June Release: WitPTracker now at 1.6!

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Nemo121

RE: WitPTracker 1.0

Post by Nemo121 »

Suggestions:

1. It'd be really handy to have the ability to remove columns we don't use. E.g. I never care about the "TOE Number" or ID Number in the LCU Production screen and it'd be nice to be able to devote that screen space to other columns I do use.

2. Float Platrol  do NOT show in the Air Production screen. H6Ks etc are listed as FLOAT not FLOAT PATROL so I think you need to fix this designation to get it to synch up properly.

3. The AIR UPGRADE screen works for the first model selected but then no longer works at all for me. No matter what model I select the information is the same as it was for the first model. It is like it is frozen at the first model.

4. When I look at some of the bases where the ALERTS are telling me supplies are less than required I find that same have negative modifiers in front of the tons of supply and some don't. Is this a bug?

5. It'd be great to be able to track supplies, fuel, oil and resources on a turn by turn basis on the SUMMARY screen.

6. Any possibility of making it so that if we double-click on a base on the ALERT page ( or squadron leader) that the programme will take us to that base or pilot. It would just help me to quickly figure out just where this squadron leader who improved his stats was and WHY he improved his stats.

7. AIR GROUPS AND PILOTS screen. Would be great to add LEADERSHIP and AGGRESSION to the INSPIRATION and AIR ratings already there. I suggest Leadership, inspirations, air and aggression as the best order. This would help quickly see where bomber and fighter units had the wrong leaders.

Also when sorting it by HQ ALL of the HQs which have ARMY in their name do not work. I think this is because the name in the drop-down box is different than the name in the column ( column doesn't contain ARMY while drop-down box is ). So I think this is a typo bug and relatively easily fixed.

Lastly, it would be really great if we could re-assign entire regions instead of having to go through base by base.

E.g. I have the Soviet Region, the Manchukuo Region, the Korean Region, the Northern China Region, Southern China and Siam Regions.

Now, I would like to link the Manchukuo and Korean and Northern China regions together so that for game purposes they are viewed as one "Super-Region" ( since the are all linked by rail and road nets) since that's how the game treats them in-game. Sure I can do this by re-assigning EACH BASE to this new super-region but that is tedious and quite buggy in that I have to delete old regions entirely to re-assign units.

This could be done quite simple by creating a "subordination page" and allowing players to flow-chart the relationships between regions. This change really is needed to get the most of the excellent economic data harvesting you have both done.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Nemo,
I'll answer some of the questions you have raised ... others Floyd and I will have to look into ... but thanks.
ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Suggestions:

1. It'd be really handy to have the ability to remove columns we don't use. E.g. I never care about the "TOE Number" or ID Number in the LCU Production screen and it'd be nice to be able to devote that screen space to other columns I do use.
This is a good suggestion, but putting a tickbox into each column header would take time and there are other pressing issues at present. I will try to make a simplistic view however for next build.
2. Float Platrol  do NOT show in the Air Production screen. H6Ks etc are listed as FLOAT not FLOAT PATROL so I think you need to fix this designation to get it to synch up properly.
Actually, they are listed as patrol ... The designation is taken straight from the DB entry ... so I can't fix it, unless I map individual planes, which I'd rather not do. It is a mod thing. Oop, just checked the old build ... the new one is this ...

3. The AIR UPGRADE screen works for the first model selected but then no longer works at all for me. No matter what model I select the information is the same as it was for the first model. It is like it is frozen at the first model.
This screen is still buggy for EA and for Allies ...(although I've never had a lock up) I'm trying to get it right before next release, but no promises. For stock and BB, it seems to work ok. And I liked your previous idea of an overall picture ... but that is still something I'm thinking about.
4. When I look at some of the bases where the ALERTS are telling me supplies are less than required I find that same have negative modifiers in front of the tons of supply and some don't. Is this a bug?
This bug we think has been solved for next release ... Floyd has done some great stuff trying to fix this & other incorrect read issues.
5. It'd be great to be able to track supplies, fuel, oil and resources on a turn by turn basis on the SUMMARY screen.
I think you will be happily surprised by the next build [;)]
Also when sorting it by HQ ALL of the HQs which have ARMY in their name do not work. I think this is because the name in the drop-down box is different than the name in the column ( column doesn't contain ARMY while drop-down box is ). So I think this is a typo bug and relatively easily fixed.
Yes, known issue and should be fixed ... I think it works on the LCU production screen, right ?
6. Any possibility of making it so that if we double-click on a base on the ALERT page ( or squadron leader) that the programme will take us to that base or pilot. It would just help me to quickly figure out just where this squadron leader who improved his stats was and WHY he improved his stats.

