OT - WWII quiz

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Orm

RE: OT - WWII quiz

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: terje439

ORIGINAL: Orm

Q: What was the purpose of the British "Falcon (Interceptor) Unit"?

No idea, so guessing, and putting ALOT of weight on the name of the unit here [:D]
-it's main purpose was to hunt down Axis mail pidgeons!

Am I close?

You are indeed correct.

Britain conscripted birds into service. They also had "National Pidgeon Service" and "Falcon Control Unit" to protect the carrier pidgeons.

The biggest operation during the war for birds was in the Italian Campaign when US sent over 10000 messages with pidgeons because the mountainous terrain limited radio communications.

-Orm
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

This is trickier and hopefully hard to Google. What strange method of guiding American air-launched weapons was suggested by a famous researcher towards the end of the Second World War?

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
cockney

Post by cockney »

Q. When was the 21.Panzer-Division ordered formed by the Oberkommando des Heeres from the 5.Leicht-Division?
never piss off a sgt major
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: cockney

Q. When was the 21.Panzer-Division ordered formed by the Oberkommando des Heeres from the 5.Leicht-Division?

September -41 was it not?
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Which two naval vessels - one Italian, one German were named after the same historical character? 
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

This is trickier and hopefully hard to Google. What strange method of guiding American air-launched weapons was suggested by a famous researcher towards the end of the Second World War?

Cheers, Neilster

Damn this one I have no idea about. And not as easy as the anti-pidgeon unit to guess either...
I know the USA had radio-guided as well as free-fall gyro-guided weaponry, but I am betting those are not the one you are after...

Trained dolphins with a homing device?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1

Terje - did you really get that without looking it up? If so [;)] then that`s impressive

terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Warspite1

Terje - did you really get that without looking it up? If so [;)] then that`s impressive

Nah, but not on the web thou. Used Lidell Hart [:)]

tigercub

Post by tigercub »

when was the worlds first computer made and what for?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: tigercub

In the 70s and for playing games?? [:D]

Could you specify a bit more? Since mechanical comptuers have been around for some 2k years

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Current unanswered questions:

-Neilster: What strange method of guiding American air-launched weapons was suggested by a famous researcher towards the end of the Second World War?

-Warspite1: Which two naval vessels - one Italian, one German were named after the same historical character?

-Tigercub: when was the worlds first computer made and what for?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1

Don`t know what that`s got to do with WWII - but from my computer studies lessons back in the early 80`s wasn`t it something to do with Charles Babbage and Napier`s bones?? Late 1700`s/early 1800`s.

Neilster

Post by Neilster »

when was the worlds first computer made and what for?
Warspite1

Don`t know what that`s got to do with WWII - but from my computer studies lessons back in the early 80`s wasn`t it something to do with Charles Babbage and Napier`s bones?? Late 1700`s/early 1800`s.
Babbage, working from the 1820s until his death in 1871, didn't complete his mechanical computing machines. He kept tinkering with the designs and was a hard man to work for. His Difference Engine has since been built and it works. His Analytical Engine would have been a true computer.

There are some other contenders but generally it's considered the first electronic computer was Colossus, built by the British. It was used for code-breaking and generally on the Fish (German High Command) intercepts if I remember correctly.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

when was the worlds first computer made and what for?
Warspite1

Babbage, working from the 1820s until his death in 1871, didn't complete his mechanical computing machines. He kept tinkering with the designs and was a hard man to work for. His Difference Engine has since been built and it works. His Analytical Engine would have been a true computer.

There are some other contenders but generally it's considered the first electronic computer was Colossus, built by the British. It was used for code-breaking and generally on the Fish (German High Command) intercepts if I remember correctly.

Cheers, Neilster
Warspite1

Neilster

That answers my - "Don`t know what that`s got to do with WWII" - comment then doesn`t it? [;)]

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Seems this stopped up as soon as we got a few really hard ones. Oh well, I'll throw in an easy one then;

Q: Which highranking member of the Luftwaffe (early years) was more interested in testing the new models instead of running his own office?

NeBert

Post by NeBert »

Seems this stopped up as soon as we got a few really hard ones. Oh well, I'll throw in an easy one then;

Q: Which highranking member of the Luftwaffe (early years) was more interested in testing the new models instead of running his own office?
I guess you mean Ernst Udet?
NeBert
Norman42

Post by Norman42 »

Good fun. Ok, here are a few head scratchers:

Q: What was the task of the 813th Pioneirkompanie of the Wehrmacth in Paris in August 1944?

Q: Who did Hitler call The Most Feared Man In Europe?

Q: What was the nickname of William Joyce, the British-American who broadcast English language propaganda for Germany?

Q: Identify the most decorated (ie medals, awards, citations) American unit in WW2.

Q: What was the code name for the US invasion of Okinawa on April 1, 1945?

Q: Name the Polish Division that fought on the side of the Soviets against the Germans.

Q: Identify the pilot who flew more combat missions then anyone else during the war.

And here are some real tough ones:

Q: Who was the youngest man serving in the US Navy to win a Purple Heart and Bronze Star, and how old was he?

Q: Who was sent searching Cairo to locate a mansion for Rommel to take as his HQ in his so-to-be-accoplished capture of the city?

Q: What was Hitler's dog's name?

-------------

C.L.Norman
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: NeBert

I guess you mean Ernst Udet?

I did indeed!

Norman42

Post by Norman42 »

Which two naval vessels - one Italian, one German were named after the same historical character?

Hmm.

Gonna take a guess at Julius Ceasar? (SS Kaiser Jules, and the battleship Guilio Caesare)
-------------

C.L.Norman
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Norman42

Good fun. Ok, here are a few head scratchers:

Q: What was the task of the 813th Pioneirkompanie of the Wehrmacth in Paris in August 1944?

Q: Who did Hitler call The Most Feared Man In Europe?

Q: What was the nickname of William Joyce, the British-American who broadcast English language propaganda for Germany?

Q: Identify the most decorated (ie medals, awards, citations) American unit in WW2.

Q: What was the code name for the US invasion of Okinawa on April 1, 1945?

Q: Name the Polish Division that fought on the side of the Soviets against the Germans.

Q: Identify the pilot who flew more combat missions then anyone else during the war.

And here are some real tough ones:

Q: Who was the youngest man serving in the US Navy to win a Purple Heart and Bronze Star, and how old was he?

Q: Who was sent searching Cairo to locate a mansion for Rommel to take as his HQ in his so-to-be-accoplished capture of the city?

Q: What was Hitler's dog's name?

1. Didn't someone get the order to destroy Paris but they had ridiculously few men to do it? Was it these guys?

2. Otto Skorzenzy

3. Lord Haw Haw

7. Rudel, maybe

10. Blondie

Dunno the others and looking them up is against the spirit of the quiz.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “World in Flames”