Yeah, I've taken to calling my AI opponent Hal. He wants to win so badly, he tries to move my pieces around.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”