7. AIR GROUPS AND PILOTS screen. Would be great to add LEADERSHIP and AGGRESSION to the INSPIRATION and AIR ratings already there. I suggest Leadership, inspirations, air and aggression as the best order. This would help quickly see where bomber and fighter units had the wrong leaders.

Lastly, it would be really great if we could re-assign entire regions instead of having to go through base by base.

E.g. I have the Soviet Region, the Manchukuo Region, the Korean Region, the Northern China Region, Southern China and Siam Regions.

Now, I would like to link the Manchukuo and Korean and Northern China regions together so that for game purposes they are viewed as one "Super-Region" ( since the are all linked by rail and road nets) since that's how the game treats them in-game. Sure I can do this by re-assigning EACH BASE to this new super-region but that is tedious and quite buggy in that I have to delete old regions entirely to re-assign units.

This could be done quite simple by creating a "subordination page" and allowing players to flow-chart the relationships between regions. This change really is needed to get the most of the excellent economic data harvesting you have both done.
I defer to Floyd about this ...

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (36.31 KiB) Viewed 107 times
bbbf

Post by bbbf »

One thing I have noticed is that on the ship repair screen, when you select a ship, the history of damage always shows zero for previous turns.
Robert Lee
floydg

Post by floydg »

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Suggestions:

This comes for "free" with the Java table. You can drag columns around by left-clicking on the header and moving it left or right. But that only "stays" for the current session.

Wholesale customization is something we can consider, but I'd prefer to do it in a uniform manner and not ad-hoc (hint, hint, Damian...)

Defer to Damian.

My applied mathematics degree has really served me well -- the expression was backwards... [8|]

Which summary screen do you mean?

I keep thinking of doing that, but then I get these 8-point list of bugs and suggestions that derail that work... [:D]

But it has been on my list since the beginning.

Okay.

Yeah, that was a simple fix.

Interesting idea. I'm not sure how much we'd have to re-do, since a lot of filtering and grouping that is based on regions assumes it's not hierarchical.

On a short-term, I could provide some function that "merges" two regions into one.
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

ORIGINAL: floydg

Wholesale customization is something we can consider, but I'd prefer to do it in a uniform manner and not ad-hoc (hint, hint, Damian...)

Maybe the perfect solution would be to provide a query manager tailored for the WitPTracker Database, something like the Query Manager in MS Access (or perhaps just something like IBM SPUFI from the DB2 environment, an interface to run user-written SQL query code against the database). Then everybody with the knowledge, time, motivation and energy could roll his own tailor made queries, output being displayed in a dynamically defined grid table. This would of course have to be strictly read-only. I confess I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, but it would save you having to glue all kinds of knobs on to your datasets for people with special requirements.
DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!
floydg

Post by floydg »

ORIGINAL: mikemike

ORIGINAL: floydg

Maybe the perfect solution would be to provide a query manager tailored for the WitPTracker Database, something like the Query Manager in MS Access (or perhaps just something like IBM SPUFI from the DB2 environment, an interface to run user-written SQL query code against the database). Then everybody with the knowledge, time, motivation and energy could roll his own tailor made queries, output being displayed in a dynamically defined grid table. This would of course have to be strictly read-only. I confess I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, but it would save you having to glue all kinds of knobs on to your datasets for people with special requirements.

The information is stored in an SQL database using the HSQLDB engine. This engine is incorporated in OpenOffice 2.0, supposedly.
But writing a generic tool is not easy...
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Merging two regions would give most of the required functionality and save a lot of time. I am presuming that the merging could be sequential.

E.g. Merge Korea and Manchukuo first then Merge the Korea/Manchukuo Super-region with North Chin and then Merge the Super-region which results from THAT merger with the Soviet Union ( effectively merging Korea, Manchukuo, Soviet Union and North China into one big happy co-prosperity sphere [8D]

By SUMMARY screen I meant the INDUSTRY / GLOBAL screen which lists HI, merchant, naval etc reserves. It would be nice to just add supplies, fuel, oil, resources in there.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Guys, does tracker work with Vista?
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: Chris H
I'm using Vista on my laptop to program and to play ... so I don;t think you should have a problem ...
not that I'm a huge fan of Vista, but at least I get less crashes than my old XP box.

So as long as you install JRE version 6 on Vista, you'll be flying ...
floydg

Post by floydg »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Works fine for me...
Roger Neilson II

Post by Roger Neilson II »

and for me....

Roger
Chris21wen

RE: WitPTracker now at 1.1.1

Post by Chris21wen »

Yet another suggstion. Can you show Mines at bases please.
Bogo Mil

Post by Bogo Mil »

I want to say thank you for this great tool!

I have a few suggestions, too:
- Can you add an alert "marching LCU reached it's destination"?
- In the air losses screen, the same filters as in the air production screen would be useful, imho. (e.g. show only Japanese fighters)

- There is a small error in the production chart: New industry costs 10 manpower and 10 HI, not 1.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Chris -- Can you show Mines at bases please.
Floyd and I are working on it, but at present the information only shows the total mines in a hex, not the breakdown between Allied V Japanese mines ... but we hope to be able to do this in future releases ...
- In the air losses screen, the same filters as in the air production screen would be useful, imho. (e.g. show only Japanese fighters)

- There is a small error in the production chart: New industry costs 10 manpower and 10 HI, not 1.

The idea about the alert, is a good idea, but Floyd will have to look into that at a future date ...

The Chart is from Apollo 11's original chart ... So a bit of copying and pasting should fix this ... or you could edit the file witpecon.gif file yourself (in folder images)...

F6frc

Post by F6frc »

Absolutely awesome utility! Just downloaded it and ran it. It ran perfectly, no errors, and what a wealth of Info! Certainly will help noobs like me get a handle on the mechanics!
floydg

Post by floydg »

ORIGINAL: Bogo Mil

I want to say thank you for this great tool!

I have a few suggestions, too:

You're welcome.

I'll work on those two items. The first one is helpful - I like that feature when you play vs. AI...
munited18

Post by munited18 »

Hi Floyd,

I, too, have just downloaded this tool and I believe that it is going to be the very thing to help me get a grasp on the entire strategic scope of the War in the Pacific. I am decent on the tactical side, but have struggled with the other 99% of this game. I am all ready to invade Tokyo and then realize that I have no transports, beans, bullets, or band aids, etc. Really sucks.
Anyway, this thing is awesome. I do not know if you are still taking suggestions but I was wonder if you could include enemy suck messages in the alerts page. Not anything to get past the fog of war, just those ships that are mentioned during the processing of the turn. Also, can we bring in the sunken enemy ships from the information screen inside the game so we can see which ships we have sunk on the other side in the Tracker Victory screen or somewhere?
I hate to bother you with this, but that is what us a little people are here for!! [&o]
You are what you do, when it counts.
floydg

Post by floydg »

ORIGINAL: munited18

Hi Floyd,

I, too, have just downloaded this tool and I believe that it is going to be the very thing to help me get a grasp on the entire strategic scope of the War in the Pacific. I am decent on the tactical side, but have struggled with the other 99% of this game. I am all ready to invade Tokyo and then realize that I have no transports, beans, bullets, or band aids, etc. Really sucks.
Anyway, this thing is awesome. I do not know if you are still taking suggestions but I was wonder if you could include enemy suck messages in the alerts page. Not anything to get past the fog of war, just those ships that are mentioned during the processing of the turn. Also, can we bring in the sunken enemy ships from the information screen inside the game so we can see which ships we have sunk on the other side in the Tracker Victory screen or somewhere?
I hate to bother you with this, but that is what us a little people are here for!! [&o]

Comments and suggestions are always welcome. Our list is growing, but we're working on it.

The current tool only reads from the save file (WITPxxx.PWS), not the associated text files. We could add that in the future, but that would be distant future. Another tool from Bhodi does show information from the text files.

We do want to show the sunk enemy ships, except we're having a little trouble making sure the FOW is not violated. So until then, we won't show it.

We're working on a new release for this weekend with a lot of fixes and some items suggested here.

Good luck collecting those beans, bullets and bandages in the mean time.

Floyd
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Just sent my final code to Floyd ...

The list of changes are fairly extensive and I hope that you enjoy a more trouble free build (famous last words!!)

Some screen shots ... although not all that we have done ... Floyd can explain that when he releases.

Attachments
prodH.jpg
prodH.jpg (83.71 KiB) Viewed 108 times
eloso

Post by eloso »

This tool just keep getting better. Thanks guys!

I was notified this morning that a Java update was available. I installed it and your program still works. [:)]

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”